Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: HP Deskjet 960c will NOT install :(

21 Oct 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
HP Deskjet 960c will NOT install :(

Hey guys,

I've actually run into this problem before, I got it to work 3 months ago, then I reloaded my computer and the problem showed up again and I forgot the solution. Yikes! Can anyone help?

I'm running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. I have an HP Deskjet 960c connected (via USB).

The device shows up in the "Devices and Printers" windows, but....

Code:
Driver Software Installation:
"Device driver software was not successfully installed"
HEWLETT-PACKARDDESKJET 960C   ---- X No driver found
There was something super simple I did last time, but I don't remember. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? I need to print.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Oct 2011   #2

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE SP1 64-BIT
 
 

heres the link to download it

Software & Driver Downloads HP Deskjet 960c Printer - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

when you download it, install the driver manually using device manager.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chris7021 View Post
heres the link to download it

Software & Driver Downloads HP Deskjet 960c Printer - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

when you download it, install the driver manually using device manager.
Perfect! Thanks very much.

I have a followup question, which I should have tested before installing the driver, but do you know if this method works for an offline computer running W7x64? Or is it actually downloading the driver in the background so that an offline rig is S.O.L. ?
Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Oct 2011   #4

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by toasty View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chris7021 View Post
heres the link to download it

Software & Driver Downloads HP Deskjet 960c Printer - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

when you download it, install the driver manually using device manager.
Perfect! Thanks very much.

I have a followup question, which I should have tested before installing the driver, but do you know if this method works for an offline computer running W7x64? Or is it actually downloading the driver in the background so that an offline rig is S.O.L. ?
Thanks!
you can save the file too. that way you can put it on a thumbdrive or cd or even a floppy if you have one and install it on the other computer as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by serpentracer View Post

you can save the file too. that way you can put it on a thumbdrive or cd or even a floppy if you have one and install it on the other computer as well.
Heh, how would I go about that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2011   #6

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by toasty View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by serpentracer View Post

you can save the file too. that way you can put it on a thumbdrive or cd or even a floppy if you have one and install it on the other computer as well.
Heh, how would I go about that?
when you click on the download button on HP's website internet explorer, firefox or chrome etc, should pop up a window asking you if you want to open or save the file.
if you save the file you can specify where you want to save it.
most people have a "downloads" folder and put everything in there. some people prefer to save it to "desktop" so they can find it very easy.
you can basically save it anywhere you want to.

so once it's done downloading it will ask if you want to run it. click no or cancel. then decide which media you want to put it on (cd, dvd, thumbdrive etc)
if you do cd or dvd you'll have to open up a seperate program for burning them and find the file you downloaded and let the program burn the files to a disk.

a thumbdrive is much easier and faster. basically put it in a usb slot copy and paste the file into the thumbdrive and viola..

now take the cd, dvd or thumbdrive to the other computer, open it up to view the files and open the file, here is where things get a little harder because you need to find the .EXE install.
look for any file that ends with .exe HP more than likely labeled it install.exe
or start.exe something along those lines. this "executable" will start the install process.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by serpentracer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by toasty View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by serpentracer View Post

you can save the file too. that way you can put it on a thumbdrive or cd or even a floppy if you have one and install it on the other computer as well.
Heh, how would I go about that?
when you click on the download button on HP's website internet explorer, firefox or chrome etc, should pop up a window asking you if you want to open or save the file.
if you save the file you can specify where you want to save it.
most people have a "downloads" folder and put everything in there. some people prefer to save it to "desktop" so they can find it very easy.
you can basically save it anywhere you want to.

so once it's done downloading it will ask if you want to run it. click no or cancel. then decide which media you want to put it on (cd, dvd, thumbdrive etc)
if you do cd or dvd you'll have to open up a seperate program for burning them and find the file you downloaded and let the program burn the files to a disk.

a thumbdrive is much easier and faster. basically put it in a usb slot copy and paste the file into the thumbdrive and viola..

