Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SSD space is disappearing. Troublshooted almost everything already.

04 Sep 2011   #31
SNsCPU

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
As I suspected, it only showed the difference of the hibernation file, not explain the difference in total space. You don't have any backup programs running do you? Any kind of recovery, backup?

A Guy

P.S. Thanks for the screen shots, very helpful to confirm there is some hidden space missing somehow, and increasing in size.
No backup programs running at all. No recovery or backup being done.

When I built this new computer rig two months ago, the only big things I remember installing on this SSD were the following:

-Windows 7
-MS Office
-misc small programs such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, AIM, Avast antivirus etc.
-Adobe Creative Suite (this was eventually uninstalled and moved to my other drive to free up some space since it was disappearing)

Other than this, nothing else was changed, unless Windows 7 by default has some backup program that runs in the background? Again, this system is only two months old, so it hasn't been around the block long enough for there to have been some freak program installed from years back that I may have forgotten. It truly is a clean drive with minimal wear and tear and very few programs installed.

I definitely concur with this statement though!:

Quote:
P.S. Thanks for the screen shots, very helpful to confirm there is some hidden space missing somehow, and increasing in size
This "hidden space" that keeps increasing in size is what has constantly been increasing and eating up my drive capacity since I first noticed this phenomenom about a month ago.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Sep 2011   #32
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Hello Steven and welcome to Seven Forums. My usual disclaimer: I'm not an expert at anything.

Just out of curiosity, how much space do you have set aside for the recycle bin and what happens to your available free space if you set it to 0%? Right click on recycle bin desktop icon > Properties. (If there's anything in the recyle bin that you might want to keep I'd suggest you save it before changing it to 0%.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2011   #33
SNsCPU

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Hello Steven and welcome to Seven Forums. My usual disclaimer: I'm not an expert at anything.

Just out of curiosity, how much space do you have set aside for the recycle bin and what happens to your available free space if you set it to 0%? Right click on recycle bin desktop icon > Properties. (If there's anything in the recyle bin that you might want to keep I'd suggest you save it before changing it to 0%.)
I'm probably too illiterate on these matters to have known if you're an expert or not anyway .

Currently it's set to 5100 MB.

When I set it to 0, no immediately changes appear with any of the disk space.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Sep 2011   #34
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Sorry, I forgot to mention you should reboot after changing the recycle bin's reserved space. (Told you I'm not an expert in anything.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2011   #35
SNsCPU

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention you should reboot after changing the recycle bin's reserved space. (Told you I'm not an expert in anything.)
Done. No affect.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2011   #36
profdlp

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Until I read this...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SNsCPU View Post
...No backup programs running at all. No recovery or backup being done...
...I thought you had a "Safe Mirror" problem going on:

syswow64 Safe Mirror

I'm posting this because it wouldn't hurt to check it anyway. (You may have to enable "View Hidden files and Folders" and "View Protected Operating System Files" in order to see it.)

Safe Mirror is used when you are using a differential backup program to maintain folder syncing. When you delete a file in the backup folder it also gets deleted in the source folder. To protect you in case of a goof it stashes a copy in the path mentioned in the first post of the thread above. I was merrily sorting out stuff in my backup thinking I was deleting things I didn't want any more and it was all piling up in the "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Safe mirror" folder.

Like I said, it wouldn't hurt to look.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2011   #37
SNsCPU

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
Until I read this...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SNsCPU View Post
...No backup programs running at all. No recovery or backup being done...
...I thought you had a "Safe Mirror" problem going on:

syswow64 Safe Mirror

I'm posting this because it wouldn't hurt to check it anyway. (You may have to enable "View Hidden files and Folders" and "View Protected Operating System Files" in order to see it.)

Safe Mirror is used when you are using a differential backup program to maintain folder syncing. When you delete a file in the backup folder it also gets deleted in the source folder. To protect you in case of a goof it stashes a copy in the path mentioned in the first post of the thread above. I was merrily sorting out stuff in my backup thinking I was deleting things I didn't want any more and it was all piling up in the "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Safe mirror" folder.

Like I said, it wouldn't hurt to look.
Went all the way down to AppData\Local... No safe mirror folder exists.

Thanks to everyone who are trying to help! I really appreciate it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2011   #38
profdlp

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Try running Revo Uninstaller Free and see what the various built-in cleaners come up with. While I trust Revo (it's one of the few programs with a robust free version for which I was willing to pay for the "pro" version), be cautious with what it deletes. For right now, safest would be to just do the scans and check the file sizes for the stuff it finds - it may provide a lead on where your space is going.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2011   #39
SNsCPU

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
Try running Revo Uninstaller Free and see what the various built-in cleaners come up with. While I trust Revo (it's one of the few programs with a robust free version for which I was willing to pay for the "pro" version), be cautious with what it deletes. For right now, safest would be to just do the scans and check the file sizes for the stuff it finds - it may provide a lead on where your space is going.
Finished installing it, but having a hard time finding any scanning options. For the various cleaners it has on the left navigation pane, they only provide options for cleaning and deleting the selected item-- nothing for scanning.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2011   #40
profdlp

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

I think they are rolled up into one under the "Junk Files Cleaner" in the free version.


Attached Images
SSD space is disappearing. Troublshooted almost everything already.-revo-junk-files.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SSD space is disappearing. Troublshooted almost everything already.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
C drive space disappearing
I'm constantly losing space on my C drive and the situation seems to be getting even worse recently: every time I use the computer I lose at least 0.5 GB of space on C, which means that getting on my computer twice a day costs me 1 GB of space. I keep deleting files or moving them to D. Usually,...
Performance & Maintenance
C drive space keeps disappearing - Winre.wim to blame
I have a Win 7 professional x 64 installation that has run well for over a year. The last few months it has been gobbling up hard drive space at an alarming rate. I increased the partition size by 100 GB about 2 months ago and now I am down under 30GB. Until today the loss of space was a...
Performance & Maintenance
HDD Space Disappearing
Hello All I don't know what has or is happening I created a system Image using macrium reflect and then I noticed that my system image is showing more free space on my c drive than the computer shows in disc managment most of my data ia stored on external drive and bare minimum on my internal...
General Discussion
Where is all my hard drive space disappearing to?
I have Win 7 Pro 64-bit installed on a 160GB drive. Today I started getting errors that my drive was full, so I started investigating where all the space is taken up and found that my user directory is 71.5GB, but when I go into the directory select all and see properties it only shows about...
Performance & Maintenance
Space disappearing on data partition
I recently clean installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, and created a separate data partition on the same drive as the system partition, as well as a second internal disk devoted solely to data. I've only saved data to the second disk, but over the past 2 weeks, the data partition on the first one has...
Performance & Maintenance
Disappearing Space
@ runtime my C: drive has 65.8 Gb free space; it begins to disappear immediately, running entirely out of space in an hour or so - it returns & repeats the process on reboot. This began to occur about the same time my programs began this "not responding" crap, it is so bad the machine can now...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App