Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: I need help shrinking my volume .


08 Sep 2011   #1

windows7 sp1 home premium 64bit
 
 
I need help shrinking my volume .

I just did a factory recovery now i want to partition my HDD into different partitions heres a pic of my HDD


But when i go into Disk management and right click my hdd and shrink volume i get this


Ass you all can see im missing a lot free space how can i fix this ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Sep 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I dont see that any space is missing! Do you mean that a lot of the free space on C: cannot be freed for use in other partitions? i.e. you want to make C: smaller than 700GB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2011   #3

windows7 sp1 home premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sub Styler View Post
I dont see that any space is missing! Do you mean that a lot of the free space on C: cannot be freed for use in other partitions? i.e. you want to make C: smaller than 700GB
Ass you can see here i have well over 1000 GB of free space


But when i go into disk management and right click my c:drive shrink volume i only get 695042MB which is only 678GB ass you can im missing alot of GB


im trying to create a partition of 1000 GB which will be my 4partition and then im going to divide tha one in two .
I done this before with no problem and like i said this is a fresh install from my recovery partition and im also having the same problem with my other machine after doing a google search i found out tha other people had this problem too .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Sep 2011   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Total Size Before Shrink: 1417603mb which is 1384GB so theres nothing missing there!

You want to shrink it to 384GB but windows wont let you due to the placement of "immovable" system files within that partition at around the 705GB mark. So the partition size of C: while in windows cannot be altered more than that.

Afaik the only way to overcome this is to use a 3rd party partition manager that can boot from CD/USB and move the "immovable" system files while the OS is offline.

One such application is EasUS Partition Master Professional which comes with a bootable ISO and retails at about $30.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2011   #5

windows7 sp1 home premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sub Styler View Post
Total Size Before Shrink: 1417603mb which is 1384GB so theres nothing missing there!

You want to shrink it to 384GB but windows wont let you due to the placement of "immovable" system files within that partition at around the 705GB mark. So the partition size of C: while in windows cannot be altered more than that.

Afaik the only way to overcome this is to use a 3rd party partition manager that can boot from CD/USB and move the "immovable" system files while the OS is offline.

One such application is EasUS Partition Master Professional which comes with a bootable ISO and retails at about $30.
Remember tha i said i was having the same problem with another machine well tha other machine haves a 500GB HDD well i hook tha HDD to this one through a usb and i went to disk management and i was able to see all my free space .
Now i did the same with this one which i hook this HDD to tha one and the first thing it told was tha i needed to reformat this HDD if i wanted to used it so i went into disk management and when i click shrink volume it told me tha all my data would be deleted because of my file system? weird ? well the only thing tha i could come up with is tha maybe because this HDD is a lot bigger than the other machine tha i had this one hook up to it gave tha issue ??what do u think because this HDD is working fined im using it right now this is my main machine? Im about to try it with partition wizard>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2011   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

what OS is the other machine using and what is the cluster size of the drive?
If you connect your drive to another windows7 installation it may move the "immovable" os files as they are offline (that OS will be using it's own files). If you are using XP and a small cluster size your drive wont be usable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2011   #7

windows7 sp1 home premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sub Styler View Post
what OS is the other machine using and what is the cluster size of the drive?
If you connect your drive to another windows7 installation it may move the "immovable" os files as they are offline (that OS will be using it's own files). If you are using XP and a small cluster size your drive wont be usable.
The other Machine is windows 7 too .And they are both NTFS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2011   #8

windows7 sp1 home premium 64bit
 
 

But Partition Wizard came to the rescue


very very impressive .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 I need help shrinking my volume .




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: I need help shrinking my volume .
Thread Forum
BSOD 0x00000019 after shrinking system volume (SSD) BSOD Help and Support
Unable to see the unallocated volume after shrinking Installation & Setup
Primary Volume Shrinking Problem Performance & Maintenance
Trouble shrinking volume. Hardware & Devices
Solved Shrinking Volume General Discussion
"Parameter is incorrect" shrinking volume Hardware & Devices
Shrinking C: Volume Problem General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33