Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T capability - benefits / risks ??

28 Sep 2011   #21
Corazon

Windows 7 Professional SP1 32-bit
 
 

The newest version of Defraggler from Piriform displays SMART data too


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Sep 2011   #22
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

I think temperature trends (increasing over time =bad) and reallocated sector count (increasing over time = bad)
CrystalDiskInfo is a good tool to monitor your HDD health.

Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T capability - benefits / risks ??-wd-di-23_9_11ex.jpg

Here set your threshold of warning to some value slightly above where your current "healthy" disk sits.
Although it's trends over time you are looking for the absolute value shown in this example is really quite high. The RAW value are the actual values in hex.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2011   #23
Schroff87

7 ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I think temperature trends (increasing over time =bad) and reallocated sector count (increasing over time = bad)
CrystalDiskInfo is a good tool to monitor your HDD health.

Attachment 177210

Here set your threshold of warning to some value slightly above where your current "healthy" disk sits.
Although it's trends over time you are looking for the absolute value shown in this example is really quite high. The RAW value are the actual values in hex.
Does crystaldisk info portable edition have ads?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Sep 2011   #24
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Schroff87 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I think temperature trends (increasing over time =bad) and reallocated sector count (increasing over time = bad)
CrystalDiskInfo is a good tool to monitor your HDD health.

Attachment 177210

Here set your threshold of warning to some value slightly above where your current "healthy" disk sits.
Although it's trends over time you are looking for the absolute value shown in this example is really quite high. The RAW value are the actual values in hex.
Does crystaldisk info portable edition have ads?
Try it and see.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2011   #25
Schroff87

7 ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Schroff87 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I think temperature trends (increasing over time =bad) and reallocated sector count (increasing over time = bad)
CrystalDiskInfo is a good tool to monitor your HDD health.

Attachment 177210

Here set your threshold of warning to some value slightly above where your current "healthy" disk sits.
Although it's trends over time you are looking for the absolute value shown in this example is really quite high. The RAW value are the actual values in hex.
Does crystaldisk info portable edition have ads?
Try it and see.
Don't want to install anything that can have adware. The installer version has opencandy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2011   #26
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Schroff87 View Post
Don't want to install anything that can have adware. The installer version has opencandy.
My understanding of opencandy is that it provides "offers" during the installation phase only. You don't have to accept the offers but it brings in a bit of revenue for the people who developed the free software that you want to use.
If you have a problem with this then a simple solution is not to use any free software.

I'd be interested in hearing if opencandy is any more sinister than this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2011   #27
Schroff87

7 ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Schroff87 View Post
Don't want to install anything that can have adware. The installer version has opencandy.
My understanding of opencandy is that it provides "offers" during the installation phase only. You don't have to accept the offers but it brings in a bit of revenue for the people who developed the free software that you want to use.
If you have a problem with this then a simple solution is not to use any free software.

I'd be interested in hearing if opencandy is any more sinister than this.
Encyclopedia entry: Adware:Win32/OpenCandy - Learn more about malware - Microsoft Malware Protection Center

Suit yourself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2011   #28
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

You may be interested in this thread
OpenCandy

Has anything changed?
I don't use MSE - is it currently alerting to opencandy and what do others think about all of this?

Edit: I believe there is an install switch to block it if you are that worried.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2011   #29
Schroff87

7 ultimate x64
 
 

Found out about opencandy after the driversweeper being banned from guru3d mess. Would prefer to stay away. Thanks for trying to provide additional info though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2011   #30
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

It's understandable to be cautious. I'll probably try to look into it a bit deeper myself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T capability - benefits / risks ??




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Confused about installing Windows on my hard disk,hard disk problem
Hi guys, I will try to explain this as simple as i can.So let's start I have laptop ASUS N75SF and it is a year old,so i have decided to format.I have two separate hard disks that are the same brand,SeaGate 9500423 AS, each 500 gb capacity. Before i decided to format , one of my hard...
Installation & Setup
Host disk is running out of room, can't shrink virtual hard disk?
Hi Everyone, I have a challenge with resizing a virtual disk - here are a few details before I plunge into the challenge at hand; 1). The HOST O/S is Windows 7 x64 2). The GUEST O/S is Windows XP 3). The Desktop Virtualization software is VMware Workstation 8 Background - originally when...
Virtualization
Hard disk Error - The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable.
I have IOmega 1 TB hard drive. 2 days ago, my comp restarted suddenly after which my external drive is corrupted. I get the error 'H: is not accessble' The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. It shows up in the disk management as RAW file system, I have almost 700 GB of important...
Hardware & Devices
hard disk boot failure insert system disk press enter
hi sir,im vijay.. im usin 2tb segate new hard disk sir..in my system i cant able to boot my os and also my hard disk ...its showin that hard disk boot failure insert system disk press enter ...i restarted many times its sayin the same problem...in my gigabite mobo bios my hard disk is not get...
General Discussion
USB external hard disk shows up as internal fixed disk
Couple of hours ago my Windows 7 could not recognize my external USB hard disk (Maxtor Basic). It came up on Disk Management and Device Manager but not on My Computer. However I fixed it (by deleting its line off regedit in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, plugging out the ext. HD and...
Hardware & Devices
Hard Disk space seen as occupied... But disk is empty inside
Hi 1. I have Win7 64-bit installed. 2. Earlier I installed MySQL and created database (size: 2 GB) in my D: drive (size: 52.8 GB). 3. Then I formatted my C: drive and installed Win7 again. As a result, MySQL got uninstalled and something happened to the database in D: drive. 4. After...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App