Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: setting up SSD, need help with multiple drives

03 Jan 2012   #1
Thornton

windows 7 Professional
 
 
setting up SSD, need help with multiple drives

i want a SSD for my computer, i plan to put my OS and 3D Dev. programs on it (3d dev programs create constant temp files) and maybe some games, just the ones i use often. my problem is that i dont want to be limmited to the 120-256 GB i may chose to purchase, i want to use my "iolo" to wipe my current HDD at a waping 650gb lol, and be able to use it WITH my SSD. meaning, i would like to have icons on my desktop from my SSD AND my HDD equaling a total 800-956 GB of space, but not all on 1 drive. im having trouble describing what i meen, so if you need more clarification on what im trying to do, post and ill try my best to help you help me some more.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Jan 2012   #2
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Have a look at this tutorial: SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2012   #3
Thornton

windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
thank you very much! and just to be sure... if i did this, i could still use aplications on my HDD aswell as the ssd, meaning i could have icons for applications on my desctop coming from both drives simultaneously?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Jan 2012   #4
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

I don't see why not.

All you can do is try it and see.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2012   #5
Thornton

windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
I don't why not.

All you can do is try it and see.
well ty, if anyone else knows if this method allows for what im trying to do or if there is something else i need to do, it would be appreciated. cuz if i am just gunna use a SSD for my os, than i will avoid a 120 and go for just a 60 gb
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2012   #6
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Yes you can do that. Most of us transfer our User files to another drive. It will not affect how you use them or see them in the OS. And, yes you can install programs on a regular hard drive. I have all of my games and several other programs on another drive and the icons on my desktop. There are a number of ways to do it, but the easiest way is to create a folder with the name of the program on the drive you want it installed on, during the install you will get to a screen that gives you an option of where to install it, select that folder you just created. Most programs allow you to do that, some you have no choice about.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2012   #7
Thornton

windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Yes you can do that. Most of us transfer our User files to another drive. It will not affect how you use them or see them in the OS. And, yes you can install programs on a regular hard drive. I have all of my games and several other programs on another drive and the icons on my desktop. There are a number of ways to do it, but the easiest way is to create a folder with the name of the program on the drive you want it installed on, during the install you will get to a screen that gives you an option of where to install it, select that folder you just created. Most programs allow you to do that, some you have no choice about.
thank you, so if i had both drives set up, i would just set my SSD as my primary and the HDD as slave then? or just set ssd to primary, and what it comes down to is the install location that i set in the programs setup basically?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2012   #8
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

There is no master slave. The second hard drive will just be another drive in the system. Once you install Windows to the SSD, it will be the main drive in the system. You can wipe your current drive, reformat it and use it however you want. The OS drive will always be the 'C' drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2012   #9
emaraszek

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

It's nice if you have a desktop because then you have options. Typically laptops have only one hard drive (unless you get a 17"+) so when I upgraded to a SSD a little while ago, I had been holding out for the larger drives to become cheaper. I picked up a 240 GB OCZ Agility 3 from Newegg for $239.99 as one of their shell shocker deals a couple weeks ago. I figured $1 per gig was the best deal I was going to see for a while

With a desktop you have multiple options. You can add in standard HDDs for storage and run some programs off them. One of the most intriguing things I've seen recently is a capability of the Intel Z68 based motherboards that allows you to use a small SSD as a cache for your hard drive. I recently built a computer for my dad with a Z68 in it and might be installing a small (~40gb) SSD to use with it specifically for that feature. Supposedly it makes the machine almost as fast as a pure SSD setup but is much cheaper since it's a small drive. I haven't seen it in action yet but I'm eager to try it out. Those boards also can switch between integrated graphics on the core i series processors and your video card depending on the application, very cool if you ask me.

As for transferring the OS, I've heard many warnings against it. Supposedly you get better performance and overall life out of your SSD if you start from scratch. Personally I opted for this route and then transferred over my user profile with various app data and all of my documents, pictures, etc. It does take much longer but I was back to my exact setup with all of my custom configurations and programs within 1 day. So just take a weekend to start fresh and it should pay off in the long run
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jan 2012   #10
Thornton

windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by emaraszek View Post
It's nice if you have a desktop because then you have options. Typically laptops have only one hard drive (unless you get a 17"+) so when I upgraded to a SSD a little while ago, I had been holding out for the larger drives to become cheaper. I picked up a 240 GB OCZ Agility 3 from Newegg for $239.99 as one of their shell shocker deals a couple weeks ago. I figured $1 per gig was the best deal I was going to see for a while

With a desktop you have multiple options. You can add in standard HDDs for storage and run some programs off them. One of the most intriguing things I've seen recently is a capability of the Intel Z68 based motherboards that allows you to use a small SSD as a cache for your hard drive. I recently built a computer for my dad with a Z68 in it and might be installing a small (~40gb) SSD to use with it specifically for that feature. Supposedly it makes the machine almost as fast as a pure SSD setup but is much cheaper since it's a small drive. I haven't seen it in action yet but I'm eager to try it out. Those boards also can switch between integrated graphics on the core i series processors and your video card depending on the application, very cool if you ask me.

As for transferring the OS, I've heard many warnings against it. Supposedly you get better performance and overall life out of your SSD if you start from scratch. Personally I opted for this route and then transferred over my user profile with various app data and all of my documents, pictures, etc. It does take much longer but I was back to my exact setup with all of my custom configurations and programs within 1 day. So just take a weekend to start fresh and it should pay off in the long run
thank you for the info. so now for the big question, what are some good brands to go with, i saw kingston and corsair, but when i went on new eg there where some other brands i hadnt heard of. any ideas of what will be best?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 setting up SSD, need help with multiple drives




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Multiple drives, One Desktop, all drives recognized in network
Hi All, I have (4) hard drives that already have Windows 7 installed on each. My rig is a custom build, so as for Motherboard, I have: Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Assassin (has two 6GB/s SATA ports, and four 3 GB/s SATA ports) if not mistaken. I would put eligible drives on the 6 GB/s ports,...
General Discussion
What's needed for setting up multiple monitors ...
Hi Guys - an online friend is currently running a TV from his PC with an HDMI cable, and has asked me this question. i’m wondering if i can set up a spare monitor into my current setup. my main monitor is plugged into the cpu and i have a hdmi wire running from the cpu to the tv. i don’t have...
Graphic Cards
Need Help!! Setting up a software to install multiple PCs
I have a personal laptop that runs Windows 8.1 64 bit on it. What i would like to do is use my laptop and take to several places and install OS-windows 7 and other basic software's on Computers. If i am faced with a task that there are several computers connected to a network switch. No...
Installation & Setup
Setting up a Windows 7 Network between multiple computers
Hello all -- I have worked as a designer on PC and MAC for 20 years, but have never had to do the following task, and have not found good source info through Google searches: I will have a "Master" laptop in one main room in which I will collect presentations for speakers who will be...
Network & Sharing
Setting network drives across all users
I have a situation where I have folks logging into the domain with their respected credentials. I setup the first users with everything they needed and then realized I would need to imitate this over 4-5 other users on the same machine. Is there a way to do this more effectively rather than by...
Network & Sharing
Change security setting on multiple files to everyone
In the public folder I have a Pictures Sub folder with 100's of locked files. How to un lock the files for everyone? Example of the path C:Users\Public\Public Pictures\Camera\*.jpg Want to change all files, folder is open to everyone.
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:00.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App