Try updating the firmware for your disc drive. To find the information needed:
1. Click Start Menu
2. Click My Computer
3. Right click on the drive in question
4. Click hardware
5. Look for the drive with type DVD/CD/etc.
6. Write down the full name
7. Search Google with the manufacturer name
8. Find your model (should be included in the full name) on the manufacturer's site
9. Download and install any firmware updates
Edit: Nevermind, your image shows what drive you have: Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850S. Have you tried contacting your vendor (HP, Sony, etc.) to see if they have a firmware update or have a solution to the problem? If you are no longer under warranty, you may want to replace the drive because those are known to have issues like the one you describe. If you do not want to deal with replacing a laptop drive yourself, you can buy an external CD/DVD burner that works well.