Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Hi-speed USB Port?

12 Aug 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Hi-speed USB Port?

When I plug in my external hard drive I get this Hi-speed USB message:

"This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a HI speed USB 2.0 port."

As I read in another post, I went into Device Manager to update the driver. It said, "... best software already installed".

At first, the external hard drive runs very slowly (photos take a long time to load), but if I simply un-plug it then put it back into the very same USB port, it now works normally.
I've done this numerous times, so it's not just a one-shot thing.
Q. How can I fix this?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Aug 2011   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dick H View Post
When I plug in my external hard drive I get this Hi-speed USB message:

"This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a HI speed USB 2.0 port."

As I read in another post, I went into Device Manager to update the driver. It said, "... best software already installed".

At first, the external hard drive runs very slowly (photos take a long time to load), but if I simply un-plug it then put it back into the very same USB port, it now works normally.
I've done this numerous times, so it's not just a one-shot thing.
Q. How can I fix this?
After 3 days and not even 1 guess?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2011   #3

Windows 7 Professional x64 sp1
 
 

That message is usual for most pc`s if you plug something in front usb ports because they are connected to last controller in the motherboard. Of course that depends from mobo to mobo by their hardware difference. Even if you have only 2 usb ports in the front only one of them should be r.1 which cause that message (and low speeds) if you plug something native r2 in it. If they are 4 in most old mobos 2 are r.1 and 2 - r.2 and for new motherboards that number is 3 r.2 and 1 r.1. But that too can depend from the way of connecting.

With r.1 I allude to the old standard usb 1 which is super slow. With r.2 I allude to usb 2 standard which is normal nowadays. There are new r.3 - usb3 format which is super fast but he will be implemented everywhere from now on.

So. Did you try to use the usb ports that are placed directly on the motherboard? They all should be default usb2.
And if you use one of them did you try the other ones?

Also you skipped to say what type is your external harddrive.
Because 3.5"ones come with ac/dc adapter to manage needs of voltage.
2.5"ones which use only usb port, sometmes have 2 jacks to can suck enough voltage to work. And if your is that type then did you check if your PSU give enough power to empower it for stable work?

=
English is not my native language so I struggle to find and use correct words. So if you can`t understand something ask me without worry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Aug 2011   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Belgarionbg View Post
That message is usual for most pc`s if you plug something in front usb ports because they are connected to last controller in the motherboard. Of course that depends from mobo to mobo by their hardware difference. Even if you have only 2 usb ports in the front only one of them should be r.1 which cause that message (and low speeds) if you plug something native r2 in it. If they are 4 in most old mobos 2 are r.1 and 2 - r.2 and for new motherboards that number is 3 r.2 and 1 r.1. But that too can depend from the way of connecting.

With r.1 I allude to the old standard usb 1 which is super slow. With r.2 I allude to usb 2 standard which is normal nowadays. There are new r.3 - usb3 format which is super fast but he will be implemented everywhere from now on.

So. Did you try to use the usb ports that are placed directly on the motherboard? They all should be default usb2.
And if you use one of them did you try the other ones?

Also you skipped to say what type is your external harddrive.
Because 3.5"ones come with ac/dc adapter to manage needs of voltage.
2.5"ones which use only usb port, sometmes have 2 jacks to can suck enough voltage to work. And if your is that type then did you check if your PSU give enough power to empower it for stable work?

=
English is not my native language so I struggle to find and use correct words. So if you can`t understand something ask me without worry
It's a Windows 7 system, not old.
At first, the external hard drive runs very slowly (photos take a long time to load), but if I simply un-plug it then put it back into the very same USB port, it now works normally.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2011   #5

Windows 7 Professional x64 sp1
 
 

I saw that. But I asked you what type is your external harddrive - 2.5"or 3.5"model?
Also you still don`t even said is your pc desktop based or laptop?
And I understand that usb port works, but did you try the other ones to test if they will cause same thing?

=
Btw win 7 got itself old as we talk, In case that you missed - windows 8 is on his way
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2011   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

I saw that. But I asked you what type is your external harddrive – 2.5"or 3.5"model?
Also you still don`t even said is your pc desktop based or laptop? And I understand that usb port works, but did you try the other ones to test if they will cause same thing?


2.5" external drive.
Desktop.
Both USB ports on the front act the same.
Rear ones are too hard to access, and I plug the drive in when I add photos to it, usually every day.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2011   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64 sp1
 
 

Ok, so that setup points several possible causes.

1. Your motherboard can not manage to give enough voltage/el. currency and empower the device correctly and thus cause that message and act like crazy.

2. Its possible that your USB mass storage driver got corrupted and act strange when you use ports. (uninstalling it then install again for fixing)

3. Sometimes when time passes jacks got their clutch weakened from often using and because of that usb port often can`t understand what is mounted device in first plugging.

I recommend you to buy usb extender and mount it to some of back usb ports. And because of 2.5"hdd the lenght should not excess 1meter. Btw that thing is only 3,4$ in most country's
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2011   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Belgarionbg View Post
Ok, so that setup points several possible causes.

1. Your motherboard can not manage to give enough voltage/el. currency and empower the device correctly and thus cause that message and act like crazy.

2. Its possible that your USB mass storage driver got corrupted and act strange when you use ports. (uninstalling it then install again for fixing)

3. Sometimes when time passes jacks got their clutch weakened from often using and because of that usb port often can`t understand what is mounted device in first plugging.

I recommend you to buy usb extender and mount it to some of back usb ports. And because of 2.5"hdd the lenght should not excess 1meter. Btw that thing is only 3,4$ in most country's
Thanks. I'll try #2 first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2011   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dick H View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Belgarionbg View Post
Ok, so that setup points several possible causes.

1. Your motherboard can not manage to give enough voltage/el. currency and empower the device correctly and thus cause that message and act like crazy.

2. Its possible that your USB mass storage driver got corrupted and act strange when you use ports. (uninstalling it then install again for fixing)

3. Sometimes when time passes jacks got their clutch weakened from often using and because of that usb port often can`t understand what is mounted device in first plugging.

I recommend you to buy usb extender and mount it to some of back usb ports. And because of 2.5"hdd the lenght should not excess 1meter. Btw that thing is only 3,4$ in most country's
Thanks. I'll try #2 first.
That fixed the problem. Thank you very much.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2011   #10

Windows 7 Professional x64 sp1
 
 

I`m glad that it wasn`t #1, because it would give you some troubles till fixing it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Hi-speed USB Port?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33