Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Could it be that AMD and Intel are hiding stuff from us

26 Jul 2009   #1
Codfish

Windows 7 32bit(main) and Windows XP
 
 
Could it be that AMD and Intel are hiding stuff from us

Well most of us know that the preferred combination by AMD and Intel is to have an AMD cpu with an ATI video card and an Intel cpu with an NVidia video card.

Has anyone ever tried having an AMD cpu with an NVidia video card, or an Intel cpu with an ATI video card?

How was the graphics?
Were they.. better?

Could it be that since AMD and ATI have merged together, that they just want the most possible income, making consumers think "Oh. I HAVE to get an ATI card with my AMD processor because AMD bought ATI"?

It's a REALLY REALLY jumbled up thought
If there really is a difference, I might actually switch from having an AMD-ATI computer to having an AMD-Nvidia computer.

Thanks,
Cody.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jul 2009   #2
ikilledkenny

Windows 7 Professional, Windows Longhorn 4074
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Codfish View Post
Well most of us know that the preferred combination by AMD and Intel is to have an AMD cpu with an ATI video card and an Intel cpu with an NVidia video card.

Has anyone ever tried having an AMD cpu with an NVidia video card, or an Intel cpu with an ATI video card?

How was the graphics?
Were they.. better?

Could it be that since AMD and ATI have merged together, that they just want the most possible income, making consumers think "Oh. I HAVE to get an ATI card with my AMD processor because AMD bought ATI"?

It's a REALLY REALLY jumbled up thought
If there really is a difference, I might actually switch from having an AMD-ATI computer to having an AMD-Nvidia computer.

Thanks,
Cody.
ATI cards and Intel CPUs work just as well as AMD CPUs and nVidia cards. It is more preferred to get an AMD processor with an ATI card because they are made by the same brand, and you don't have to go too far to get support for the individual products.

People use nVidia cards with Intel processors because ATI is owned by AMD, and there's a reason why they didn't go with AMD (which I disagree with ).

Hope that helps!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2009   #3
mickey megabyte

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

they are all interchangable and a matter of personal choice.

for instance, i have an intel cpu and ati gpu, and they work perfectly fine together!

any of those companies would be commiting corporate suicide if they alienated the other half of the market!

personally i have no brand loyalty, i just look for the most performance for the cheapest price...the next time i upgrade, who knows, i may go for an amd/nvidia combo, and i'm certain that i'll still get a kick-a$$ system with zero compatability probs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Jul 2009   #4
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
they are all interchangable and a matter of personal choice.

for instance, i have an intel cpu and ati gpu, and they work perfectly fine together!

any of those companies would be commiting corporate suicide if they alienated the other half of the market!

personally i have no brand loyalty, i just look for the most performance for the cheapest price...the next time i upgrade, who knows, i may go for an amd/nvidia combo, and i'm certain that i'll still get a kick-a$$ system with zero compatability probs.
+1

Have a look at peoples specs codfish, there are a lot of mixed combos out there
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2009   #5
Ex_Brit

Win 7 Ult SP1/Win 8.1 Pro w/MC (all x64)
 
 

I used to be a diehard ATI fan as their plant is in the suburbs of this city, until AMD took them over and I found that customer service went downhill. Enough for me to switch to Nvidia. Also found that they got extremely slow at keeping drivers current with new systems, such as Windows 7.

Now I have Asus M/B, Intel CPU and Nvidia graphics.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2009   #6
Konceptz804

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ikilledkenny View Post

People use nVidia cards with Intel processors because ATI is owned by AMD, and there's a reason why they didn't go with AMD (which I disagree with ).

Hope that helps!
Usually its Nvidia that has superior performing products, it has nothing to do with the fact that ATI is owned by AMD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2009   #7
Dwarf

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

I have only got experience of NVidia (NV), so I stick to what I know. However, a factor in deciding which brand to go for is the motherboard (mb) and specifically the chipset. As my mb has an NV chipset (and actually has in-built NV graphics), then I have chosen an NV graphics card.

Another important factor is the availability of drivers and how often they are updated. Again, NV wins hands down here and their site is much easier to navigate.

I do have a limited experience of the ATI site through helping Forum users, but I am not keen on its layout and find that it can be a bit awkward at times to find what you are looking for. In fact, I have just had cause to look there in order to try to help another user, and it hasn't improved at all from the previous time I visited.

It has to be noted that this is my personal opinion - feel free to either agree/disagree with me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #8
drazenn

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Konceptz804 View Post
Usually its Nvidia that has superior performing products....
Is that so?
Ahh,I was blind...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #9
Mercurial

Windows 7 32bit RTM
 
 

Intel pure CPU work.(well maybe some chipset **** ;P)
+
Nvidia pure GPU work...
_______________
= WIN!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #10
mickey megabyte

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
Intel pure CPU work.(well maybe some chipset **** ;P)
+
Nvidia pure GPU work...
_______________
= WIN!
victory can also be achieved by using any combination of competing products.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Could it be that AMD and Intel are hiding stuff from us




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Intel hiding true performance comparison alongside AMD
Yesterday while browsing a popular imageboard's technology forums I came across an interesting link to a youtube video related to AMD FX-8350 Vishera chip, the main topic of the video was a bit surprising, among the lines of a single FX-8350 chip beating the crap out of 3 intel workhorses including...
Hardware & Devices
Hiding a HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate Purchased a 2nd HDD and installed encryption software. This software requires the removal of drive letter within disk management and does its own drive letter assigning every time software is used, so while the HDD/volume can be seen under DM it will have no drive...
Hardware & Devices
Hiding HDD's in explorer?
Greetings, In Windows Explorer I have 2 HDD partitions (one for each HDD) that are listed in the file/folder tree. They are the "System Reserve" partitions that are 100mb each. I'm sure these partitions are required, and can't be deleted... I would like to just remove them from the tree.....
Customization
Hiding Homegroup
Hello all: I have a question regarding the possibility of hiding the Homegroup icons and links from Windows Explorer, or any other place it may show up other than the control panel. I found this link giving instructions on how to disable and hide Homegroup from Win7, but I have a question that...
Network & Sharing
Hiding that you use a VM
Hi guys, For College we use a laptop and we make our tests with a program called QMP (question mark perception). I used to use windows XP, but since I use W7 now, I can't use it anymore because the program only works with Vista and lower. I already knew that QMP can detect VM's, (except...
Virtualization
So this is where you're all hiding!
The Vista forums seemed to have quietened down lately, but now I've found where you've all been hiding. All dumped Vista for 7 already :p Edit: Also like how you've transferred all the system specs over from the Vista forum :)
Chillout Room

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:42.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App