now take the cd, dvd or thumbdrive to the other computer, open it up to view the files and open the file, here is where things get a little harder because you need to find the .EXE install.
look for any file that ends with .exe HP more than likely labeled it install.exe
or start.exe something along those lines. this "executable" will start the install process.
Ah, see that's just the thing in that there isn't any driver to download for W7x64, there's basically just a bunch of hoops I had to jump through so that my OS looked at itself in a mirror and realized it already had the driver. But *did* it have the driver, or did Windows 7 just reach out to a download server for MS and stealthily download the driver for me? That's what I was wondering because I have a 100% offline W7x64 rig as well and I'd like to be able to hook the printer up to it and have it print if need be. Also I hate relying on an internet connection to install software/drivers; it feels so... dependent.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2011   #8

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

If you don't want to use the internet for drivers then you have two choices left. Let Windows 7 pick it up the drivers on reboot, (Windows 7 comes with many drivers when you installed the operating system). Or you can use the CD that came with your printer. Pick one and go for it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2011   #9

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by toasty View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by serpentracer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by toasty View Post
Heh, how would I go about that?
when you click on the download button on HP's website internet explorer, firefox or chrome etc, should pop up a window asking you if you want to open or save the file.
if you save the file you can specify where you want to save it.
most people have a "downloads" folder and put everything in there. some people prefer to save it to "desktop" so they can find it very easy.
you can basically save it anywhere you want to.

so once it's done downloading it will ask if you want to run it. click no or cancel. then decide which media you want to put it on (cd, dvd, thumbdrive etc)
if you do cd or dvd you'll have to open up a seperate program for burning them and find the file you downloaded and let the program burn the files to a disk.

a thumbdrive is much easier and faster. basically put it in a usb slot copy and paste the file into the thumbdrive and viola..

now take the cd, dvd or thumbdrive to the other computer, open it up to view the files and open the file, here is where things get a little harder because you need to find the .EXE install.
look for any file that ends with .exe HP more than likely labeled it install.exe
or start.exe something along those lines. this "executable" will start the install process.
Ah, see that's just the thing in that there isn't any driver to download for W7x64, there's basically just a bunch of hoops I had to jump through so that my OS looked at itself in a mirror and realized it already had the driver. But *did* it have the driver, or did Windows 7 just reach out to a download server for MS and stealthily download the driver for me? That's what I was wondering because I have a 100% offline W7x64 rig as well and I'd like to be able to hook the printer up to it and have it print if need be. Also I hate relying on an internet connection to install software/drivers; it feels so... dependent.
ahh I see. it says to use windows update to get it. that's lame. it must be a basic driver without any special utilites.

or did you at least try this? HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows 7 HP Deskjet 960c Printer - HP Customer Care (United States - English)=
My System SpecsSystem Spec
3 Weeks Ago   #10

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

I know this thread is very old now, but I came across the same problem when trying to install my old HP Deskjet 960c on my new laptop. The printer installed instantly on my other Windows 7 laptops, but not this one for some reason.

I went round and round in circles installing the HP Printer Install Wizard, and the HP Print & Scan Doctor app, but they would all report that the driver could not be found and I should download it from the HP website. HP don't offer the driver for download.

On plugging in the printer, Windows would go off to Windows Update to search for the driver, but once again would report it could not be found.

I solved the problem today simply by following these steps.

1. Open the Devices and Printers window
2. Click Add a Printer
3. Add a Local Printer
4. Use an Existing Port, USB001(Virtual Printer Port for USB)
5. Click Windows Update (wait for 5 minutes while the new list of printers downloads)
6. Select HP as the Manufacturer and hp deskjet 960c as the model.

Why the automatic process fails but selecting the printer manually works, I have no idea. But I hope this helps anyone else out there experiencing the same problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 HP Deskjet 960c will NOT install :(




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: HP Deskjet 960c will NOT install :(
Thread Forum
Can't install driver for Deskjet F4280 Drivers
HP DeskJet 960C Network Printer Hardware & Devices
HP deskjet 990CSE Hardware & Devices
HP deskjet 670c Drivers
hp deskjet 3847 Drivers
Deskjet D2660 Hardware & Devices
Hp 3940 Deskjet Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33