Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: System Volume on Disk is Corrupt

13 Jan 2012   #1
Hatryst

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 
System Volume on Disk is Corrupt

Hi everyone. Here's a complex problem.

Preface:
While I was on my PC as usual one day, everything froze except the cursor, and I had to reboot. But upon restarting, I was presented with two options. 'Repair (recommended)' and 'Start Windows normally'.
(The following happens every time, and is still valid, nothing has changed).
Upon selecting 'repair', startup repair starts, runs, and it identifies the problem 'System Volume on Disk is Corrupt'. Same is the case when I boot with the Windows installation DVD and try startup repair.
'Start Windows Normally' brings up the 'Starting Windows' screen, it stays there, no animation takes place for about a minute, and then the Windows logo animates in, and the computer restarts.

Please note:
I'll refer to:
New HDD on which I installed Windows: Spare HDD
The HDD with the corrupted Windows: Bad HDD (has 4 partitions, 2 for data and 1 for windows, and 1 system reserved partition). it is 1.5 years old.
Corrupted Windows partition: Bad partition
P.S. I don't have an image/backup of the bad partition.

What I did next:
Installed Windows 7 on a spare hard drive, and attached the bad HDD as secondary. All my data was found to be safe. Except for the partition which is supposed to be the Windows partition. It is not getting recognized as a readable partition. Windows sees it as 'raw' partition, unformatted. Of course, I won't format it.
I installed PartitionWizard and checked the contents of the unreadable partition. All the files and folders on the bad partition are intact, nothing has gone. But the problem is, it's unreadable. I also tried rebuilding the MBR of that disk via PartitionWizard, nothing. No change.

So in a nutshell, the whole question is:
One of the partitions (which happens to be the Windows partition) on my hard drive has corrupted, and my computer can no longer boot up. If I try accessing the partition from another Windows environment, it shows up as unformatted (raw). Although all files are intact, and readable by PartitionWizard. Question is, how do I make this partition readable (by Windows) again?
I believe, once it is made readable, I MIGHT be able to boot from it.

Thanks for any help guys. I'm running the same thread over at How-To Geek Forums, but things got a bit complex there, however you can check it out for reference. I'm looking for feasible solutions, and will try them.

Thanks in advance!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Jan 2012   #2
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote:
I dunno why it is showing Windows 7 installed on Disk D:, while it is actually installed on C: ??
-rp-delete001.png

Quote:
Could it be a failing HDD? It's only 1.5 years old, just so you know. I personally wouldn't expect a 1.5 years old HDD to die like this...
Or is it?

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
HD Diagnostic


My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2012   #3
Hatryst

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Thanks for the reply
Since the bad HDD is Western Digital, I used the WD utility. The test failed, so I tried 'Acronis drive monitor'.

And both tests tell the same story. This is what Acronis reported:
"The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block."

However, Acronis shows that the HDD is 98% healthy.

Where to go from here?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Jan 2012   #4
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hatryst View Post
Thanks for the reply
Since the bad HDD is Western Digital, I used the WD utility. The test failed, so I tried 'Acronis drive monitor'.

And both tests tell the same story. This is what Acronis reported:
"The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block."

However, Acronis shows that the HDD is 98% healthy.

Where to go from here?
Depends on what you want. Do you want the hard disk working (which repairs could result in loss of data), or would you rather get your important files off? I would recommend first backing up your important files by following the steps in Backup Files Using PartedMagic. You can get PartedMagic at PartedMagic.

After you get your important files back, we can work on trying to fix the drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2012   #5
Hatryst

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post

Depends on what you want. Do you want the hard disk working (which repairs could result in loss of data), or would you rather get your important files off? I would recommend first backing up your important files by following the steps in Backup Files Using PartedMagic. You can get PartedMagic at PartedMagic.

