Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: My dell inspiron 1520 does not recognize external dvd rom while boot


04 Nov 2011   #1
mj2000

Windows 7 Starter SP1 32bit
 
 
My dell inspiron 1520 does not recognize external dvd rom while boot

Hi all
I run win 7 sp1 on dell inspiron 1520
Its dvd-writer was damaged, so i bought an external Transcend dvd-writer and its working properly but when i insert a bootable cd in it and want to boot the
windows from it, the windows does not recognize it and boots normally from internal hard driver as usuall.
I am sure the cd is bootable and have tested it in other systems.
whats the problem ?
thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2011   #2
chessdragon136

Windows 7
 
 

Apologies if you have done this:
When you try to boot from the Ext USB DVD drive, you will need to start up the boot menu (most bios's use F12) and select USB-CDROM -- I remember getting caught out thinking it would just be CDROM

Let us know
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2011   #3
mj2000

Windows 7 Starter SP1 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chessdragon136 View Post
Apologies if you have done this:
When you try to boot from the Ext USB DVD drive, you will need to start up the boot menu (most bios's use F12) and select USB-CDROM -- I remember getting caught out thinking it would just be CDROM

Let us know
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, as i said i have tested in another system according to the same way that you said and it boots in that system from the cd, but it my lap top not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2011   #4
chessdragon136

Windows 7
 
 

OK, thanks for confirming that...
It may simply be that the laptop may not support booting from usb devices..

So I'm not overly sure what else to suggest.. If you have a large enough USB Flash Drive you could make that a bootable flash drive and try booting from that.. I have windows 7 install usb flash drives which I use for OS installations..

Sorry I'm not much help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2011   #5
mj2000

Windows 7 Starter SP1 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chessdragon136 View Post
OK, thanks for confirming that...
It may simply be that the laptop may not support booting from usb devices..

So I'm not overly sure what else to suggest.. If you have a large enough USB Flash Drive you could make that a bootable flash drive and try booting from that.. I have windows 7 install usb flash drives which I use for OS installations..

Sorry I'm not much help
No. it supports booting from usb devices and i usually boot from usb flash drive, but i also want to be able to boot from cd drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2011   #6
mj2000

Windows 7 Starter SP1 32bit
 
 

I think i muss chang the original cd-rom and the external one in bios. but i don t know how.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2011   #7
chessdragon136

Windows 7
 
 

Hmm using the F12 boot menu to select the USB-CDRom should be exactly the same thing though...
However, to change it, it should be simple...
1. Boot PC, when you see the DELL logo, repeatedly press F2 (think its F2..) to get into the BIOS
2. In the BIOS, using the keyboard, there should be a boot menu along the top.
3. In the boot menu, there should be a boot priority, with 1st, 2nd and 3rd boot options
4. Change the 1st to USB-CDRom (or similar), 2nd to the internal hard drive, and the third can be anything (preferably disabled)

Sadly, I dont have a Dell machine, but it should all be pretty similar to most other PC's...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2012   #8
Magued

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mj2000 View Post
Hi all
I run win 7 sp1 on dell inspiron 1520
Its dvd-writer was damaged, so i bought an external Transcend dvd-writer and its working properly but when i insert a bootable cd in it and want to boot the
windows from it, the windows does not recognize it and boots normally from internal hard driver as usuall.
I am sure the cd is bootable and have tested it in other systems.
whats the problem ?
thanks.
Remove the internal DVD from the laptop, it worked with me..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2013   #9
Simondmz

vista 32
 
 

Remove the internal DVD from the laptop, it worked with me.. Worked for me too. Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 My dell inspiron 1520 does not recognize external dvd rom while boot




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: My dell inspiron 1520 does not recognize external dvd rom while boot
Thread Forum
Dell Inspiron 1545 Won't boot into safe mode or boot at all. General Discussion
Touchpad Driver for Dell Inspiron 1520 Drivers
Dell Inspiron One Boot Corruption? Backup and Restore
using dell inspiron 1520, after shut down and reboot bootloop prob General Discussion
Inspiron 1520 compatible enough with windows 7 ? General Discussion
Dell 1520 Inspiron Problem with Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card Drivers
BSOD on laptop idle - Dell Inspiron 1520 BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App