Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: RAM Configuration: KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX

22 Dec 2011   #1

Windows 7 - 64-bit
 
 
RAM Configuration: KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX

I think this should be an easy one, but I thought I'd check.

I got this memory:
http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/K...C9D3K2_8GX.pdf
(spec sheet)

And I want to make sure I have it set up properly in the BIOS.

The BIOS gives me a huge list of options, like:

CPU Core
CPC Core
IGPU Voltage
DRAM Voltage
RCH Voltage
CPU PLC Voltage
VTT Voltage
VCCSA Voltage

...

How do I figure out what to set everything to?

The spec sheet says it runs at "DDR-1600", but then it mentions 1333 mhZ...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Dec 2011   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

On the side of the ram sticks there is a sticker that will tell you the voltage and the first 3 timings. Your board may have a Ram (or Dram) configuration section. If you set it to XMP and set the correct voltage, it should run at specs. You may have to set the timings manually, but not usually. Download CPUz and post a screenshot of the memory and SPD tabs. When you set bios at optimizwd defaults, everything else should be set correctly. You will just have to set your sata controller to what you want, set the ram and set the boot order. In your list above is dram voltage. That is your ram voltage, it is on the sticker on your ram sticks and probably the package they came in. it will usually say 1.5V or 1.6V something like that. But, your board will usually read it right, but make sure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2011   #3

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FallibleCanine View Post
I think this should be an easy one, but I thought I'd check.

I got this memory:
http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/K...C9D3K2_8GX.pdf
(spec sheet)

And I want to make sure I have it set up properly in the BIOS.

The BIOS gives me a huge list of options, like:

CPU Core
CPC Core
IGPU Voltage
DRAM Voltage
RCH Voltage
CPU PLC Voltage
VTT Voltage
VCCSA Voltage

...

How do I figure out what to set everything to?

The spec sheet says it runs at "DDR-1600", but then it mentions 1333 mhZ...
The RAM will default to 1333 unless you change the BIOS settings. The easiest way to do that is to enable the XMP profile. (I feel too lazy to check your MB manual to see where that's done.) ALternately, you can probably set the memory frequency, voltage, and timings manually. (That's what I usually do.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Dec 2011   #4

Windows 7 - 64-bit
 
 

Thanks!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
On the side of the ram sticks there is a sticker that will tell you the voltage and the first 3 timings. Your board may have a Ram (or Dram) configuration section. If you set it to XMP and set the correct voltage, it should run at specs. You may have to set the timings manually, but not usually. Download CPUz and post a screenshot of the memory and SPD tabs. When you set bios at optimizwd defaults, everything else should be set correctly. You will just have to set your sata controller to what you want, set the ram and set the boot order. In your list above is dram voltage. That is your ram voltage, it is on the sticker on your ram sticks and probably the package they came in. it will usually say 1.5V or 1.6V something like that. But, your board will usually read it right, but make sure.
The voltage is 1.65V, although I've read that it's best to set it to 1.5V.

The timings are 9-9-27.

The only two things I changed in the BIOS were that I changed the 24 to 27 and I changed the voltage to 1.65V.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
The RAM will default to 1333 unless you change the BIOS settings. The easiest way to do that is to enable the XMP profile. (I feel too lazy to check your MB manual to see where that's done.) ALternately, you can probably set the memory frequency, voltage, and timings manually. (That's what I usually do.)
I have an Asrock motherboard, and I don't think it supports XMP yet. But cpu-z does show an XMP column; is that giving me the XMP numbers?

If "auto" isn't totally reliable, I'd rather set everything manually, but I'm not sure how to do so. There are an awful lot of numbers on that sheet. I also can't tell when the specs are indicating the most extreme possible setting (for overclocking) and when they're giving the recommended number.


Attached Images
  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2011   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

I have an Asrock motherboard too, only mine is a P67 version. Mine does support XML. It is in the overclocking section. If you have it, open it, go to the dram configuration, and enable XMP, set the profile to auto and it should set the ram to specs. But, I always check. On the SPD tab you showed, the XMP is what you will want it set to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2011   #6

Windows 7 - 64-bit
 
 

Thanks! I'll look for it. If it's not there, maybe I'll update.

So I'm guessing I should manually change the TRC to 36.

What about Command Rate?

Also, it gives 800 mHz as the frequency ... um ... I think I have the frequency set to 1333, because that was the highest it would go. Is it something like "set command rate to 2 and then set frequency to 800"? It's 1600 mhz memory.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2011   #7

Windows 7 - 64-bit
 
 

I hunted through the BIOS line-by-line and I didn't see XMP.

manual for motherboard: ran search for XMP and didn't come up with anything
http://download.asrock.com/manual/H61MU3S3.pdf
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2011   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

If it shows 800 on the memory tab of cpuz, that is correct. Ram id double data rate (DDR) so it should be at 600 (which is 1600). If you enable XMP it will ruually set everything correctly. It reads it off of the ram.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2011   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

I didn't see it either, but in the OC tweeker section, try setting the frequency and the timings on the ram just like the XMP profile in cpuz SPD tab and see if that works.

EDIT: Page 37 of the manual.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2011   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FallibleCanine View Post
Thanks! I'll look for it. If it's not there, maybe I'll update.

So I'm guessing I should manually change the TRC to 36.

What about Command Rate?

Also, it gives 800 mHz as the frequency ... um ... I think I have the frequency set to 1333, because that was the highest it would go. Is it something like "set command rate to 2 and then set frequency to 800"? It's 1600 mhz memory.
Your RAM is listed on your motherboard RAM compatibility site:
ASRock > Products > H61M/U3S3 > Memory Support List

As suggested the best way to set your RAM to 1600 MHz (in UEFI it is 800MHZ: DDR = Double Data Rate, 800 x 2 =1600) is to select XMP in your UEFI.

OC Tweaker screen > DRAM Timing Control > DRAM Frequency
Default is 'Auto', check there for the XMP options.
The H61 is limited as far as OC'ing and may be limited on RAM settings, as the documentation is vague at best.

If there is no XMP setting then check the DRAM Frequency 'Manual' setting, see if it has a 800MHz selection (that is what you use to get 1600MHz).
Set the first four RAM timings as per the CPUZ SPD XMP tab, 9-9-9-27 and leave the rest on auto.
DRAM voltage to 1.65v
VTT voltage to 1.15v
If it's not stable change the CR (Command Rate) to 2N.

If that is not stable you will need to bump the VTT voltage, CPU integrated memory controller.
You have to be careful with this voltage, let us know before you do any adjustments.

Let us know how it's going.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 RAM Configuration: KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: RAM Configuration: KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
Thread Forum
ssd configuration Hardware & Devices
Will 7 run well on this configuration? Performance & Maintenance
VLC Configuration Software
AHCI configuration Hardware & Devices
MAC, VPN 'not valid IP configuration' Network & Sharing
Configuration Media Center
My Configuration: 32 or 64? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33