After you get your important files back, we can work on trying to fix the drive.
Hi. So I'll backup my data now. But once that's done, would it be possible to repair the hard disk and get it back up and running? Or is it, well, wasted?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2012   #6
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hatryst View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post

Depends on what you want. Do you want the hard disk working (which repairs could result in loss of data), or would you rather get your important files off? I would recommend first backing up your important files by following the steps in Backup Files Using PartedMagic. You can get PartedMagic at PartedMagic.

After you get your important files back, we can work on trying to fix the drive.
Hi. So I'll backup my data now. But once that's done, would it be possible to repair the hard disk and get it back up and running? Or is it, well, wasted?
Depends on the extent of the damage to the hard drive. If it is a mechanical failure, the drive should be returned and replaced by the manufacturer if it is still under warranty. If you just have some bad sectors, it is possible to reclaim the drive, but you would want to monitor it for a while and make sure it is not mechanically failing. If it is mechanically failing, you will see these symptoms again within 1-4 weeks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2012   #7
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote:
Installed Windows 7 on a spare hard drive, and attached the bad HDD as secondary.
You can copy & paste your DATA over.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2012   #8
Hatryst

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote:
Installed Windows 7 on a spare hard drive, and attached the bad HDD as secondary.
You can copy & paste your DATA over.
The spare HDD is only 80GB, so I'll have to manage some storage options...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2012   #9
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hatryst View Post
Except for the partition which is supposed to be the Windows partition. It is not getting recognized as a readable partition. Windows sees it as 'raw' partition, unformatted.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote:
Installed Windows 7 on a spare hard drive, and attached the bad HDD as secondary.
You can copy & paste your DATA over.
The spare HDD is only 80GB, so I'll have to manage some storage options...
I thought you said that the working Windows system you are currently running saw the old Windows partition as RAW and so it was inaccessible? Or did you store your users folders on another partition and can still access them?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2012   #10
Hatryst

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hatryst View Post
Except for the partition which is supposed to be the Windows partition. It is not getting recognized as a readable partition. Windows sees it as 'raw' partition, unformatted.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post

You can copy & paste your DATA over.
The spare HDD is only 80GB, so I'll have to manage some storage options...
I thought you said that the working Windows system you are currently running saw the old Windows partition as RAW and so it was inaccessible? Or did you store your users folders on another partition and can still access them?
Exactly!
I mentioned in the first post. The Windows partition (now inaccessible) had no important data on it, all my data was in the other 2 partitions which are (luckily) readable and all the data is accessible.
Does that mean I don't need to backup any data?
I had some bookmarks in my browsers running in the Windows partition, so yes, a little data recovery is required, however...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 System Volume on Disk is Corrupt




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
corrupt system volume
Hello. Forgive me ahead of time. Im posting this from a tablet. I woke up this morning to find a message on my second moniter saying, please select something from boot device. I dont remember exactly. I restarted. Anytime the repair windows option comes up i use it. So the repair thing...
General Discussion
File system corrupt and unusable - but no disk indicated
I am getting the following error message in Event Viewer and am unable to determine which disk (I have a C: (SSD), D:, F:, G: (all WD hard drives) as well as three network mapped drives . I am running Win 7 Professional. I have run WD diagnostics on all hard drives but no problems were found. ...
General Discussion
Root Cause Found "System volume on disk is corrupt"
Hello I am in a bit of jiffy here. Today when I tried to start up my computer everything started out well, Bios started, checked to see what I have plugged in for CD and Hard-drive(so just normal stuff), but when It started up windows it automatically took me Startup Repair. This was unusual...
Hardware & Devices
"system volume on disk is corrupt" and sfc scan not working
I have a toshiba with a windows 7 64bit, and it's been acting really slow recently and freezing up on me so I thought there might be viruses that I needed to get rid of, so I restarted my computer so I could go in safe mode with networking to check if there really were. When I restarted my computer...
General Discussion
Disk Corrupt Shadow Volume????
I found this under Windows Log in Computer managemant. This error occurs after every reboot. "The file system structire on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \Device\Harddisk\VolumeShadowCopy1" I get this for copy 1, 2, 3, 7,etc. Is this in my setup or...
BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App