Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: help with good 32gb of ram

09 Apr 2012   #21
Thornton

windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
I can answer that. The only problem is that you are trying to hold your computer to the rules of Windows XP...when they don't apply anymore. Once you understand how Windows 7 uses memory, you'll see that you most likely have no issue at all and don't need more memory.
thank you for filling me in. it is good to know. still 32gb is rather important when you are live editing clips of data WHILE its caching, youl find the more you have, the more it can cache , in which case as you edit, more will free up, if you do not have enough, you will be editing as much as you are caching, slowing down your machine.

programs like mentalray take a SUDDEN hard hit on your ram then halt.

programs like lux render use a lot for a long time, as much as a week at once.

programs like maya and inventor fall in the same catagory of working while you are caching. when you have 3.9 million faces it has to prebuffer on you screen, only so much can be done on your graphics card.

and if you have a problem and need yo look somthing up while you are doing all this... your SOL.

there are three parts to this.

i NEED about 20gb of ram for rendering

i WANT allot of space left over

i LIKE to go a little over kill to partially future proof my machine should my other components upgrade and demand more

if i can find a way to fit 24gb of ram over 4 dims i will considder that, especially if it is less expensive. still, over kill is good in the media/communications industry.
Hi there
I'd suggest for Rendering etc you'd probably be BETTER off with a decent GPU which offloads this stuff from the processor.

VM's tend to EAT RAM for breakfast but unless you are running a Huge server operation and want several dozen VM's up at once 16 GB RAM on a Home computer is probably more than enough with a decent GPU, a good processor such as an Intel I7 and an SSD.

If you feel you want 32 GB -- fine it's your choice but IMO you might get better value for money in looking at a GPU, a decent processor and an SSD.

Gaming BTW doesn't actually need loads of RAM -- fast Video processing and Disk I/O is more important.

Cheers
jimbo
i agree, and disagree.

i am running a 6970, much more power than one would assume i need, the 3d applications dont utilize more than 80% of my gpu at any givin time, and look to the ram.

as for gaming, especially bf3, you see a larger performance increase from the ram and cpu than gpu. i found this out from overclocking.

and like i said, i could go for 24gb of ram, i just have no clue how to do it in 4 dims


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Apr 2012   #22
richnrockville

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Thorton.. hit the nail on the head with his comment.

"If you feel you want 32 GB -- fine it's your choice but IMO you might get better value for money in looking at a GPU, a decent processor and an SSD."


Same IMHO
Rich
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #23
Thornton

windows 7 Professional
 
 

ok, so i figure, because im taking most of the parts from my old build here and am going to make a rendering server to help render faster... i MIGHT be able to get away with less, but i will say, i want faster ram.

people have told me that 1866 ram isnt REALLY as fast as it says it is, then the comment gets a little confusing, stuff about it just having a higher voltage to simulate a faster transfer rate.

im curious to know if buying 16gb of 1866 is going to be a big improvment (speed wise ) from 1600.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Apr 2012   #24
Thornton

windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
ok, so i figure, because im taking most of the parts from my old build here and am going to make a rendering server to help render faster... i MIGHT be able to get away with less, but i will say, i want faster ram.

people have told me that 1866 ram isnt REALLY as fast as it says it is, then the comment gets a little confusing, stuff about it just having a higher voltage to simulate a faster transfer rate.

im curious to know if buying 16gb of 1866 is going to be a big improvment (speed wise ) from 1600.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL

also, this ram says it is design for the p67 north bridge by intel, the new mobo im looking at is a p77, does that mean the ram is going to take a performance hit? if not, does that mean their would be better ram to use that may work faster on a p77?

better yet, the mobo im looking at supports 2133 ram. if i can REALLY utilize this speed of ram, i wouldnt mind picking up to packs of ths...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231468
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #25
Thornton

windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
ok, so i figure, because im taking most of the parts from my old build here and am going to make a rendering server to help render faster... i MIGHT be able to get away with less, but i will say, i want faster ram.

people have told me that 1866 ram isnt REALLY as fast as it says it is, then the comment gets a little confusing, stuff about it just having a higher voltage to simulate a faster transfer rate.

im curious to know if buying 16gb of 1866 is going to be a big improvment (speed wise ) from 1600.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL

also, this ram says it is design for the p67 north bridge by intel, the new mobo im looking at is a p77, does that mean the ram is going to take a performance hit? if not, does that mean their would be better ram to use that may work faster on a p77?

better yet, the mobo im looking at supports 2133 ram. if i can REALLY utilize this speed of ram, i wouldnt mind picking up to packs of ths...

