Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Show us your SSD performance 2

11 Nov 2013   #1361
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Thos numbers look good, truckinguy. good job.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Nov 2013   #1362
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Watch out - with those nums you may get whiplash.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2013   #1363
truckinguy

Win7 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
Real good man.
Thanks... It seems to fly compared to my WDBlacks and XT's
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Nov 2013   #1364
rvcjew

7 Pro x64, 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by truckinguy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
Real good man.
Thanks... It seems to fly compared to my WDBlacks and XT's
oh it would you need at least a 15k drive to get close to a slow ssd.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2013   #1365
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
you need at least a 15k drive to get close to a slow ssd
Even such a disk would still be a lot slower than any SSD. Reason is the much slower access time on a spinning disk.

An average SSD has an access time of 0.1ms and a spinner would range from 10ms to 15ms - thus being 100 to 150 times slower.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2013   #1366
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by truckinguy View Post
Hey Guys how do these numbers look.. 840 Pro 256 gb
Very good, on par with mine, are they in your laptop?.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2013   #1367
truckinguy

Win7 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by truckinguy View Post
Hey Guys how do these numbers look.. 840 Pro 256 gb
Very good, on par with mine, are they in your laptop?.
Yes it is in a Dell E6530. 8 gb memory. I also have a 840 Pro 256 gb in my Media Bay for storage. I tried to set the bios to ACHI but it gave me a hard time. It wouldn't boot in ACHI and ended up using the bios setting's that Dell had setup with the HDD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2013   #1368
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by truckinguy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by truckinguy View Post
Hey Guys how do these numbers look.. 840 Pro 256 gb
Very good, on par with mine, are they in your laptop?.
Yes it is in a Dell E6530. 8 gb memory. I also have a 840 Pro 256 gb in my Media Bay for storage. I tried to set the bios to ACHI but it gave me a hard time. It wouldn't boot in ACHI and ended up using the bios setting's that Dell had setup with the HDD.
Did you try this? AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2013   #1369
rvcjew

7 Pro x64, 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
you need at least a 15k drive to get close to a slow ssd
Even such a disk would still be a lot slower than any SSD. Reason is the much slower access time on a spinning disk.

An average SSD has an access time of 0.1ms and a spinner would range from 10ms to 15ms - thus being 100 to 150 times slower.
some of the drives for servers have over 6GB of cache and can read write close to what a cheap ssd can.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2013   #1370
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
you need at least a 15k drive to get close to a slow ssd
Even such a disk would still be a lot slower than any SSD. Reason is the much slower access time on a spinning disk.

An average SSD has an access time of 0.1ms and a spinner would range from 10ms to 15ms - thus being 100 to 150 times slower.
some of the drives for servers have over 6GB of cache and can read write close to what a cheap ssd can.
But only if what you are looking for happens to be in the cache. Else you are stuck with a 15ms (on average) access time which is 150 times slower than the average SSD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Show us your SSD performance 2




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Show us your hard drive performance
I thought it would be interesting to compare everyones hard drive performances with screenshots from HD Tune utility (get from HD Tune). Maybe after some time we could produce a results table. So heres mine: Im going to show you the single WD Raptor X results first for interest: ...
Hardware & Devices
SSD show low performance
I bought a Samsung 840 EVO120Gb which is showing a very disappointing performance. My system is the following: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Asus P7P55 WS GSkill 12gb Intel i5 760 2.8Ghz 4x Nvidia Quadro NVS 290
Performance & Maintenance
HDDs Show in BIOS, But Do Not Show in Disk Management
Hello, A newbie here that just completed a first-time new Win7 PC build. Successful installation of Win7 Pro on WD 600GB 10000 system drive. Went back and installed 4 additional HDD. (2) WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM and (2) WD Caviar 7200 500GB HDD from XP system that were used for storage. ...
Hardware & Devices
Show us your SSD performance
I'm interested to see what others are getting out of their SSD or SSDs in RAID. It's cool to look through the "Show us your hard drive performance" thread but here's a place for just SSD performance. I have a 128GB Patriot Torqx. (F/W v1881) Please post your benchmarks.:) Edit: I now have...
Hardware & Devices
Show us your Mechanical HDD performance...
Since the SSD boys and girls have a "Show us your SSD Performance" thread, I thought I'd start one for us mechanical HDD owners. Simply DL, install, and run HD Tune and post screenshots of results here in this thread. Please also tell us the Make and Model of your HDD(s) and any other specs you...
Hardware & Devices
show hidden folders show file extensions thru registry
I am trying to setup a default user or machine setup for how win7 handles folder view options. I want show hidden folders to be set to on for all users and the hide extensions for know file types to be unchecked or turned off ffor all users (so extensions show) I have located them in the registry...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:20.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App