Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: looking for better monitors


07 Mar 2012   #1

windows 7 home premium
 
 
looking for better monitors

not sure when i ll be ready to buy, but im looking for a 120htz monitor, preferably not 3d, i think the concept is cool, but i dont game in 3d enough for it to really matter, so im gunna go with not 3d for now. id settle for less than 120htz if its not dooable, but i want a reel smooth, clean, crisp picture, the kind you just dont get with 60/70 htz monitors.

i looked at acer and view sonic, not much, my budget isnt really set cuz i dont plan on buying soon, other prioritys, i just wanna go over my options, but i want to try to keep it as close to 300 or less without being the cheapest thing ever if possible, id like 23"/24" but id settle for 22" if it would be the difference in price. prefferably 1080p 16:9 but would do 1200p 8:5 seeing as how it is a more common resolution in games and is there fore often less expensive.

thanks for the help, dont feel like you cant help me cuz my price is $50-$100 off or somthing or other, these are not limitations to my search, just preferences. once again ty and sorry for being mr block of text

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Mar 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I don't get into the specs like the hertz much because I frankly don't think it makes that big of a deal. I generally stuck to Dell screens for my LCDs, or Samsungs if I go away from Dell. The human eye can't detect anything passed 60 hz from what I understand, so I never saw the point of running much higher. I've had 120 hz monitors in front of me, and they don't look any different...especially for a computer monitor. If you buy a quality monitor, you can get a clean crisp image regardless of the hz ratings.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2012   #3

windows 7 home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
I don't get into the specs like the hertz much because I frankly don't think it makes that big of a deal. I generally stuck to Dell screens for my LCDs, or Samsungs if I go away from Dell. The human eye can't detect anything passed 60 hz from what I understand, so I never saw the point of running much higher. I've had 120 hz monitors in front of me, and they don't look any different...especially for a computer monitor. If you buy a quality monitor, you can get a clean crisp image regardless of the hz ratings.
im talking motion image, to make sure we are on the same page... a monitor with higher htz can be much smoother when game play is well over 60fps.

you might not be able to see it, blame that on your eyes, not mine, i can see the difference from a mile away, granted i also pull almost 20/20 vison.

AAx will not need to be as high to look good with a higher htz monitor, and someone who knows how it works knows that. the edges will look smoother and sharper, less blurry, on a 60/70 htz monitor it will be blurry and only crisp and clean when it is horizontal or vertical.

playing animations such as blue ray on a 120htz monitor is much cleaner, why do you think people pay so much to go see i max. the screen size is mostly meant to be catered to the crowed size, its not what makes i max i max. what makes i max i max, is the fact that it is made with a camera that records at such a high frame rate that the image looks smoother... crisper... and cleaner... blame that on digital technolagy my friend.

anyways, if anyone has PRODUCTIVE comment, id appreciate it




also, i have 3 quallity monitors, althou still hp, they seem to do what you describe, i just want better
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Mar 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
you might not be able to see it, blame that on your eyes, not mine, i can see the difference from a mile away, granted i also pull almost 20/20 vison.
It's actually a limitation of the human eye.

You also are jumping all over the place. You aren't looking for an iMax screen. You are looking for computer monitors. There's a big difference.

Now, you want a productive comment? I am an IT Director, who is solely in charge of equipment purchasing for my company. I had several monitors sent in from one of my parts vendors, and set them up for my graphic design / media content team. For computer usage, you are spending money for no return. If you get a quality monitor and tune it properly, the human eye isn't going to be able to detect the differences.

However, you clearly aren't willing to listen to someone trying to save you some cash...so do as you may. It's your money being wasted, not mine.

By the way, HP does make some nice monitors, and I got to use some of them in my 5+ of working for HP. However, the Dell UltraSharp line puts them to shame.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2012   #5

Windows 8 Pro 9200 x64 w/Media Center
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

If you want better monitors, invest in IPS panels instead of TN panels. Something like the Dell U2410 ($550-$600). Or if you want to cut down the price a bit, the U2312HM is around $299 for a 23" IPS display.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2012   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I thought they sell some monitors/tvs that can change via user input whether it interpolates the second image (making it 120Hz) or not. So in the case of watching sports or some fast action gameplay or for whatever reason (because we, as humans, tend to bicker over the minutiae of life, big deal) you want it 120Hz at some point and not another, you could change it at your whim.

Or maybe it came to me in a dream?

I must admit, there is a subtle difference between 60 and 120Hz in fast motion, but I guess I don't care enough to pay that extra money for it. I'd rather use that extra money that they would charge to have a bigger screen, hd capability, better warranty, and maybe faster response time. I mean, crap, get the 240Hz screens if you care so much about it, heh.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2012   #8

windows 7 home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
you might not be able to see it, blame that on your eyes, not mine, i can see the difference from a mile away, granted i also pull almost 20/20 vison.
It's actually a limitation of the human eye.

You also are jumping all over the place. You aren't looking for an iMax screen. You are looking for computer monitors. There's a big difference.

Now, you want a productive comment? I am an IT Director, who is solely in charge of equipment purchasing for my company. I had several monitors sent in from one of my parts vendors, and set them up for my graphic design / media content team. For computer usage, you are spending money for no return. If you get a quality monitor and tune it properly, the human eye isn't going to be able to detect the differences.

However, you clearly aren't willing to listen to someone trying to save you some cash...so do as you may. It's your money being wasted, not mine.

By the way, HP does make some nice monitors, and I got to use some of them in my 5+ of working for HP. However, the Dell UltraSharp line puts them to shame.
this isnt about me being willing to listen or not, and thats what your not getting. they dont make 120hz tvs cuz there is no demand for it. what you are relaying back to me is a myth that was created a long time ago when they first became big. your talking to an ADD graphic designer who can spot the tiniest difference from a mile away if its worth looking for. to me it is. i refference i max to expand my point, that it is a worth while investment, if our eyes are as limited as you say they are, everybody would limit them selves to digital theater instead. i only brought up the size of an i max to say that that was not the focus of my point.

If you put a 120hz monitor in front of me without telling me, i could tell you if it is or is not. like i said, it is a limmitation to the AVERAGE human eye, not mine.

i will look into the ultrasharp, and keep in mind what i am saying, you are making a very broad statement. they wouldnt make it if it didnt serve a purpose
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2012   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I don't understand why you asked for any input/advise, you already seem to know what you want.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2012   #10

windows 7 home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nitro58 View Post
I don't understand why you asked for any input/advise, you already seem to know what you want.
well i said that with the the thought that it would be understood that trying to explain the reasons why im wrong for wanting a 120hz monitor wouldnt go over well. im open to suggestions, i was thinking more allong the lines of ""it might be hard to find a 120hz monitor without 3d like you say, you might find it easier to buy * and do * to it"" if you know what im trying to get at. i am not as against the 60hz monitor thing iether, but clearly the setup i have is not good enough to measure up to the quality of a 120hz, so if someone can explain to me how i could achieve this, i might be less inclined to give a reply someone doesnt want to here. if you are just getting frustrated at the concept that anyone could want a 120hz monitor, and you act on that, instead of trying to explain a better solution, YOUR NOT HELPING lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 looking for better monitors




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: looking for better monitors
Thread Forum
3 monitors Graphic Cards
Is Nvidia dual monitors a poor cousin to Windows 7 dual monitors?.. Graphic Cards
3 monitors Graphic Cards
Two monitors Graphic Cards
How many monitors? Chillout Room
2 Monitors Hardware & Devices
Monitors Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33