Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What is Intel Rapid Storage Technology? Do I need it?

01 Sep 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 
What is Intel Rapid Storage Technology? Do I need it?

Hi,

I've finished installing drivers for my laptop and I really have no idea about Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Do I need it? Help!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Sep 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit (SP 1)
 
 

Hi

This is mainly used for RAID setup and management but you can use it to manage your SATA HDD's.

Regards
UKMedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2011   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

+1 ^

However, it has been my understanding that the Intel Rapid Storage driver is not necessary in modern operating systems since these OS's are fully capable of using Intel's Matrix RAID chipsets natively.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Sep 2011   #4

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Cyber,
Remember-google is your friend.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I installed it on both of my systems with SSDs to get the iaStor driver rather than using the msahci driver. It gave me quit a boost in performance. I don't know if that matters to spinnider drives, so someone else will have to comment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2011   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UKMedia View Post
Hi

This is mainly used for RAID setup and management but you can use it to manage your SATA HDD's.

Regards
UKMedia
I've got one SATA HDD.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
+1 ^

However, it has been my understanding that the Intel Rapid Storage driver is not necessary in modern operating systems since these OS's are fully capable of using Intel's Matrix RAID chipsets natively.
Thanks.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
Cyber,
Remember-google is your friend.
Yea! Thanks.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
I installed it on both of my systems with SSDs to get the iaStor driver rather than using the msahci driver. It gave me quit a boost in performance. I don't know if that matters to spinnider drives, so someone else will have to comment.
Thanks. Repped you all! I've got only one SATA HDD on my laptop. Shall I uninstall this program?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2011   #7

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

No. Leave well enough alone. Glad to hear that all is well now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2011   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
No. Leave well enough alone. Glad to hear that all is well now.
According to Intel, it provides benefits to users of single drives as well. I don't need to uninstall this driver.
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology — Product overview
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2011   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit (SP 1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CyberCriminal View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
No. Leave well enough alone. Glad to hear that all is well now.
According to Intel, it provides benefits to users of single drives as well. I don't need to uninstall this driver.
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology — Product overview

I agree with the other posts, I have it installed and noticed a performance improvement. I would leave it installed.

Regards
UKMedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 May 2012   #10

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

I'm just a trial and error knucklehead, but for what it's worth, I did some research, found out my RAID wasn't using IRST, disabled it, and CPU usage dropped from 20 percent at idle down to 2 percent. Would have saved me a lot of time if someone else had posted this little piece of information -so I'm doing it now for someone with a similar problem in the future. To them, I say in advance, "you're welcome."
**IMPORTANT: Make sure your RAID isn't using it: It will tell you how to check when you go to remove it under add/remove programs... or here: Under device manager/Storage Controllers: You should NOT see intel controllers ALSO under Device Manger/IDE ATA/ATAPI controls Yous should NOT see intel controllers -if you do NOT, you should be able to remove IRST with no problems, like me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What is Intel Rapid Storage Technology? Do I need it?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: What is Intel Rapid Storage Technology? Do I need it?
Thread Forum
need Intel® Rapid Storage Technology setup for 64 bit Drivers
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Problem Hardware & Devices
Intel Rapid Storage Technology 9.6.3.1001 Drivers
intel rapid storage technology Drivers
intel rapid storage technology not running Drivers
Migrating Using Intel Rapid Storage Technology Hardware & Devices
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33