Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: RAM Upgrade on Laptop

06 Feb 2012   #1
oreo27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 
RAM Upgrade on Compaq Evo n610c

Hi,

The scenario is as follows:

1. I have a 1x512 Hynic DDR-333 PC2700 SODIMM laying around the house.
2. My friend saw this and asked me if he could have it installed on his laptop.
3. I googled said laptop and found that memory upgrades for it are DDR-266 PC2100 (Manufacturer site)
4. I also saw same laptop on Crucial's site that it can take DDR-333 PC2700.
5. I told him to play it safe and not install it.
6. He's calling me again now and asking me if he could just try it.
7. I told him that I'd ask some knowledgeable people about this matter.

What's the worst that could happen if he installs it on his laptop and it doesn't actually accept said speed?

I'll provide more details as I get them. Thanks in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Feb 2012   #2
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Have a look at this,

Crucial FAQ - Answer

Quote:
Although these are all types of double data rate (DDR) memory, the varying numbers refer to the different speeds of memory your computer was designed for. Crucial no longer carries PC2100 (DDR266) memory, but PC2700 (DDR333) memory and PC3200 (DDR400) are backward-compatible with PC2100.

Memory is designed to be backward-compatible, so generally speaking, you can safely add faster memory to a computer that was designed to run slower memory. However, your system will operate at the speed of the slowest module or system component (the "lowest common denominator" effect).

One thing to keep in mind is that the memory does need to be the same type-for example, SDRAM cannot be mixed with DDR, and DDR cannot be mixed with DDR2.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2012   #3
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by oreo27 View Post

What's the worst that could happen if he installs it on his laptop and it doesn't actually accept said speed?
It will either be unstable (crash, freeze etc) or will fail to POST. No actual damage will occur.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Feb 2012   #4
profdlp

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

I'd make sure my backups were in good shape first - just in case. If the thing is wildly unstable but manages to boot before it crashes it could possibly corrupt the OS.

(Having your backups in good shape is a good practice, anyway.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2012   #5
oreo27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Have a look at this,

Crucial FAQ - Answer

Quote:
Although these are all types of double data rate (DDR) memory, the varying numbers refer to the different speeds of memory your computer was designed for. Crucial no longer carries PC2100 (DDR266) memory, but PC2700 (DDR333) memory and PC3200 (DDR400) are backward-compatible with PC2100.

Memory is designed to be backward-compatible, so generally speaking, you can safely add faster memory to a computer that was designed to run slower memory. However, your system will operate at the speed of the slowest module or system component (the "lowest common denominator" effect).

One thing to keep in mind is that the memory does need to be the same type-for example, SDRAM cannot be mixed with DDR, and DDR cannot be mixed with DDR2.
Good info. I hope that it really is backwards compatible.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by oreo27 View Post

What's the worst that could happen if he installs it on his laptop and it doesn't actually accept said speed?
It will either be unstable (crash, freeze etc) or will fail to POST. No actual damage will occur.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
I'd make sure my backups were in good shape first - just in case. If the thing is wildly unstable but manages to boot before it crashes it could possibly corrupt the OS.

(Having your backups in good shape is a good practice, anyway.)
This guy isn't very computer savy so I doubt it. In any case, I guess the risk isn't that bad. I'll just image his drive with Macrium and install the RAM sticks. I'll then post back here on what happens.

Rep added for everyone I can add to
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2012   #6
profdlp

Main - Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-Bit; 2nd - Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
I'd make sure my backups were in good shape first - just in case. If the thing is wildly unstable but manages to boot before it crashes it could possibly corrupt the OS.

(Having your backups in good shape is a good practice, anyway.)
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by oreo27 View Post
...This guy isn't very computer savy so I doubt it. In any case, I guess the risk isn't that bad. I'll just image his drive with Macrium and install the RAM sticks...
That is a very good idea.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2012   #7
oreo27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by profdlp View Post
I'd make sure my backups were in good shape first - just in case. If the thing is wildly unstable but manages to boot before it crashes it could possibly corrupt the OS.

(Having your backups in good shape is a good practice, anyway.)
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by oreo27 View Post
...This guy isn't very computer savy so I doubt it. In any case, I guess the risk isn't that bad. I'll just image his drive with Macrium and install the RAM sticks...
That is a very good idea.
One I couldn't have thought of until you reminded me. Lol. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2012   #8
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I wouldn't have any worry about data loss or corruption. If the laptop boots to Windows, then it is a safe bet the memory is compatible. memory can always down clock to a lower speed, so assuming his laptop really takes DDR memory, and is capable of handling 512 MB sticks, he should be okay.

There's always a chance that memory of different brands won't play nice together, but unfortunately, there's no way to know this ahead of time. It's always best to used matched pairs, but in this case, trying it out os the only way to know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2012   #9
oreo27

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
I wouldn't have any worry about data loss or corruption. If the laptop boots to Windows, then it is a safe bet the memory is compatible. memory can always down clock to a lower speed, so assuming his laptop really takes DDR memory, and is capable of handling 512 MB sticks, he should be okay.

There's always a chance that memory of different brands won't play nice together, but unfortunately, there's no way to know this ahead of time. It's always best to used matched pairs, but in this case, trying it out os the only way to know.
Well, better safe than sorry as I always say

Yup, it's capable of taking it says the memory configuration page of the manufacturer.

Indeed, this happens even with same speeds and timings. We can never really tell. I guess we'll all find out soon enough
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 RAM Upgrade on Laptop




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Laptop CPU Upgrade
I have recently upgraded my Toshiba Sattelite L645D from a AMD Turion Dual Core 2.3 to a AMD Turion 2.6. It was successful and it works fine. However I found that my socket is also compatible with a AMD Phenom II Quad-Core 2.4GHZ. Would this be better for gaming? Also, it is a 20 watt...
Hardware & Devices
BSOD After SSD upgrade and Ram upgrade in Laptop. Mostly IRQL errors
Like the title said, I'm getting random BSOD after upgrading to SSD and RAM. Initially I thought it was the Intel Rapid Technology, because the system improved after I've installed. But now it still BSOD, but less frequent. Here are my dump files and jcgriff2 files Minidump.7z ...
BSOD Help and Support
Can I Upgrade my Laptop's Video Card? Samsung Laptop RV411
I have Nvidia GeForce 315M im trying to upgrade to a more preferable video card. Please reply ASAP
Performance & Maintenance
Can you upgrade the cpu in a laptop?
Just bought this laptop here. I was looking for an i7 but got a great deal on it so it went ahead and bought it. Without changing the motherboard or anything. Can i just swap it out like a desktop? I know you can upgrade ram so i wasn't sure. Amazon.com: HP Pavilion dm4-1160us 14-Inch Laptop...
Chillout Room
Upgrade Old Laptop
I have a 4-5 yr/old HP laptop that currently runs XP Pro. It is stable, but I was thinking about upgrading. I have 2GB ram and a 250GB hard drive installed. Product Specifications HP Pavilion zv6130us Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English) I am looking at how well it would...
General Discussion
HP Laptop Upgrade
I have a HP dv5 Series laptop.I wish to upgrade from Vista Basic 32 to Windows 7 32. However,the upgrade lists out certain issues like SCSI/RAID Host controller and keyboard filter(among others),as potential issues. What should I do to resolve these issues,and where do I go to find resources...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App