Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Continuous post beeping after PSU replacement

25 Jan 2012   #1
ADeV

64 bit Win 7
 
 
Continuous post beeping after PSU replacement

So first I had this problem which I think I may have solved. Windows will not load into or beyond login

Now I have replaced the video card with this one. Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100292DDR3L Radeon HD 5450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

After replacing the video card the computer was non-responsive, after testing the PSU I found out it had gone bad. I found it weird that it blew up at the same time I replaced the video card. I did take the proper precautions with an anti-static wrist band while doing both jobs.

This is what I replaced the original PSU with. Newegg.com - Rosewill Stallion Series RD450-2-SB 450W ATX V2.2 Power Supply

Now with all of this having been done when I try to start the computer I get 17 post beeps. I have tried to search Google and my documentation for an explanation of the beeps with no luck. I don't know what to do now, everything has been plugged back in exactly as it was before. Any help is appreciated.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Jan 2012   #2
scrooge

win 7 ( 64 bit)
 
 

do you still have the old video card ? if so try replacing it and let us no what happens.


scrooge
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2012   #3
ADeV

64 bit Win 7
 
 

The old video card is fried, I'm concerned If I put it back in the computer I'll end up starting this process all over again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jan 2012   #4
scrooge

win 7 ( 64 bit)
 
 

found this link with beep code error numbers maybe it will help you.
POST Beep Codes


scrooge
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2012   #5
ADeV

64 bit Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by scrooge View Post
found this link with beep code error numbers maybe it will help you.
POST Beep Codes


scrooge
That is actually one of the the search results from Google, but having looked through it there isn't anything that has an answer for 17 beeps. Also I am not sure of my BOIS version.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2012   #6
scrooge

win 7 ( 64 bit)
 
 

so it's 17 beeps in a row ? are you shore it's not more then 1 error being beeped out ?


scrooge
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2012   #7
scrooge

win 7 ( 64 bit)
 
 

can you take out the video card and boot and let us no how many beeps it gives with the card out.
also do you have another computer you can test the video card on?

scrooge
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2012   #8
Duzzy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Your motherboard manual states

The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

So long or short beeps?
Long beeps, try taking the graphics card out and use the onboard graphics.
When you replaced the power supply you did plug in the 8pin 12V connector?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2012   #9
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

+1^

If it is short continuous beeps then it sounds like you do not have the power supply connections installed correctly. The Gigabyte motherboard has a 24 pin main power connector and the Rosewill has a 20+4 connector. Be sure that both the 20 pin connector and that green 4 pin connector are plugged in and that the orientation is correct.
Most times the connectors will only go in orientated one way but we have seen one too many times the situation where someone has forced it in wrong.

Be sure the 8 pin 12v connector is plugged in next to the CPU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2012   #10
ADeV

64 bit Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by scrooge View Post
so it's 17 beeps in a row ? are you shore it's not more then 1 error being beeped out ?


scrooge
Yep 17 short beeps. I've let it run the cycle 4 times before I shut it down.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by scrooge View Post
can you take out the video card and boot and let us no how many beeps it gives with the card out.
also do you have another computer you can test the video card on?

scrooge
I just took the video card out I tried to start it up again. Same results, 17 beeps, unfortunately I do not have another computer to try this on all of the other computers in the house are notebooks.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Duzzy View Post
Your motherboard manual states

The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

So long or short beeps?
Long beeps, try taking the graphics card out and use the onboard graphics.
When you replaced the power supply you did plug in the 8pin 12V connector?
You Sir are a god, Where did you find those I poured through that book and found nothing on those codes + rep for you!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
+1^

If it is short continuous beeps then it sounds like you do not have the power supply connections installed correctly. The Gigabyte motherboard has a 24 pin main power connector and the Rosewill has a 20+4 connector. Be sure that both the 20 pin connector and that green 4 pin connector are plugged in and that the orientation is correct.
Most times the connectors will only go in orientated one way but we have seen one too many times the situation where someone has forced it in wrong.

Be sure the 8 pin 12v connector is plugged in next to the CPU.
All plugs are installed correctly the 20+4 and the 4 pin up near the I/O plate. I've tried with both the 4 and 8 pin connector, the first PSU I used only had a 4 available. I'm not sure if that is the Northbridge or the South. There is only one difference with this PSU VS the previous The -5 V pin number 20 has been omitted. I compared them side by side and confirmed all colors and voltages. This is from my Rosewill manual "-5V is a legacy output and has been removed from all power distribution requirement since version 1.2. Only some M/B dated 1993 or older use -5Vfor ISA slot."

Thank you all for your help. I am really just lost on what to do now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Continuous post beeping after PSU replacement




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Beeping Sound + Lag?
Ever since I installed Windows 7 a few days ago, I'll be playing Team Fortress 2 for a few minutes, and suddenly I'll get random beeping sounds and spurts of lag. Any ideas? This did not happen in Vista.
Gaming
.Continuous Beeping Sounds On startup. XPS 630i
Ive had this computer for a while now, (since 2009) and it has been very good. the only problem ive had was that one of the video cards died. that was fine. The PC was working fine last night, wake up to find the screen was black. but the monitor was still receiving a signal. i guess the signal WAS...
Hardware & Devices
Beeping from BIOS
Hey guys. So, I got this problem moments ago. A couple of days ago, I "overclocked" my RAM so it runs at what it was supposed to in factory. Yesterday, I installed my CPU fan which is working well. So, today, I was some pics on my PC and then, suddenly, my mobo speaker started to beep. So, I...
Hardware & Devices
Rapid beeping on post
please read last post for info on the current situation
Installation & Setup
Beeping Problem
Hi, I'm new here and I need help regarding my PC. I've been getting continuous long beeping sounds lately. It seems to happen everytime I press multiple keys in my keyboard at the same time, which of course is unavoidable when you're playing games. Now everytime it happens, my keyboard wouldn't...
General Discussion
whats it mean when HDD is beeping?
1. i tested it in a sata hdd dock and it works, but i install it and it beeps. why?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App