Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SSD space is disappearing. Troublshooted almost everything already.

06 Sep 2011   #61
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SNsCPU View Post

Edit: Out of curiosity, is TRIM something that should already be enabled by default for SSD's or would users always need to enable this manually? I'm just asking because if the former, no way I would have known how to disable it, even if by mistake!
Yes Windows normally enables it, but mistakes happen
I think I notice that you are running tree size in normal mode, could you confirm this and run it as admin? maybe paste a snip of both? and then do the same again tomorrow if this is still not solved.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SNsCPU View Post

A general notation:

If this was a system file, hidden file, or folder related issue, we would see this from all the disk storage readers we've been using. Instead, what these programs are showing is that my files and folders are remaining static in size while my free space is magically disappearing into the abyss.
Yeah I am still not convinced that it is not a reporting error. I have read on the net that others have also experienced this same problem, but have also found no answers


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Sep 2011   #62
SNsCPU

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a solution to the problem, but perhaps it can help you monitor what is going on:

Download, install and try this FREE version of SSDLife. Screenshots on the wepage suggest it can monitor the read/write daily, so perhaps this might help you track down the issue.

Regards,
Golden
I've installed it, however I'm not getting the read/write numbers at the bottom like in their screenshot. It appears it's an option that only comes with the full version. It is reading the drive and shows the health status of being at 100% though.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SNsCPU View Post

Edit: Out of curiosity, is TRIM something that should already be enabled by default for SSD's or would users always need to enable this manually? I'm just asking because if the former, no way I would have known how to disable it, even if by mistake!
Yes Windows normally enables it, but mistakes happen
I think I notice that you are running tree size in normal mode, could you confirm this and run it as admin? maybe paste a snip of both? and then do the same again tomorrow if this is still not solved.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SNsCPU View Post

A general notation:

If this was a system file, hidden file, or folder related issue, we would see this from all the disk storage readers we've been using. Instead, what these programs are showing is that my files and folders are remaining static in size while my free space is magically disappearing into the abyss.
Yeah I am still not convinced that it is not a reporting error. I have read on the net that others have also experienced this same problem, but have also found no answers
I have actually been running Treesize File as administrator each and every time I use it.

I hope there is an answer for this. This is really frustrating and it completely sucks! I'll give this as long as my drive can go until it withers down to dangerous levels and then I'll have no choice but to format. If that doesn't work, definitely chucking/replacing this drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2011   #63
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

I might suggest that you check and make sure your SSD is aligned. Windows will normally create the proper alignment, but as has been stated before, mistakes do happen. SSD alignment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Sep 2011   #64
profdlp

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SNsCPU View Post
I've installed it, however I'm not getting the read/write numbers at the bottom like in their screenshot. It appears it's an option that only comes with the full version. It is reading the drive and shows the health status of being at 100% though...
It takes a few days for that information to appear since the program has to see what usage the drive gets over a longer period of time. I upgraded my SSD over the weekend and it hasn't shown up for me yet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2011   #65
SNsCPU

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
I might suggest that you check and make sure your SSD is aligned. Windows will normally create the proper alignment, but as has been stated before, mistakes do happen. SSD alignment.
I ran the alignment verification steps and all is well on that end. This sounded like it could have been the culprit and got a little excited, but alas, it wasn't .

Appreciate the help!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SNsCPU View Post
I've installed it, however I'm not getting the read/write numbers at the bottom like in their screenshot. It appears it's an option that only comes with the full version. It is reading the drive and shows the health status of being at 100% though...
It takes a few days for that information to appear since the program has to see what usage the drive gets over a longer period of time. I upgraded my SSD over the weekend and it hasn't shown up for me yet.
Ahhh, gotcha, I'll keep an eye on it after a few days.... if my drive is still alive by then.

I reckon there's about a week of life left on this drive before it gets dangerously low.

Pleaseeeeee if there is some guru out there that knows what's goin on I'm all ears .


My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2011   #66
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SNsCPU View Post

I have actually been running Treesize File as administrator each and every time I use it.
Curious left is mine and right is yours I wonder what is causing the difference?

