Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Questions regarding GIGABYTE mobo and RAM add.

07 Sep 2011   #11
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

DDR2 is expensive, but the cheapest option is to not spend any money at all, and to look at what else could be causing the slowness. Then save your money for a full upgrade. Your processor is still Socket 775, meaning the board you will now buy isn't going to be able to be reused in another upgrade down the line. You will be spending money now for no yield in performance, all for parts that can't be reused in another upgrade. See what I'm saying?

If it was me, and I was thinking of buying a new board right now...I'd wait until I could get a new processor to go with it, and go right to a P67 or Z68 board. I hate to see people spend money to tread water.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Sep 2011   #12
FredeGail

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate: x64 (SP1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
DDR2 is expensive, but the cheapest option is to not spend any money at all, and to look at what else could be causing the slowness. Then save your money for a full upgrade. Your processor is still Socket 775, meaning the board you will now buy isn't going to be able to be reused in another upgrade down the line. You will be spending money now for no yield in performance, all for parts that can't be reused in another upgrade. See what I'm saying?

If it was me, and I was thinking of buying a new board right now...I'd wait until I could get a new processor to go with it, and go right to a P67 or Z68 board. I hate to see people spend money to tread water.
Correction. Earlier I said that the performance was bad, that was with my Kingston, but the Corsair WITH THE same MHZ, increased the performance and made it smooth. It could be that the RAM uses different Clocks, as they do, increases the performance, but I don't think so in my opinion. All that'll matter, is that I want to be updated now, get a new motherboard that'll support it, and then get the DDR3 as I wanted. Eitherway, DDR3 is DDR3, no need specific sticks.

Agree?

Best Regards,
FredeGail
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2011   #13
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I'm in the disagree category. Using memory of the same Mhz and different clocks won't yield any noticeable difference. The only way to tell is to benchmark them, and your results will be well below the "noticeable" line. That's always been the case. I used to be one of those guys who would spend money to swap out parts looking for the best scores and highest possible framerates, until I realized that I was only losing money and time...with nothing to show for it. Why do you think some graphics cards use DDR3 and some use DDR5? They don't translate into different performance. Far too many people worry about clock timings and latency settings with their memory, only to eventually find out the performance variations aren't even noticeable.

The point I'm trying to make is that you will be buying 2 out of the 3 parts needed for a full upgrade, to end up at the same spot you are in right now. That doesn't make sense, nor does it make you ready for the future, because a Socket 775 board can't handle anything new in terms of processors...so the mobo will need to be replaced as well.

I'm in the camp of not spending any money or upgrading anything unless you gain something in return. If I was sitting in your shoes, I'd sit tight a little longer and upgrade to a new mobo, DDR3 memory, and a Sandy Bridge processor all at once. THEN, you will see a big difference in performance. Even a $100-$150 proc would provide a boost over the Q9550 you have now. I know this from experience because my previous system ran a Q9550. It's a waste of money that could be spent a few weeks down the road on a real, huge upgrade.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Sep 2011   #14
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

As a supporting evidence piece to my post above, this just came across the wire now:

Maximum PC | Intel Reveals 16 New Sandy Bridge Processors

Looks like the current Sandy bridge chips could drop in price very soon, too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2011   #15
FredeGail

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate: x64 (SP1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
As a supporting evidence piece to my post above, this just came across the wire now:

Maximum PC | Intel Reveals 16 New Sandy Bridge Processors

Looks like the current Sandy bridge chips could drop in price very soon, too.
If that is the case, why not buy a i7? Sandy Bridge will beat it?

Best Regards,
FredeGail
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2011   #16
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

An i7, at least the second generation on, are Sandy Bridge chips. Check out my specs. I upgraded to my current system from one running a Q9550. The performance was a HUGE difference, especially in encoding video with Handbrake.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2011   #17
FredeGail

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate: x64 (SP1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
An i7, at least the second generation on, are Sandy Bridge chips. Check out my specs. I upgraded to my current system from one running a Q9550. The performance was a HUGE difference, especially in encoding video with Handbrake.
So let me get this strait.

You want me to get a motherboard, that can run the Sandy Bridge, and the RAM I want to add. Amright?

Because you think, if I should choose a new motherboard, I should get something that can require newer CPU's because it'll increase performance. By that, I can get a perfect makeover?

It's like saying umm.. If I should change these few things, it's worth changing the CPU too.

