Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Show us your SSD performance 2


17 Oct 2012   #631

windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
If you can wait, the Samsung 840 Pro is coming out in a couple of weeks. Should be one of the fastest SSD's on the market, plus you absolutely can't beat Samsung reliability. Newegg has the Samsung 830 128GB on sale TODAY for $79.99 and that is an absolute steal.
the 840 pro is good but has a huge price permium, in the uk its 60-100% more than the 830. I think samsung have realised now their reputation will sell these units regardless of price.

I would avoid the basic 840 (no pro version) it uses cheaper shorter life TLC nand chips. So I would just get a discounted 830. The 840 pro whilst better I doubt will give a noticeble improvement.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Oct 2012   #632

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chrysalis View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
If you can wait, the Samsung 840 Pro is coming out in a couple of weeks. Should be one of the fastest SSD's on the market, plus you absolutely can't beat Samsung reliability. Newegg has the Samsung 830 128GB on sale TODAY for $79.99 and that is an absolute steal.
the 840 pro is good but has a huge price permium, in the uk its 60-100% more than the 830. I think samsung have realised now their reputation will sell these units regardless of price.

I would avoid the basic 840 (no pro version) it uses cheaper shorter life TLC nand chips. So I would just get a discounted 830. The 840 pro whilst better I doubt will give a noticeble improvement.
I agree, but I'd be willing to bet the 840 Pro will be around $120-130 at release for the 128GB model. The Samsung 830 is still a HUGE upgrade from a HDD though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2012   #633

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

The new Samsung 840 SSDs are available with release dates starting next week.

SAMSUNG 840 Pro 128GB is at Newegg for $149.99.

I would think after a month or two the prices will start coming down.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Oct 2012   #634

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

That is also the MSRP, which may or may not be the actual price on 10/23/2012........we'll see soon enough!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2012   #635

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

lol,simply out of my budget if that's the case......like WAYY out! They really should make something affordable for students...
How's this one: E6420 SSD benchmark ATA vs AHCI – Samsung 128GB SSD Model: MZ-7PA1280/0D1 | Vivi The Mage
Its 128GB from samsung,going for about 80$ new here. The shopkeeper is getting rid of the older models in preparation of new 840's too i think -_-
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2012   #636
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

If you guys are looking for a SSD to place the OS, you do well buying one of the good cheap older models. For an OS installation there will be very little difference between those and the new super high speed models. That is because the OS works predominantly with small 4K blocks and the good performance comes from the very fast access time.

The superfast SSDs make only sense if you use them as data storage with large data blocks. But that will require big SSDs of 512GB and up - and who can afford those.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2012   #637

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Firmware

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
There is no need to get addicted by the numbers. As I said, if the 4K nums and the access times look OK, then you will get very good OS performance. And a few notches up or down you will never notice in real life.


As to the variation of the numbers I have no good explanation either. CCleaner should not impact them. CCleaner is a good product for cleaning temporary files, but I would not use the registry cleaner - not necessary.


The measuring programs also vary in their results. Even if you make 2 runs one immediately after the other, you will get different results. Sometimes the processes running in the background impact the results.

Ok.....I have been looking firmwares for my SSDīs (OCZ - Vertex4) and I found inside the OCZ website a new version avaiable to download. My firmware is version 1.4.1.3 and the new one is 1.5.
Looking some notes inside the website I realise that I will need save my files before run the process (update).
I never have been had that process. Some one can explain if itīs really needed to get better performance on my SSDīs .
I spent to much time to config my machine and just now I realise that I forgot to make that process with my SSDīs, and I have all my stuffīs installed and setted like I want. I can belive brothers.....more than 3 days working on my machine to make everything correctly and now .....!!@@!!!@@@!
Ohhh man...The instruction I got on website said to put the configuration out of RAID ...and everything.....I have done that on bios....What I need to do......if some one have been making that process, give me a help if possible.

Thanks anyway everyone!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2012   #638
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

@47box, Unless the new firmware addresses a problem you have, leave it as it is. There is a slight rick of losing all of your data. The instructions on the OCZ Vertex site will govern how the process is carried out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2012   #639

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
If you guys are looking for a SSD to place the OS, you do well buying one of the good cheap older models. For an OS installation there will be very little difference between those and the new super high speed models. That is because the OS works predominantly with small 4K blocks and the good performance comes from the very fast access time.

The superfast SSDs make only sense if you use them as data storage with large data blocks. But that will require big SSDs of 512GB and up - and who can afford those.
Hum WHS am just wondering what is meant by super high speed cos my 830 is a pocket rocket I just can't see why I (personally) would want anything that is faster I can only see it being a plus for a business or some extreme gaming (for example).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2012   #640
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
Hum WHS am just wondering what is meant by super high speed cos my 830 is a pocket rocket I just can't see why I (personally) would want anything that is faster I can only see it being a plus for a business or some extreme gaming (for example).
That is my point. The 'normal' SSDs that are on the market today are as good as a home user needs. There is nothing to be gained for the OS if you install an expensive new SSD that provides faster transfer rates for large blocks (which the OS does not use).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Show us your SSD performance 2




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Show us your SSD performance 2
Thread Forum
Show us your hard drive performance Hardware & Devices
HDDs Show in BIOS, But Do Not Show in Disk Management Hardware & Devices
Solved Intel 520 SSD, low performance, high performance, then low again...? Hardware & Devices
Show us your SSD performance Hardware & Devices
Show us your Mechanical HDD performance... Hardware & Devices
show hidden folders show file extensions thru registry General Discussion
Performance Has Changed To Performance Moniter Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Đ Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33