Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Drive letter disappear after reboot

08 Apr 2012   #1
owen0729

Windows 7
 
 
Drive letter disappear after reboot

recently built a computer. after install the windows 7, i notice my drive letter keep disappear after every reboot. i have to assign a new letter each time after a reboot for it to appear under my computer. and all of the application in the hard drive is readable but can't not access because the path is undefined. what is going on, can someone help me fix this?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Apr 2012   #2
dsperber

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)
 
 

Are you describing a situation concerning a removable external USB drive's letter?

Or a second or other partition on your internal hard drive(s)?

Or you C-drive?? (that would seem to be impossible)

Can you please clarify. Also, if you could post a screenshot from DISKMGMT.MSC (full-screen maximized first, columns spread wider so that we can see the contents of each cell in the upper part of the presentation) when things are "normal", and then tell us which drive letter disappears at boot, it would be very helpful.

Also, you haven't filled in your System Specs so we don't know what your hardware looks like. Please complete that, or at least describe your machine in text.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2012   #3
owen0729

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
Are you describing a situation concerning a removable external USB drive's letter?

Or a second or other partition on your internal hard drive(s)?

Or you C-drive?? (that would seem to be impossible)

Can you please clarify. Also, if you could post a screenshot from DISKMGMT.MSC (full-screen maximized first, columns spread wider so that we can see the contents of each cell in the upper part of the presentation) when things are "normal", and then tell us which drive letter disappears at boot, it would be very helpful.

Also, you haven't filled in your System Specs so we don't know what your hardware looks like. Please complete that, or at least describe your machine in text.
i have two hard drives, one is a ssd and one is a western digital normal hard drive. the ssd is fine but the WD hard drive's drive letter keep disappearing after each reboot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Apr 2012   #4
dsperber

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by owen0729 View Post
i have two hard drives, one is a ssd and one is a western digital normal hard drive.
Both internal? SATA or IDE on the WD? Or is the WD drive an external/USB drive?


Quote:
the ssd is fine but the WD hard drive's drive letter keep disappearing after each reboot.
Again, can you please post a screenshot from DISKMGMT.MSC.

Also, details on your machine constructions would be extremely helpful... certainly at least your motherboard and CPU and memory and video card, as well as any external USB removable devices. If it's a commercial manufacturer desktop or laptop, the manufacturer and model and any options would be important.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2012   #5
owen0729

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by owen0729 View Post
i have two hard drives, one is a ssd and one is a western digital normal hard drive.
Both internal?


Quote:
the ssd is fine but the WD hard drive's drive letter keep disappearing after each reboot.
Again, can you please post a screenshot from DISKMGMT.MSC.

Also, details on your machine constructions would be extremely helpful... certainly at least your motherboard and CPU and memory and video card, as well as any external USB removable devices. If it's a commercial manufacturer desktop or laptop, the manufacturer and model and any options would be important.
it's a corsair 400r case with a asus p8z68-v gen3 motherboard. intel core i5 2500k 6mb,kingston 8gb ddr3-1600 mhz, gtx 560ti 448 core, western digital 500gb caviar blue 7200rpm(the one with the drive letter missing after each reboot), crucial m4 64gb ssd, corsair hydro h60 cpu cooler, corsair 650ax 650w PSU. both drive is internal, i do not have any external drives and i attached a screenshot of the disk management.


Attached Thumbnails
Drive letter disappear after reboot-untitled.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2012   #6
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Hi Owen ,

Is it just the drive letter?

I assume you can see it fine in diskmgmt and assign a letter after each restart?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2012   #7
owen0729

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Hi Owen ,

Is it just the drive letter?

I assume you can see it fine in diskmgmt and assign a letter after each restart?
yes, i can see the drive and open in through the manager but i have to do it each time after reboot. is something wrong with my motherboard or hard drives? or it's something wrong with the settings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2012   #8
dsperber

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)
 
 

So let's make sure your story is clear...

You reboot, and the E drive letter is not assigned. You look in Diskmgmt and you see the drive there, but with no drive letter. But both hard drives are shown as ONLINE. The WD drive is not shown as OFFLINE, is it?

The D drive (CD/DVD) is still assigned.

But the WD drive itself is still there, and shows all the same information about primary partition, NTFS, etc., as we see in the screenshot, but it shows no drive letter assigned.

So you right-click on that drive and select "change drive letter and paths..." and then assign E again. And then E remains in effect until the next boot when it again disappears and must be re-assigned once again.

Interesting.

