Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Suggestions For Using An Extra SSD (or two)

15 Sep 2011   #1

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 
Suggestions For Using An Extra SSD (or two)

I recently upgraded my 80GB Intel X25-M SSD to a 128GB Crucial M4. It's a long story, but I also have come into possession of a second 80GB Intel X25-M. I originally planned on using the old Intel SSDs as boot drives in my two spare computers.

The thing is, my spare computers are not really used for anything which would benefit much from an SSD. One has two printers and a scanner attached and also contains a couple of spare storage drives where I stash my belt-and-suspenders backups. (I have a large drive in my main computer which serves as my primary backup location.) The other computer basically serves as a fancy mp3 player in my living room. Neither gets rebooted except in case of a power failure or when it's required by Windows Update.

It seems a shame to use a couple of nice SSDs in machines which really don't need them. What I would really like to do is put them to good use in my main rig.

I am looking for creative ideas for speeding up my main computer using one or both of the 80GB spares I have. Any suggestions would be welcome.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Sep 2011   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP in VM)
 
 

If you dual boot you can use one of the Intels for the second OS. If you game you can use the Intel for games. The games won't run any faster but you won't be waiting for them to load. Or, you could use one for a data drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2011   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP in VM)
 
 

Another obvious use would be to raid the 2 Intels, which would give you more SSD space as well as much greater speed. The downside is no trim. But you can image them, break the raid, SE them and put them back together and restore the image. It could be done in 30 minutes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Sep 2011   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Tri-Boot
 
 

How about a dual boot for Windows 8 Prof?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2011   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP in VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
How about a dual boot for Windows 8 Prof?
golden, I have an X25-M with Windows 8 already installed on it. I would be happy to trade him mine for a blank one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2011   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Tri-Boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
How about a dual boot for Windows 8 Prof?
golden, I have an X25-M with Windows 8 already installed on it. I would be happy to trade him mine for a blank one.
Get in line.........
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2011   #7

Windows 7 64 bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
I recently upgraded my 80GB Intel X25-M SSD to a 128GB Crucial M4. It's a long story, but I also have come into possession of a second 80GB Intel X25-M. I originally planned on using the old Intel SSDs as boot drives in my two spare computers.

The thing is, my spare computers are not really used for anything which would benefit much from an SSD. One has two printers and a scanner attached and also contains a couple of spare storage drives where I stash my belt-and-suspenders backups. (I have a large drive in my main computer which serves as my primary backup location.) The other computer basically serves as a fancy mp3 player in my living room. Neither gets rebooted except in case of a power failure or when it's required by Windows Update.

It seems a shame to use a couple of nice SSDs in machines which really don't need them. What I would really like to do is put them to good use in my main rig.

I am looking for creative ideas for speeding up my main computer using one or both of the 80GB spares I have. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Raid 0 and use them for browser and other caches. Also put any games you have there and the bulk of your pagefile.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Sep 2011   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Use 1 drive for your OS, 1 drive for apps/games, and 1 drive for temp files, caches, page file, etc. In practical use, this should outperform a RAID0. Sure the RAID0 will out benchmark it, but the downfalls of having to deal with it far outweigh it in my opinion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Sep 2011   #9

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
If you dual boot you can use one of the Intels for the second OS. If you game you can use the Intel for games. The games won't run any faster but you won't be waiting for them to load. Or, you could use one for a data drive.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
How about a dual boot for Windows 8 Prof?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Raid 0 and use them for browser and other caches. Also put any games you have there and the bulk of your pagefile.
Actually, the reason I ended up with two of the Intel SSDs is that I bought one off my housemate when she upgraded with the intention of doing the RAID 0 deal. I had trouble using Macrium to image my drive over to the new array and since school had just started I didn't want to go for a clean install right now.

Maybe down the road, though.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Use 1 drive for your OS, 1 drive for apps/games, and 1 drive for temp files, caches, page file, etc. In practical use, this should outperform a RAID0. Sure the RAID0 will out benchmark it, but the downfalls of having to deal with it far outweigh it in my opinion.
Yeah, for me RAID is one of those things that looks good in theory but always ends up being a pain in the long run. I still remember the day back in 2001 when I woke up to a "No OS Found..." message and spent several evenings trying to recover it to no avail.

I ended up installing one of the drives and have followed your suggestion regarding "temp files, caches, page file, etc". I also made a folder on the second SSD named Program Files 2 where I intend to install some of the "nice to have around" stuff I didn't want cluttering up my main drive.

Thanks to all for their advice!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Suggestions For Using An Extra SSD (or two)





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Suggestions For Using An Extra SSD (or two)
Thread Forum
Extra Updates Windows Updates & Activation
Extra TV Music, Pictures & Video
Extra Internal HD.... can I.... Hardware & Devices
Extra Drive Hardware & Devices
How to add extra toolbar Customization
What are all these extra directories General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33