Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Pc boots up, but my monitor goes back to sleepmode

25 Nov 2011   #1
Frawn

OS Windows XP 32-bit
 
 
Pc boots up, but my monitor goes back to sleepmode

Hi,
I"m new to computers, so I will try to be clear as possible.
But I have a question about my pc.
I turned on my pc and i heard the fans, but the sound was too long and went from low to high. And stops.
Then my monitor did turn on, I saw a little message.
Then all of the sudden it goes to sleep mode (orange button).
After that my system cabinet has that same sound when I turned it on. And stops.
My monitor is still in sleep mode. And nothing happens after that.
Can someone tell me what the problem is?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Nov 2011   #2
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

How long has this problem been occurring? Did it just start, did your computer ever run, has it done anything similar in the past?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2011   #3
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Alright, try this:
1. Shut down your computer
2. When it has turned off, unplug the power cord from the wall
3. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds (this closes the circuit and lets the power dissipate from the motherboard components)
4. Plug the computer back into the wall
5. Turn the computer on.

This resets the BIOS and can reset the CMOS chip, which can fix some boot problems. Let me know if this fails to work AND give me some more information about your system, and we will go from there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Nov 2011   #4
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

I'm sorry, but I feel I need to correct misinformation. Lots of folks read these posts.

The motherboard has a 3 volt battery installed in it. This battery provides just enough power to retain all of the BIOS settings regardless of the state of the main power or the power supply. Following the steps above will not reset the BIOS or the CMOS chip.

You can reset the BIOS defaults by selecting that option from within the BIOS settings. Usually on the Exit menu.

To reset the CMOS (Clear the CMOS chip) there will be either a jumper on the motherboard to perform this function with, or newer boards have an actual reset button.

The above procedure will work to restore the BIOS defaults if you add the step:
2b - remove the 3v battery.
But it will not clear the CMOS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #5
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
I'm sorry, but I feel I need to correct misinformation. Lots of folks read these posts.

The motherboard has a 3 volt battery installed in it. This battery provides just enough power to retain all of the BIOS settings regardless of the state of the main power or the power supply. Following the steps above will not reset the BIOS or the CMOS chip.

You can reset the BIOS defaults by selecting that option from within the BIOS settings. Usually on the Exit menu.

To reset the CMOS (Clear the CMOS chip) there will be either a jumper on the motherboard to perform this function with, or newer boards have an actual reset button.

The above procedure will work to restore the BIOS defaults if you add the step:
2b - remove the 3v battery.
But it will not clear the CMOS.
My mistake. Perhaps you can explain to me then: why does turning off one's computer, removing all power sources (battery, ac adapter) and holding down the power for 30 seconds fix so many problems that just resetting the BIOS from the BIOS screen does not? I have fixed 10-20 computer issues using this method when the previous method (the method to go into the BIOS and select the "Reset BIOS to Default Settings") did not work, so I know it does something. Can you explain what that is? I have tried doing research on the subject only to find that no one answers, or if they do, it is to say that it resets the hardware or BIOS/CMOS in some way.

Edit: And I have spoken to electrical engineers, and they told me that the holding down the power button completes the circuit, and it will drain capacitors of power, so it probably has something to do with that step.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #6
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

You are probably talking about a laptop, and I was referring to a desktop. The routine is slightly different on each device.

My assumption from the OP's description was that he/she is working on a desktop computer. It has been a long point of contention on this forum that DESKTOP/LAPTOP should be included in the OP's system specs to help us all in these situations, but the management does not agree that it is necessary. But these are the kind of cases that point out that need.

FRAWN: is this a desktop or laptop computer?

What I wrote is long known to be true for a desktop computer. But a laptop is different. You can reset the BIOS defaults on a laptop pretty much the way you described except for one important step.
  • You remove the power adapter
  • Then remove the laptop battery
  • Then press and hold the power button as you said.

Keep in mind this will not Clear or reset the CMOS chip. It only resets the BIOS default settings. There is a big difference.

To make things more confusing we cannot assume that all laptops are designed the same (as we can with desktops). Some laptops have a 3 volt battery on the motherboard that just powers the CMOS chip, some the battery will also hold the BIOS settings. Some laptops have a CMOS reset button that can be tripped by poking a wire through a hole on the bottom on the case, some do not allow a CMOS clear at all. So we learn to try and get more info from laptop owners before making any recommendations.

So why your process works on your laptop could be just the way it is with your laptop. But perhaps you have a larger problem with the battery in that laptop that would explain why you can reset the BIOS default settings without removing it. Maybe you can by design.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #7
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frawn View Post
Hi,
After that my system cabinet has that same sound when I turned it on. And stops.
I think it is a desktop form this statement.
When I remove the 3V battery from my motherboard for at least 30 seconds the CMOS is indeed reset. To speed it up one may short the + and - battery contacts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #8
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
You are probably talking about a laptop, and I was referring to a desktop. The routine is slightly different on each device.