You can also use DISKMGMT to change drive letters for your CD/DVD drive, which is currently D. Just for an experiment, how about re-assigning its letter to say F just for the moment, then change your WD drive letter to D. You can either leave your CD/DVD drive at F, or you can now rename it to E if you want. Anyway, I just want you to try D as the new WD drive letter, with the CD/DVD drive following it somewhere.

Then you can reboot and see what happens. Does D for the WD drive now get retained across boot? And does the E or F drive letter get retained for the CD/DVD drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2012   #9
dsperber

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)
 
 

I'm curious about how you got both of these drives into your system. Did you always have two drives, or did you have one drive (the WD) originally and then installed the SSD drive and somehow "cloned" your C-partition from the WD drive onto the SSD drive, thus freeing up the WD drive for re-purposed use as your "Games" drive?

In my experience, the loss of drive letters like this comes from a "collision" of disk signatures where two drives appear to Windows to be exactly the same physical drive (i.e. signature). Then one will show up as ONLINE and the other is shown as OFFLINE. You need to use the DISKPART and LIST DISK commands, and then SELECT DISK n and ONLINE DISK and EXIT commands, in order to reassign a new and unique disk signature to the problem disk (i.e. the one that is shown as OFFLINE) and then get a drive letter permanently assigned to it.

And this "collision" can really only normally come when you "clone" one hard drive into another, rather than building each one from scratch.

You haven't mentioned anything about ONLINE vs. OFFLINE, but that's certainly one "giant clue" about why that second drive's letter would disappear, and the steps you would normally use to permanently resolve the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2012   #10
owen0729

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
I'm curious about how you got both of these drives into your system. Did you always have two drives, or did you have one drive (the WD) originally and then installed the SSD drive and somehow "cloned" your C-partition from the WD drive onto the SSD drive, thus freeing up the WD drive for re-purposed use as your "Games" drive?

In my experience, the loss of drive letters like this comes from a "collision" of disk signatures where two drives appear to Windows to be exactly the same physical drive (i.e. signature). Then one will show up as ONLINE and the other is shown as OFFLINE. You need to use the DISKPART and LIST DISK commands, and then SELECT DISK n and ONLINE DISK and EXIT commands, in order to reassign a new and unique disk signature to the problem disk (i.e. the one that is shown as OFFLINE) and then get a drive letter permanently assigned to it.

And this "collision" can really only normally come when you "clone" one hard drive into another, rather than building each one from scratch.

You haven't mentioned anything about ONLINE vs. OFFLINE, but that's certainly one "giant clue" about why that second drive's letter would disappear, and the steps you would normally use to permanently resolve the problem.
i think what you said could be correct about the signatures. how can i reassign a new and unique disk signature . since both drives shows in the manager is online. and i also tried to change the drive letter other than E, that didn't work
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Drive letter disappear after reboot




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Logical partitions disappear upon reboot
Hi, Everytime I reboot my machine my logical partitions of the extended drive disappear. They re-appear only when I go to Computer management -> Disk Management and then do refresh drives. It is very frustrating as I have to do this for every reboot. Thanks, Pavan
Hardware & Devices
changing one drive letter all 3 partitions change to that drive letter
sir, i have windows 7 desktop. there are some partition on it.but there is problem with these partition. All the three partition have the same drive letter.i attach a link showing the picture. all three partitions are dynamic , simple. if i open these drives only the contents of one drive are...
Hardware & Devices
Custom folder icons disappear when drive letter changes
Hi all, I don't think this is exactly related to customization, but rather maybe the way Win7 handles file paths. Anyway, here's my problem: I have an external HD with many folders with custom icons. On my PC the drive letter which is always assigned is G. Now, when I use it on a friend's PC,...
Customization
Installed otf fonts disappear after reboot
hello, this is my first post here. (i've been reading this forum for sometime, good stuff) i've stumbled upon this weird bug when i was trying to install .otf fonts... fonts installing fine and applications can see/use them with no problem. i can see fonts in 'fonts' list, everything is fine...
General Discussion
SATA DVD RW Drive Disappear Ocassionally Until Reboot
Hi All, I have a SATA DVD RW Drive. The drive would appear when I boot my computer and I can use it with no problem. Occasionally...,especially when I leave my computer overnight, my DVD RW would disappear. I couldn't locate it from "My Computer" or "Device Manager". However when I reboot...
Hardware & Devices
New items added to Dock disappear after reboot
I hope I have placed this post in the correct area of the forum. Yesterday I thought I would tidy up the icons on my desktop by adding some to appropriate areas of the dock by dragging and dropping. I also took the opportunity to rename and rearrange older icons already in the dock. All was fine...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App