Hello scoco I stumbled upon this thread because I also have these problems with an PCI Firewire Card under Windows 7 x64 and my external firewire soundcard. I tried 2 VIA chipset cards which are recognized and a build-in driver
from Windows 7 is installed. So far so good.
Unfortunately my soundcard is not recognized and it's controlpanel states 'no device found ... looking for devices'.
I found a way to get all Windows 7 related drivers
reset/reinstalled by using the Intel Chipset Identification Utility which can be downloaded on the Intel website
- Open a command prompt. Go to the directory where you unpacked the utility. Type: 'setup.exe -overall' whithout the quotes.
- The utility will start to replace all the motherboard drivers and suddenly my external card is recognized!
- So far so good. But I already noticed that the connection is buggy. Restart is required after installation.
- Unfortunately after restart my soundcard blue led starts flashing which means there are communication errors.
- After logged on to Windows the blue led turns off which means there is no connection between my system and my soundcard.
So at the end this seems more like a driver/communication problem. The chipsets on the 2 PCI cards I tried are VIA VT6306 and VT6307. The VT6306 was tested and recommended by my soundcard manufacturer.
I also read on the Microsoft website that Microsoft rewrote the firewire driver stack in Windows 7 so this could render older cards useless if no proper drivers are made by it's manufacturer. I also tried the legacy driver in Windows 7 but no luck and the same problem. I also tried the Unibrain drivers as the original poster did but no luck either.
I haven't tried other chipset brands like Texas Instruments but I'm afraid it has something to do with the PCI slot/Bridge. The next thing I will try is to get a PCI-E card with a Texas Instrument chipset to see if this will solve the problem.
The very last option is to get a motherboard with firewire onboard. Unfortunately I just stepped up to an Z77 board with I7-3770K which didn't have a firewire connection and that's why I bought a PCI card. This is where my problems started and I haven't been able to produce any song since a week.