Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 does not play DVD's but only CD's

28 Nov 2011   #11
Portuga

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I also tried to use this tool from Microsoft Fix it Solution Center: troubleshooting software issues and I had this result : 2d2f4.png at Free Image Hosting


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Nov 2011   #12
Portuga

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

and at the end, the tool brought me to Microsoft Fix it Online
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2011   #13
Portuga

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

This is what my device manager shows me f358b.jpg at Free Image Hosting
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Nov 2011   #14
DustSailor

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Portuga,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Portuga View Post
Note: if I am not wrong, this problem started when I updated CCLEANER and run it.
Unless you know exactly what ccleaner is and are familiar with the registry, I recommend never using such software. It may have, in fact, deleted key parts of the registry that you needed. Follow this list as needed
  1. I recommend uninstalling ccleaner and not using it anymore. There are very little actual benefits and it can cause major problems as it may edit the registry, something you should never do without registry knowledge.
  2. Follow this link to run an SFC command to fix any problems
  3. You might try clicking this method of system restore. If you have a restore point prior to the problems, restore your computer to that point. If not...
  4. Try a startup repair, and do it 3 times as recommended
  5. Try a repair install, but make sure you read the warning in the red box and make sure you are able to do one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2011   #15
DustSailor

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Portuga View Post
This is what my device manager shows me f358b.jpg at Free Image Hosting
Portuga,

It may be best to hold off on posting information until you have gathered it all together so that it can be posted once instead of a steady stream of posts that serve only to increase thread page count. It also allows your posts to be more concise and take up less room.

Also, to upload pictures on sevenforums, I recommend using the snipping tool for Vista or Windows 7, and uploading them. This link will show you how to upload them via the prefered method.

After you've followed my tutorials, post back and let me know how its gone

Also, I am a bit confused about what you are telling me in these posts:
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Portuga View Post
Before following the procedure above, I fixed the CD reading from another webpage
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Portuga View Post
The device manager says, "This device is working properly." I also uninstalled and then reinstalled the drivers, and it still won't work.
Did that method fix it nor not? My solutions deal with software fixes, that solution on that website deals with hardware. Perhaps the hardware is failing, and if so, a good way to test it would be to hook up another cd player and see if it works. If windows says it is working properly, I can only assume that it is and continue offering software related advice, rather than hardware. Let me know if I should change it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2011   #16
Portuga

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I might be wrong about the Ccleaner, I believe it started the day I updated the Burnaware Free, from that moment on, the program brought a message showing an issue with the driver. I uninstaled it but no results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #17
DustSailor

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Portuga View Post
I might be wrong about the Ccleaner, I believe it started the day I updated the Burnaware Free, from that moment on, the program brought a message showing an issue with the driver. I uninstaled it but no results.
Portuga,

Well, post results after you've followed all the advice I've given you to date, then we can go from there
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2011   #18
billman87

Windows 7
 
 

I believe i have seen this before, It is a know bug in windows that has existed since windows 2000.
My belief is that this is registry corruption of sorts, not saying your regisrty is courpted or has missing entries they are simply incorrect. This KB demonstrates how to fix it.

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs



My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2012   #19
Portuga

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DustSailor View Post
Portuga,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Portuga View Post
Note: if I am not wrong, this problem started when I updated CCLEANER and run it.
Unless you know exactly what ccleaner is and are familiar with the registry, I recommend never using such software. It may have, in fact, deleted key parts of the registry that you needed. Follow this list as needed
  1. I recommend uninstalling ccleaner and not using it anymore. There are very little actual benefits and it can cause major problems as it may edit the registry, something you should never do without registry knowledge.
  2. Follow this link to run an SFC command to fix any problems
  3. You might try clicking this method of system restore. If you have a restore point prior to the problems, restore your computer to that point. If not...
  4. Try a startup repair, and do it 3 times as recommended
  5. Try a repair install, but make sure you read the warning in the red box and make sure you are able to do one.

Following the step number 2 I had the following result:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
C:\Windows\system32>

I ran the command 5 times.

Following the step number 3 I couldn't restore the system earlier than a certain point.

Following the step number 4 did not result.

Following the step number 5 is not possible since I have to download a program that is 3GB size and I have to burn on a DVD. Since my PC does not read DVD I have to discard this option. My Pc does not boot from USB either.

Thank you for your help. I am almost considering the possibility to make a clean install, but I really did not want to because I had several modifications to improve the performance of the computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2012   #20
DustSailor

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by billman87 View Post
I believe i have seen this before, It is a know bug in windows that has existed since windows 2000.
My belief is that this is registry corruption of sorts, not saying your regisrty is courpted or has missing entries they are simply incorrect. This KB demonstrates how to fix it.

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs
You might consider this advice from microsoft. Have you yet? The link provides this tool: Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can
Install it and let it run to find any issues if it can. Worth a shot.

Have you tried another CD/DVD drive to see if it is a hardware problem on the drive's end?

Exactly what is wrong now? Does it have the same problems as it did to begin with (ie DVDs don't work, but CDs do)?

Once more, reading on the HP USA site here: Software & Driver Downloads HP Pavilion zv6270us Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English), Drivers for your particular computer (that you have listed in your system specs) work best for windows xp or 2000 only. You might put these drivers into compatability mode for XP as in this tutorial (but instead of Vista, select XP SP3: Drivers - Install Vista Drivers on Windows 7 - if that doesn't work well, try compatability mode for windows 2000.

Update your BIOS as listed in the driver section of the HP website (if you live in brazil, give that website a go), as well as installing the DVD/CDRW Drive Firmware. Make sure you do all of this, do not skip steps! May also need to put these in compatability mode. Sometimes you don't, sometimes you do.

Shoot, update all of it! Update windows using windows update too!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 does not play DVD's but only CD's




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Laptop lag when I play videos , use office ,play games
Hello I have laptop HP PROBOOK 4530S since 2011 and worked very well but in november 2013 my laptop start lagging , in the first the lag is limited on videos , but after I suffer the lag in games ( also old games ) , microsoft office , when I use the browsers etc.. , there is my specifications ...
Music, Pictures & Video
Unable to play MKV/FLV in Windows Media Center Windows 7 [64 Bit]
I use windows media center. I've just switched over to 64 bit windows and now MC is unable to play some formats: MKV, FLV and some more while it was playing everything in 32 bit. I'm confused. I've tried installing klite & Combined-Community-Codec-Pack but nothing is helping. What am i missing?...
Media Center
How to play blu-ray; Windows 7 64-bit
Can't get my Pioneer BDR-206D to play any Blu-ray. There's not much on this & this thread is; http://www.sevenforums.com/software/31198-blu-ray-decoder-64-bit-windows-7-a-3.html ...1.5 yr old. I think I did everything correctly but nothing plays. I've downloaded & installed Sharks codecs...
Music, Pictures & Video
Play .au files in windows
Is there a codec I can use to enable me to play such a file or can I use some program to convert it to a usable format?
Music, Pictures & Video
Combat Arms wont play on 7077, did play on 7068
It's running just fine on my 7068 box, but when I try to run the program on 7077, I get this message ImageShack - Image Hosting :: capturedvi.jpg I've run it with "recommended settings", tried running it in XP mode, as admin, with visual effects disabled..ect. Anyone have a suggestion?
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App