Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: PC Freezing after connecting Hard Drive

05 Oct 2011   #1

windows 7 Pro x64
 
 
PC Freezing after connecting Hard Drive

I'm having a problem with a dying hard drive freezing my pc after having it installed.

I'm trying to transfer the files on it to an old hard drive but can't. I initially was able to transfer for about 20 minutes when the whole pc froze. Things seem to work normally after a reboot though and the dying hard drive unplugged.

Anyone have any ideas, I really need the data on that hd but its 1.45 tb I need to transfer.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Oct 2011   #2

Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by polorsport View Post
I'm having a problem with a dying hard drive freezing my pc after having it installed.

I'm trying to transfer the files on it to an old hard drive but can't. I initially was able to transfer for about 20 minutes when the whole pc froze. Things seem to work normally after a reboot though and the dying hard drive unplugged.

Anyone have any ideas, I really need the data on that hd but its 1.45 tb I need to transfer.
Have you tried connecting the drive and then booting off the hiren boot cd and copying the files that way?

Info Link: Hiren's BootCD 14.1 - All in one Bootable CD www.hiren.info
Download link: Download Hiren

This has worked for me many times for PCs that just wont boot with a faulty drive. I found the DOS filemanager tools the easiest for me to use; simple and straight to the task.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2011   #3

windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

The drive that is giving me problems, that I'm trying to transfer files from is not my boot drive. I don't know if that will help me. The difficulties I'm having booting are when this bad drive is connected. If I disconnect it, I can use my pc normally.

I currently have it connected to a wd elements external enclosure running Western Digital Data life Diagnostic extended test. Although, it did fail the fast test so I don't know if there is any point to it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Oct 2011   #4

Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by polorsport View Post
The drive that is giving me problems, that I'm trying to transfer files from is not my boot drive. I don't know if that will help me. The difficulties I'm having booting are when this bad drive is connected. If I disconnect it, I can use my pc normally.

I currently have it connected to a wd elements external enclosure running Western Digital Data life Diagnostic extended test. Although, it did fail the fast test so I don't know if there is any point to it.
I understand that. it only takes one bad drive to stop a system booting. That's why I suggested booting of the hiren boot CD as it isn't as fussy about drive status. If you can't get the data of the drive using Hiren's, or other similar tools, then you'll potentially need to look at professional data recovery.

Of course, nothing replaces regular backups.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2011   #5

windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

I just burned it as a dvd. What program would you suggest using to get my data back. If possible I would very much like to transfer everything to another driver.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2011   #6

Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by polorsport View Post
I just burned it as a dvd. What program would you suggest using to get my data back. If possible I would very much like to transfer everything to another driver.
Hi Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Been away from my PC for a couple of days.

The tool I most often use is DiskGenius.

But Hirens has many tools. Quite often, these tools can repair the drive and get it working again. For example, if the partition table or MBR has become corrupted.

The tool that you feel comfortable with, that is easiest for you to understand might be the one that best suits your needs.

Again, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Tanya
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 PC Freezing after connecting Hard Drive





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33