SSD space is disappearing. Troublshooted almost everything already.-capture.jpg SSD space is disappearing. Troublshooted almost everything already.-capture1.jpg

I know you said you have been here but bear with me and go through it.

I have borrowed this from here; Reclaiming disk space from “system volume information” « Thoughts On The Spot

1. To see the space allocated and used for System Volume Information:
- Open Command Prompt with “Run as Administrator” option
- Type in: vssadmin list shadowstorage
- You will see Used Space, Allocated Space and Maximum Space for SVI
2. To see the restore information stored therein:
- Use in the same console command: vssadmin list shadows
3. To resize the maximum allocated space:
- Type in command: vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=[here add the drive letter]: /For=[here add the drive letter]: /Maxsize=[here add the maximum size]
- E.g., vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=4GB
- You will see a prompt confirming resize done
- You can check the status again using the command discussed in point 1 above
4. Just to get rid of the space already consumed, but sticking to the same size of max-size as before:
- Do actions as per point 3 to set the max-size t, say, 1GB
- If you check now, most likely you’ll see that used space is now 0KB
- Do the resize again and set it back to what it was before
- Check your disk space availability in Windows Explorer, you should see the reclaim is done!


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SNsCPU View Post
I hope there is an answer for this. This is really frustrating and it completely sucks! I'll give this as long as my drive can go until it withers down to dangerous levels and then I'll have no choice but to format. If that doesn't work, definitely chucking/replacing this drive.
I believe you that it is frustrating but I am hoping we can sort this before you feel the need to use extreme measures.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2011   #67
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I would appreciate it if you could post snips of your findings from the above post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2011   #68
SNsCPU

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pooch View Post
I would appreciate it if you could post snips of your findings from the above post.
Here we go, I just followed each point step by step, so sorry if I keyed something in wrong.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2011   #69
pooch

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Ok Shadow storage has allocated 448mb space so this is not the problem, if you want to reclaim this you will probably have to set it under 448mb, when you did it you used the example 4GB which is now the maximum size. I recommend setting it back to 610mb.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2011   #70
SNsCPU

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Ok Shadow storage has allocated 448mb space so this is not the problem, if you want to reclaim this you will probably have to set it under 448mb, when you did it you used the example 4GB which is now the maximum size. I recommend setting it back to 610mb.
Got it, thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SSD space is disappearing. Troublshooted almost everything already.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
C drive space disappearing
I'm constantly losing space on my C drive and the situation seems to be getting even worse recently: every time I use the computer I lose at least 0.5 GB of space on C, which means that getting on my computer twice a day costs me 1 GB of space. I keep deleting files or moving them to D. Usually,...
Performance & Maintenance
C drive space keeps disappearing - Winre.wim to blame
I have a Win 7 professional x 64 installation that has run well for over a year. The last few months it has been gobbling up hard drive space at an alarming rate. I increased the partition size by 100 GB about 2 months ago and now I am down under 30GB. Until today the loss of space was a...
Performance & Maintenance
HDD Space Disappearing
Hello All I don't know what has or is happening I created a system Image using macrium reflect and then I noticed that my system image is showing more free space on my c drive than the computer shows in disc managment most of my data ia stored on external drive and bare minimum on my internal...
General Discussion
Where is all my hard drive space disappearing to?
I have Win 7 Pro 64-bit installed on a 160GB drive. Today I started getting errors that my drive was full, so I started investigating where all the space is taken up and found that my user directory is 71.5GB, but when I go into the directory select all and see properties it only shows about...
Performance & Maintenance
Space disappearing on data partition
I recently clean installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, and created a separate data partition on the same drive as the system partition, as well as a second internal disk devoted solely to data. I've only saved data to the second disk, but over the past 2 weeks, the data partition on the first one has...
Performance & Maintenance
Disappearing Space
@ runtime my C: drive has 65.8 Gb free space; it begins to disappear immediately, running entirely out of space in an hour or so - it returns & repeats the process on reboot. This began to occur about the same time my programs began this "not responding" crap, it is so bad the machine can now...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:31.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App