Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Ram replacement

25 Jun 2011   #1
DrBejar

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
Ram replacement

Hey everyone!
I have a quick question, i want to buy new ram for my pc, but not sure what to find to buy them. all i know is it's DDr2 and i want to go up to 8G of ram, i got 5G of ram at the moment.

Windows 7 professional 64bit
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core Processor 5400+
5G ram / ATi Radeon HD 4650 1G
480W power supply
going to upgrade video card to either 5850 and 5870
or ATI 5670 since it's a mid range causal gamer card.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jun 2011   #2
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Welcome
The best advice that I can give you is, Do not buy 3gb of ram. This is called mix and match a big NO No. Go out and buy all that you need.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2011   #3
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

I agree totally, do not mix and match RAM.

Run Crucial's memory scanner for best advice on what you can install and in what configuration.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Jun 2011   #4
TBoyd

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

I assume that your motherboard supports dual channel memory, as you haven't listed the exact model in your specs. If you already have 2x2Gb matched dual-channel memory modules, then buy another 2x2Gb dual channel set of modules. If you don't already have a dual channel set, get 2 sets of 2x2Gb dual channel modules & be sure to place them in the correct dimm slots per ASUS' recommendations.

It would help greatly if you can get the specific model for your motherboard. You could go to RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com & run the system scan. It will give you the info you need to choose your ram. It is a great tool to use in your case - no matter whether you buy Crucial ram or not.

Sorry - After posting I noticed that SeaVixen beat me to it!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2011   #5
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

It makes a change TBoyd. It's not often I beat anybody at anything!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2011   #6
DrBejar

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Welcome
The best advice that I can give you is, Do not buy 3gb of ram. This is called mix and match a big NO No. Go out and buy all that you need.
i didnt put the ram in before.
it's 2G, 1G, 1G, 1G so i should buy 2x2G? or buy a whole new 4 set?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2011   #7
DrBejar

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
I agree totally, do not mix and match RAM.

Run Crucial's memory scanner for best advice on what you can install and in what configuration.
Memory upgrades from Crucial.com - Determine My Memory Needs
this is what i got.
i buy things on amazon because i feel more better there.
not sure if you can help me pick it out on there?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2011   #8
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Go buy a whole new set. RAM is not that expensive. You never want to mix and match. Why open yourself for potential problems?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2011   #9
DrBejar

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TBoyd View Post
I assume that your motherboard supports dual channel memory, as you haven't listed the exact model in your specs. If you already have 2x2Gb matched dual-channel memory modules, then buy another 2x2Gb dual channel set of modules. If you don't already have a dual channel set, get 2 sets of 2x2Gb dual channel modules & be sure to place them in the correct dimm slots per ASUS' recommendations.

It would help greatly if you can get the specific model for your motherboard. You could go to RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com & run the system scan. It will give you the info you need to choose your ram. It is a great tool to use in your case - no matter whether you buy Crucial ram or not.

Sorry - After posting I noticed that SeaVixen beat me to it!
it's all good, heres what i got, posting it to you so you can also see.
Memory upgrades from Crucial.com - Determine My Memory Needs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2011   #10
DrBejar

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

If anyone of you guys dont mind helping me pick the right ones on Amazon?
that's where i buy stuff and i feel more safe.
i will buy a whole new set to get to 8G of ram since each solt can hold max 2G.
please and thank you guys for helping me.

is this the right ram?
http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Channel-PC...020545&sr=1-10

45$ for the 4G of ram
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Ram replacement




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Help with replacement of HDD
I have a HP DV7-3160us and the hard drive went out. Did a hard drive check error (305). Hard drive failed. Went on newegg.com to search for hard drives. Do i just need an internal 2.5 HDD, or is there a certain type i need for it?
Hardware & Devices
Best Replacement for H60
I am looking to replace my Corsair H60 with something better than only needs one fan. My case does not support those two fan models so I am somewhat restricted. I want to replace it as my 3770k is OC to 4.7 which needs something a little better for cooling. Any suggestions? I have already looked on...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
CPU Replacement
Hey All, My Old Cpu is Starting to Slow Down, Its Main Ghz is Starting to Drop. Its a 2.4 Ghz Dual Core Celeron E3200. Now I've Just Shopped Around and i've Found a Replacement, Intel Core 2 Duo E7600, S775, Wolfdale 45nm, 3.06 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB Cache, 11.5x Ratio, 65W
Hardware & Devices
Replacement
Hi There, AS Windows SteadyState isnt combatable with Windows 7, I need to find a replacement. Does anyone know of any good replacements they can recommend> Regards Toby Hutton
Software
replacement for wmp?
Somewhere on these forums I saw several recommendations for software to replace wmp. I'm looking for an application that is preferably freeware that will work as good or better ...maybe address some of the problems people are having with wmp (I haven't run across any myself but my wife plays...
Music, Pictures & Video
Replacement DVD
Hi, I cannot find my windows 7 dvd, I am thinking that one of my little ones was playing in the office and threw it away or hid it somewhere. . I have the product key but no dvd. Is there a way get a replacement dvd and just use the key that i have. I really dont want to spend the $300 that i spent...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App