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL
been doing some research, sonds like the real problem isnt that they are overclocked, rather that the bios of even machines that support that much ram will not recognize it. sounds like a flick of a switch in the bios can fix this too my understanding on most boards, and it may then bu unstable, in which case it may require cpu voltage manipulation to regain a stable setup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #26
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

That's the ram I was using. Only 8GB with a 6950. It never came close to maxing my ram or GPU. I can play BF3 all day long and it won't use 50%.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #27
Thornton

windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
That's the ram I was using. Only 8GB with a 6950. It never came close to maxing my ram or GPU. I can play BF3 all day long and it won't use 50%.
im happy its that simple for you lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #28
James7679

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I'd be very interested to see what exactly is running when you say BF3 is using 95% of your 10 gigs of ram.

When I am running BF3, my memory usage never goes over 50%. Besides a fully functional 7 x64 OS, I am running;
Nvidia CC
Nvidia display driver
TS3
Procon
XFire
Origin
Firefox
Fraps
Logitech gaming center
Logitech profiler
MSE
Afterburner
CoreTemp
SpeedFan


And you can see my system specs below, I run the game on auto and avg 60fps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #29
Thornton

windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James7679 View Post
I'd be very interested to see what exactly is running when you say BF3 is using 95% of your 10 gigs of ram.

When I am running BF3, my memory usage never goes over 50%. Besides a fully functional 7 x64 OS, I am running;
Nvidia CC
Nvidia display driver
TS3
Procon
XFire
Origin
Firefox
Fraps
Logitech gaming center
Logitech profiler
MSE
Afterburner
CoreTemp
SpeedFan


And you can see my system specs below, I run the game on auto and avg 60fps.
nothing changes, except origin suddenly starts using more ram, and bf3 fluctuates between 3gb and 5gb. between the two i max around 95% ram, to me, with 10 gb, its way to high to have even 6gb
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #30
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
as for gaming, especially bf3, you see a larger performance increase from the ram and cpu than gpu. i found this out from overclocking.
I didn't see any difference going from 4GB to 8GB of RAM. But I saw a massive difference when I upgraded from my Nvidia 9800GTX+ to my Nvidia GTX 580.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 help with good 32gb of ram




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
What would be a good used laptop capable of 32gb RAM to get?
I want a laptop that can go up to 32 gb, but one that is used, so that I can buy it for cheaper than buying new. Does anyone have a recommendation?
General Discussion
PC very slow on 32Gb RAM
Morning all, I found myself winning 4 x 8Gb Corsair 1600Mhz sticks, the system happily accepts 2 x 8Gb sticks, but when all four are attached, the PC behaves like it is running out of memory and is incredibly slow. I have browsed the site for solutions, but to no avail. Is there a physical...
Performance & Maintenance
Kingston USB Drive 32gb Don't Works at all
Hello there, I bought a new Kingston USB 32GB, but its not working. When I opened the USB from the pack and attached for the first time, it had virus in it. I cleared it and it was working. But now I try to plug in it, but it don't works. Windows keep saying that USB not recoganized.. I get...
Hardware & Devices
Transcend 32GB USB slow transfer - USB 2.0 becomes 1.1?
The problem: transfer rates with my USB drive, normally 14-16 MB/s, sometimes drop to ~1 MB/s. When the speeds slow, checking the drive properties suggests the drive is connected to a USB 1.1 port. The speeds are a bit of an issue as I need to transfer outlook pst's (~4-5 GB at a time) to and from...
Performance & Maintenance
Apcer SSD 32GB Dead?
Hello all Since yesterday my SSD Drive (:D) dont work.It shows as RAW Drive even if i try to change it to NTFS or try to format it an error pop up like semaphore timeout. Also when i try to clean instal on the selected drive it comes with error 0x80070057. I tryed to instal the drive in all...
Hardware & Devices
new 32gb thumb drives
i was told that these new thumbdrives were readyboost ready. come to find out they are not. they are also fat 32 file sys. is there a way to change them to ntfs and to put a ready boost app on them? i didnt see anywhere on the menu for me to re-format into ntfs. any help ?
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:43.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App