Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: hard drive error

17 Feb 2012   #1

home premium 64 bit
 
 
hard drive error

when I got my latest computer I partitioned the OS drive into 2 partitions and used the logical drive to store data. I now am having problems with it. When I try to open this drive I get 'M:\ is not accessible. Parameter is incorrect'. The drive is showing a healthy logical drive in My Computer but is inaccessible. Any help appreciated

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Feb 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Post a screen shot of Windows Disk Management.

What is the result if you go to a command prompt, change to the M drive, and enter this command:

dir /s *.*

Do you see a bunch of files flash by, and when it stops, do you see a numerical total of some kind?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2012   #3

home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Post a screen shot of Windows Disk Management.

What is the result if you go to a command prompt, change to the M drive, and enter this command:

dir /s *.*

Do you see a bunch of files flash by, and when it stops, do you see a numerical total of some kind?
when I try that I just get a 'invalid switch' message
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Feb 2012   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whatfor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Post a screen shot of Windows Disk Management.

What is the result if you go to a command prompt, change to the M drive, and enter this command:

dir /s *.*

Do you see a bunch of files flash by, and when it stops, do you see a numerical total of some kind?
when I try that I just get a 'invalid switch' message
With a space after the dir and after the s, but nowhere else?

Or just try dir *.*

A screenshot might help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2012   #5

home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whatfor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Post a screen shot of Windows Disk Management.

What is the result if you go to a command prompt, change to the M drive, and enter this command:

dir /s *.*

Do you see a bunch of files flash by, and when it stops, do you see a numerical total of some kind?
when I try that I just get a 'invalid switch' message
With a space after the dir and after the s, but nowhere else?

Or just try dir *.*

A screenshot might help.
no matter which way I try that from the command prompt I get 'invalid switch'

here is a screen shot. the problem drive is M
hard drive error-drive.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2012   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Uh-oh. That pic shows it as a RAW drive.

I assume you have data on it?

It sounds like a partition table error. Did you previously format M with the NTFS file system? And then put data on it?

It's probably correctable with the right tool.

You might get some ideas here:

RAW Drive

Or hope that SIW2 sees this thread.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2012   #7

home premium 64 bit
 
 

running testdisk now...could take awhile
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2012   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Sometimes running a Disk Check on the drive with both boxes checked will fix the RAW error, as well. This is the easier solution if it works.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2012   #9

home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Sometimes running a Disk Check on the drive with both boxes checked will fix the RAW error, as well. This is the easier solution if it works.
I will give disk-check a try after testdisk has finished running. thanks for the info
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2012   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

What is the current status of the system and the partition that was marked RAW? Any change?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 hard drive error




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: hard drive error
Thread Forum
Solved BSOD error can i just put in a hard drive that has xp ? Hardware & Devices
Hard Drive error Hardware & Devices
"0x80070057" Error copying files from hard drive to hard drive?? Hardware & Devices
Hard drive error 2100: HDDO initilization error (1) BSOD Help and Support
Hard drive error? Installation & Setup
Error Writing WC3 To Hard Drive???? Gaming
HP Hard-Drive Error BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33