Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Show us your SSD performance 2

27 May 2012   #311
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

My comment was maybe a little severe since I run the benchmarks as well. Maybe I should have asked if anyone had a comment on the apparent high number of "Non-4K Aligned Access" which I think everyone gets using typical apps. I'm not sure how you would measure such read/write access times.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 May 2012   #312
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I didn't realize this before
Attachment 213760
"Basically, even though you have Windows and your drive nicely aligned - there's nothing stopping developers from reading and writing whatever they want. Which is a perfectly valid thing for software to do but will show as a non 4k access."
SSD SMART "Non-4k Aligned Access" - Crucial Community
So I wonder if software developers don't have SSDs in mind then real world software may not reflect blistering benchmarks?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
My comment was maybe a little severe since I run the benchmarks as well. Maybe I should have asked if anyone had a comment on the apparent high number of "Non-4K Aligned Access" which I think everyone gets using typical apps. I'm not sure how you would measure such read/write access times.
If I follow your link to their link to the document there is no document.
http://www.micron.com/get-document/?documentId=5611

I have never seen that particular SMART attribute before so I have no idea.
The actual document might have been useful.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2012   #313
Terronium 12

Windows 10 Technical Preview - x64
 
 

In terms of showing off I've got you all beat with my extra special Agility 3 operating at SATA 5 speeds, maybe even SATA 7!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 May 2012   #314
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Terronium 12 View Post
In terms of showing off I've got you all beat with my extra special Agility 3 operating at SATA 5 speeds, maybe even SATA 7!

Well, the only thing about these tests is, you can never trust the results to be correct. I do believe that to be especially true in your case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2012   #315
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Terronium 12 View Post
In terms of showing off I've got you all beat with my extra special Agility 3 operating at SATA 5 speeds, maybe even SATA 7!
Yeah right, at least you got us puzzled.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2012   #316
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
If I follow your link to their link to the document there is no document.
http://www.micron.com/get-document/?documentId=5611

I have never seen that particular SMART attribute before so I have no idea.
The actual document might have been useful.
Yes this is as far as the trail goes
Re: SMART ID 181 very long raw count - Crucial Community
but is sufficient to explain what the smart attribute means. The implication of unaligned reads and writes is the question I raise. I'll do more of my own homework to find out but I would expect unaligned read and writes to be slower like an unaligned drive benchmarks slower.

Also you will also see other SMART data reported by CrystalDiskInfo for the SSD that isn't reported for a spinner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2012   #317
Terronium 12

Windows 10 Technical Preview - x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Well, the only thing about these tests is, you can never trust the results to be correct. I do believe that to be especially true in your case.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Yeah right, at least you got us puzzled.
I'll tell my kids I knew of future SATA speeds before they were even finalized because I had a prototype.

Alright, I need to get an accurate reading now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2012   #318
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Terronium 12 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Well, the only thing about these tests is, you can never trust the results to be correct. I do believe that to be especially true in your case.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Yeah right, at least you got us puzzled.
I'll tell my kids I knew of future SATA speeds before they were even finalized because I had a prototype.

Alright, I need to get an accurate reading now.
You haven't been riding in Doc Brown's time machine, have you?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2012   #319
JerometheGiraff

Windows 10 Pro
 
 



Hardware change now supports SSD 6 GB/Second (Update)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2012   #320
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Is it still a computer?

A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Show us your SSD performance 2




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Show us your hard drive performance
I thought it would be interesting to compare everyones hard drive performances with screenshots from HD Tune utility (get from HD Tune). Maybe after some time we could produce a results table. So heres mine: Im going to show you the single WD Raptor X results first for interest: ...
Hardware & Devices
SSD show low performance
I bought a Samsung 840 EVO120Gb which is showing a very disappointing performance. My system is the following: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Asus P7P55 WS GSkill 12gb Intel i5 760 2.8Ghz 4x Nvidia Quadro NVS 290
Performance & Maintenance
HDDs Show in BIOS, But Do Not Show in Disk Management
Hello, A newbie here that just completed a first-time new Win7 PC build. Successful installation of Win7 Pro on WD 600GB 10000 system drive. Went back and installed 4 additional HDD. (2) WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM and (2) WD Caviar 7200 500GB HDD from XP system that were used for storage. ...
Hardware & Devices
Show us your SSD performance
I'm interested to see what others are getting out of their SSD or SSDs in RAID. It's cool to look through the "Show us your hard drive performance" thread but here's a place for just SSD performance. I have a 128GB Patriot Torqx. (F/W v1881) Please post your benchmarks.:) Edit: I now have...
Hardware & Devices
Show us your Mechanical HDD performance...
Since the SSD boys and girls have a "Show us your SSD Performance" thread, I thought I'd start one for us mechanical HDD owners. Simply DL, install, and run HD Tune and post screenshots of results here in this thread. Please also tell us the Make and Model of your HDD(s) and any other specs you...
Hardware & Devices
show hidden folders show file extensions thru registry
I am trying to setup a default user or machine setup for how win7 handles folder view options. I want show hidden folders to be set to on for all users and the hide extensions for know file types to be unchecked or turned off ffor all users (so extensions show) I have located them in the registry...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:14.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App