Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need to upgrade processor and MOBO - do I really need hyper threading?


29 Oct 2011   #1

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 
Need to upgrade processor and MOBO - do I really need hyper threading?

I'm currently running this processor and MOBO:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor BX80562Q6600

Newegg.com - ASUS P5K EPU LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

It's just not fast enough for me.

I was leaning towards the i7 because it seems to be the fastest processor for around $300.

But apparently these new intel chips have sandy bridge which is a form of hyper threading.

I'm just trying to figure out if I truly need the processor with hyper threading. I understand it basically turns the 4 cores into 8 virtual cores, but does it apply this speed to all computer programs and functions?

I run 3 monitors and constantly doing multiple things including web design, graphic design etc.

I also plan on maxing my ram at the 32gb the MOBO will allow to help this system run as fast as possible.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Oct 2011   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
I understand it basically turns the 4 cores into 8 virtual cores, but does it apply this speed to all computer programs and functions?
Take a look at the performance section here:

Hyper-threading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It helps under certain circumstances, but is not a substitute for additional cores. How much it would help in any situation varies, depending on the software involved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
But apparently these new intel chips have sandy bridge which is a form of hyper threading.
Sandy Bridge is the codename for the 2nd generation of Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processors. It has nothing to do with hyperthreading. Some of the Sandy Bridge processors have hyperthreading (i7-2600k), while others do not (i5-2500k).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Oct 2011   #4

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

Hmm, it seems that HT is one of those sake oil technologies that may or may not improve your computers speed

So I guess do you take plunge and spend the extra money in hopes of it benefiting you?

I was looking on newegg and they have the i7 2600 for $299 & the i7 2600k for $319

They seem to be identical in specs, does anyone know what the 2600k brings to the table over the 2600?

I figure I will go with the i7 since it's the faster of the cores at a reasonable price.

Is there another i7 around the same price range that is considerably faster than the 2600 series?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2011   #5

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

Just out of curiosity is this one a lot better?

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7970

The MHz is slower but it has 6 cores

Will the speed of this one blow the i7 2600k series out of the water? (it better for the price difference!)

They have just a recertified chip for cheaper here, but is going with a rectified chip a risky situation?

Newegg.com - Recertified: Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor I7 970 (SLBVF)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2011   #6

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

You can always switch off HT feature if you do not want it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2011   #7

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

Yeah but I'd rather not spend the extra money if I'm just going to shut it off.

I'd like to hear some input on that 6 core I linked to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2011   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
I'm currently running this processor and MOBO:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor BX80562Q6600

Newegg.com - ASUS P5K EPU LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

It's just not fast enough for me.

I was leaning towards the i7 because it seems to be the fastest processor for around $300.

But apparently these new intel chips have sandy bridge which is a form of hyper threading.

I'm just trying to figure out if I truly need the processor with hyper threading. I understand it basically turns the 4 cores into 8 virtual cores, but does it apply this speed to all computer programs and functions?

I run 3 monitors and constantly doing multiple things including web design, graphic design etc.

I also plan on maxing my ram at the 32gb the MOBO will allow to help this system run as fast as possible.
For the applications you're running a hyper-threaded processor is what you want. When needed the CPU offloads the other tasks to the other cores. I'd suggest the i7-2600. The "k" processors are basically for people that want to overclock their processors, way past the factory clock.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2011   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I'm not sure what you are reading that makes you think HT is a bad thing, but it isn't. It isn't the same as adding an extra physical core, but for applications that can benefit from it, it does help. I have an i7-2600 that I am running now after upgrading from a Q9550 and I see a huge difference in my encoding tasks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2011   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
Just out of curiosity is this one a lot better?

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7970

The MHz is slower but it has 6 cores

Will the speed of this one blow the i7 2600k series out of the water? (it better for the price difference!)
No.

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

The 970 would be preferable only for certain specific tasks that can take advantage of the additional cores. The typical user does not regularly perform those tasks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need to upgrade processor and MOBO - do I really need hyper threading?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Need to upgrade processor and MOBO - do I really need hyper threading?
Thread Forum
Solved biostar mobo TZ68A+ compatability with CPU coolermaster hyper 212 Hardware & Devices
Change Mobo and Processor without format ? Hardware & Devices
windows 7 without hyper-threading ??? Performance & Maintenance
intel i7 Hyper Threading Hardware & Devices
Failing Processor or DOA Mobo Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 to include Hyper-Threading enhancements News
Mobo upgrade Q6600 Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33