Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: USB Diskette/hard disk


24 Jul 2009   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 
USB Diskette/hard disk

So I went in my BIOS on my HP laptop and seen in boot settings USBDiskette/hard disk or drive, so I made it to boot before my hard drive and all I got was {missing OS} so I went back and made it to boot after my hard drive. So how does it work with that setting and what is it used for ???. I still had my usb mouse pluged in and a usb 2 gig momery stick in, so then what is a USB floppy. It is just a question and wanted to know more about it.



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jul 2009   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by banderz777 View Post
So I went in my BIOS on my HP laptop and seen in boot settings USBDiskette/hard disk or drive, so I made it to boot before my hard drive and all I got was {missing OS} so I went back and made it to boot after my hard drive. So how does it work with that setting and what is it used for ???. I still had my usb mouse pluged in and a usb 2 gig momery stick in, so then what is a USB floppy. It is just a question and wanted to know more about it.
To boot from USB Stick instead of HD, CD or DVD, you first need a bootable USB stick. This tutorial tells for instance how to use bootable USB media to install Windows 7.

USB boot is used mainly when installing an operating system to a computer without an optical drive (CD/DVD). It is also used to boot computer to a different portable operating system, i.e. Linux.

Personally I use bootable USB media when helping customers with a crashed system. I have my own "Data Rescue" USB stick, where I have all the tools and applications to recover user files from a non-bootable system.

If USB boot option comes only after the HD in your boot settings, nothing happens as long as your HD has a working OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
To boot from USB Stick instead of HD, CD or DVD, you first need a bootable USB stick. This tutorial tells for instance how to use bootable USB media to install Windows 7.

USB boot is used mainly when installing an operating system to a computer without an optical drive (CD/DVD). It is also used to boot computer to a different portable operating system, i.e. Linux.

Personally I use bootable USB media when helping customers with a crashed system. I have my own "Data Rescue" USB stick, where I have all the tools and applications to recover user files from a non-bootable system.

If USB boot option comes only after the HD in your boot settings, nothing happens as long as your HD has a working OS.

Thanks Kari, but I have USB Floppy and USBDiskette/harddrive, my USB floppy is the first in the boot up order then CD/DVD then my hard drive then USB diskette and network ???, so when I but USB diskette before the hard drive it told me that I was missing my OS what is that ??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Jul 2009   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by banderz777 View Post
Thanks Kari, but I have USB Floppy and USBDiskette/harddrive, my USB floppy is the first in the boot up order then CD/DVD then my hard drive then USB diskette and network ???, so when I but USB diskette before the hard drive it told me that I was missing my OS what is that ??
First, I am sorry about my earlier misunderstanding. I thought you were talking about USB flash drive, stick. Now I understand we are talking about floppy disks.

It simply means the system can not find any valid operating system on your USB floppy drive and/or it is not bootable. Remove the diskette from the USB Floppy drive and you should be able to boot normally.

I recommend changing boot order so that the USB Floppy comes last. Or do you really need the possibility to boot from floppy?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2009   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Danke Kari fuer das info.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2009   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by banderz777 View Post
Danke Kari fuer das info.
Kein problem, ich bin nur froh, wenn ich dich helfen könnte.

Your German seems to be better than mine!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2009   #7

 

FWIW: I disable floppy boot (as I have no floppy), password protect my BIOS, and set my computer to boot from the HD first - I can always use the boot menu to pick another device if needed....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 USB Diskette/hard disk




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33