My assumption from the OP's description was that he/she is working on a desktop computer. It has been a long point of contention on this forum that DESKTOP/LAPTOP should be included in the OP's system specs to help us all in these situations, but the management does not agree that it is necessary. But these are the kind of cases that point out that need.

FRAWN: is this a desktop or laptop computer?

What I wrote is long known to be true for a desktop computer. But a laptop is different. You can reset the BIOS defaults on a laptop pretty much the way you described except for one important step.
  • You remove the power adapter
  • Then remove the laptop battery
  • Then press and hold the power button as you said.

Keep in mind this will not Clear or reset the CMOS chip. It only resets the BIOS default settings. There is a big difference.

To make things more confusing we cannot assume that all laptops are designed the same (as we can with desktops). Some laptops have a 3 volt battery on the motherboard that just powers the CMOS chip, some the battery will also hold the BIOS settings. Some laptops have a CMOS reset button that can be tripped by poking a wire through a hole on the bottom on the case, some do not allow a CMOS clear at all. So we learn to try and get more info from laptop owners before making any recommendations.

So why your process works on your laptop could be just the way it is with your laptop. But perhaps you have a larger problem with the battery in that laptop that would explain why you can reset the BIOS default settings without removing it. Maybe you can by design.
You may find my thread regarding the hard/hardware reset interesting Shut down computer, remove all power sources, hold down power button. I finally found my answer in the final post I made. The reset actually applies to desktop and laptops, but it is more effective on laptops; this is probably due to what you said about it also resetting the BIOS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #9
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

More information if anyone is interested:
Nonvolatile BIOS memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2012   #10
Frawn

OS Windows XP 32-bit
 
 

Hi everyone,
It's been awhile, because I was out of internet service and a lots of digging around.

I have a Desktop Computer.
I did not have that problem for 3weeks after I did what "writhziden" said.
And then after 3 weeks it happened again.
I must add it was a problem while my desktop comp was in his POST period.
And it went on 3 times on and off-ending with a beep. Nothing happened after that.
I turn the computer off, loose all cables, plug them back in. Turn them on. The problem is still there.
I leave it off for a night. The next day all is well.
Now, one day it didn't turn on anymore someone came to check it out.
It seems that it was my second RAM memory.
I had 2 separate 1GB ram memory and added a second 2GB ram memory.
But that memory was the problem.

Thanks for the help.
It's another thing to know about now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Pc boots up, but my monitor goes back to sleepmode




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
I went back to my old monitor, but now it doesn't look right.
I have been using an old CRT monitor for years. I recently bought an LCD monitor, but didn't like how it looked. So I switched back to my old CRT. The problem is, now the CRT has some of the LCD's settings. I changed all the settings I know of (Screen Resolution, AMD Vision Control Center settings,...
Graphic Cards
BSOD when shutting down/sleepmode/hibernate
Hello! I am new to this site, and I joined because I would like assistance trying to figure out why I'm getting this BSOD. This only happens when I try to shut down or go into sleep mode or even hibernate. I'm not sure if this is also causing low frames per second in games because I used to get...
BSOD Help and Support
Get back to the primary monitor
I have an Acer Aspire laptop which is getting the BSOD. I can only start it in Safe Mode. My problem is I was using extended desktop and the tv monitor it is connected to is set as the primary monitor. When I start in safe mode it only sees that monitor and doesn't have any options to change the...
Graphic Cards
Bsod after startup and after sleepmode, 0x00000070E
Hey guys! First of all, i dont have english as my main language so if i formulate the sentences bad then you know why :P I have been having a bunch of bsods since my pc build wich i did for roughly 2 years ago. I have tried to troubleshoot it but with no luck :/. As the describtion sais, they...
BSOD Help and Support
Monitor Loses Signal When Windows Boots Up
When I start my computer with drivers installed my monitor loses the signal when I should be receiving a log in screen. I can boot up fine in safemode and/or if I'm using Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. To my knowledge I do not have an onboard graphics card as there is nothing to plug an avi or vga...
Graphic Cards
While playing movies LapTop wont go to sleepmode.
Hello everyone! When I am watching movies in my LapTop, I want the computer to go sleeping in 30 min. I have set on Battery mode that in 30 minutes it goes to sleep, but while watching a movie it won't go to sleep mode. Can someone suggest me solutions or someone have had that same problem? ...
Music, Pictures & Video


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App