Right?

Best Regards,
FredeGail
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2011   #18
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I'm not sure I follow. I thought it was a clear explanation, but maybe not. I guess my point is, consider the three integral parts of a computer's overall performance: cpu, motherboard, and memory. It doesn't make any sense to spend money on two of those three (memory and motherboard) to end up with the same performance you have now. When you would be ready to upgrade to another computer, the only component of those three that you would keep is the memory. The motherboard you would buy now for the Q9550 processor will not and cannot run any newer processors. That processor is Socket 775, which is old and outdated. Why spend money to keep the same performance you have now.

If you want to boost performance, spend your money on a new motherboard that will run a new processor, and then add in the processor and DDR3 memory as well. THEN, you will see a very nice boost in overall performance.

If you already owned a car that was completely paid off, and you wanted something better/faster...would you spend money on the same car? Don't spend money unless you are getting an actual upgrade.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2011   #19
FredeGail

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate: x64 (SP1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
I'm not sure I follow. I thought it was a clear explanation, but maybe not. I guess my point is, consider the three integral parts of a computer's overall performance: cpu, motherboard, and memory. It doesn't make any sense to spend money on two of those three (memory and motherboard) to end up with the same performance you have now. When you would be ready to upgrade to another computer, the only component of those three that you would keep is the memory. The motherboard you would buy now for the Q9550 processor will not and cannot run any newer processors. That processor is Socket 775, which is old and outdated. Why spend money to keep the same performance you have now.

If you want to boost performance, spend your money on a new motherboard that will run a new processor, and then add in the processor and DDR3 memory as well. THEN, you will see a very nice boost in overall performance.

If you already owned a car that was completely paid off, and you wanted something better/faster...would you spend money on the same car? Don't spend money unless you are getting an actual upgrade.
Right, I see. Thank you. So any idea for a Motherboard (Gigabyte Preferable), RAM sticks (Corsair Preferable), and a CPU. You can just link as much as you want.

Thanks again,
FredeGail
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2011   #20
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Questions regarding GIGABYTE mobo and RAM add.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
how to make DDR3-1333 DDR3 4 GB work on my Gigabyte G41-M Combo mobo?
I wanted to upgrade my RAM with a 4GB stick running instead of old 2 GB DDR3 stick bought a new ram for my Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo motherboard, when i plug my 4gb ram the pc doesnt boot This 4GB DDR3 RAM Kingston Technology Company - Kingston Memory Search - Search Results for: KVR13N9S8/4 It...
Hardware & Devices
Realtek audio, Gigabyte mobo: strange-sounding audio, mic not working
I have a self-assembled desktop PC - full specs in the signature below, but in short, it has an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T processor on a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P mainboard, which uses a Realtek Azalia ALC887 on-board sound system. I have no loudspeakers and listen to the computer sound exclusively...
Sound & Audio
Changing Mobo & CPU Questions
Hello! I'm changing from an AMD Mobo + 965 chip to a Intel z77 board and i5 CPU I've read around and wanted to just ask a few questions: Is really necessary that i need to re-install windows? I've read some things about having to actually buy another copy of Window 7 is i switch Mobos if i...
Hardware & Devices
Gigabyte Mobo forcing IDE over SATA
Fresh install W7 64 bit Home Premium All chipset driver updates installed GA-P55a-UD3 rev 1.0 F4 BIOS Version Intel Core I7-860 16gb RAM G Skill 16000 ATI 5770 1gb WD 1TB SATA 3.0 HDD Recently reinstalled due to some hardware issues ( Long Story ) and my BIOS sees my HDD as IDE. In...
Hardware & Devices
Updated Gigabyte mobo with 3TB drivers etc but when
the 3TB drive is connected to the eSATA portion SATA portion of the motherboard Acronis 11 Disc Director for Windows 7 64bit and even Windows 7 64 Bit >>>> Manage Drives still show as a 2.00TB drive instead of 2.7-2.8+ drive. What is the problem if the drivers has been updated. Using Windows 7 64...
Hardware & Devices
Problem with Onboard NIC (Gigabyte mobo)
Hi Guys, I'm having a problem with my network card. I have a realtek onboard network card which i have been using for over a year with no problems. Over the weekend i upgraded my psu and gpu now every few hours i lose network connection. What happens is that ill be on the net or playing wow and...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App