Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 500GB WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue...not working right..?

17 Apr 2012   #11
GEWB

Linux (Mint is primary) / XP, Win7 Home / Win7 Pro, Ultimate / Win8.1 / Win10 archived VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by redblade8 View Post

Mm, but the problem is I have only a laptop...would that even be possible for my ASUS N53SV..?

It currently doesn't show up in device manager either, nor does device manager refresh when it's plugged in via the sata to usb kit...
Ah, my bad for not doing a search and finding that's a laptop. I understood it doesn't show up as an external device, that is why I made the suggestion (if you had a desktop) to try and eliminate one variable.

Not hard-and-fast, but down-and-dirty...

Basicly there are three devices:
A) Drive
B) Interface device
C) Computer
Condition -
A+B plugs into C
C doesn't find A+B
Test condition - Eliminate B and test if C finds A
Plug A into C directly
If C finds A, problem points to B
If C doesn't find A, problem points to A
Regards,
GEWB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Apr 2012   #12
redblade8

Windows 7...Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GEWB View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by redblade8 View Post

Mm, but the problem is I have only a laptop...would that even be possible for my ASUS N53SV..?

It currently doesn't show up in device manager either, nor does device manager refresh when it's plugged in via the sata to usb kit...
Ah, my bad for not doing a search and finding that's a laptop. I understood it doesn't show up as an external device, that is why I made the suggestion (if you had a desktop) to try and eliminate one variable.

Not hard-and-fast, but down-and-dirty...

Basicly there are three devices:
A) Drive
B) Interface device
C) Computer
Condition -
A+B plugs into C
C doesn't find A+B
Test condition - Eliminate B and test if C finds A
Plug A into C directly
If C finds A, problem points to B
If C doesn't find A, problem points to A
Regards,
GEWB
Ah, I see. My hardrive has been tryed with 2 different sata to usb kits, so it's probably the hardrive, and not the kits themselves.
Is it possible to plug it into my laptop directly? And then hook up my main hardrive to the sata to usb, boot from it, and see if I can get all my data?
And if my computer still doesnt find it...then maybe I can buy a new PCB for my hardrive? I saw some on ebay, though I'm not sure if putting a new one on would work ( not right model for it and such... )

So A = My hardrive in whole.
B = ? My Sata to usb kit?
C = My computer.

Thanks for the idea, maybe I can try it if I can get it to plug into my computer directly? Would that work?

Is it ok to unscrew the current PCB and see if theres anything I could re-soldier maybe..?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2012   #13
GEWB

Linux (Mint is primary) / XP, Win7 Home / Win7 Pro, Ultimate / Win8.1 / Win10 archived VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by redblade8 View Post

Ah, I see. My hardrive has been tryed with 2 different sata to usb kits, so it's probably the hardrive, and not the kits themselves.
Indeed it is a good assumption (unless all three interface devices were faulty - not likely). Strong pointer to defective drive.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by redblade8 View Post
Is it possible to plug it into my laptop directly? And then hook up my main hardrive to the sata to usb, boot from it, and see if I can get all my data?
Not likely. The 500GB is 3.5" but most laptops drives are 2.5" so no the WD will not fit.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by redblade8 View Post
And if my computer still doesnt find it...then maybe I can buy a new PCB for my hardrive? I saw some on ebay, though I'm not sure if putting a new one on would work ( not right model for it and such... )
Try other things first. Find someone who will allow you to plug in your drive into a desktop unit.

Also, you could use a live Linux disk, boot to it then plug in your external WD and see if Linux finds it.

If all fails, then consider a replacement board for the WD. It must be the exact model as a replacement.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by redblade8 View Post
So A = My hardrive in whole.
B = ? My Sata to usb kit?
C = My computer.

Thanks for the idea, maybe I can try it if I can get it to plug into my computer directly? Would that work?
Correct.

The WD will not plug into your laptop motherboard directly.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by redblade8 View Post
Is it ok to unscrew the current PCB and see if theres anything I could re-soldier maybe..?
Not likely to find the problem visually. Soldering would be a nightmare unless you have special equipment ("micro" soldering under magnification) as surface mount components are not easy to work with!

Regards,
GEWB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Apr 2012   #14
redblade8

Windows 7...Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GEWB
"Try other things first. Find someone who will allow you to plug in your drive into a desktop unit.

Also, you could use a live Linux disk, boot to it then plug in your external WD and see if Linux finds it.

If all fails, then consider a replacement board for the WD. It must be the exact model as a replacement."

My friend 'could' be willing for me to let me use his desktop...but I doubt that he would...XD

My dollar store has some cheap CD's ( they say they're also RW, but I'm not too sure about that... ) I can put Linux to that, boot from it & see if it works/registers something..?

Replacing the circuit board/PCB on my WD hardrive, it has to be the same model? How do I even know what model PCB to buy? My hardrive's serial number (S/N) is WCAYU7073204 & Model Number is WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0
( which is what I got from the western digital site when entering my serial number in http://tinyurl.com/77swtf4 )

What if I buy just some random PCB that says it's for the WD5000AAKS? Would it work, or not you think?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2012   #15
GEWB

Linux (Mint is primary) / XP, Win7 Home / Win7 Pro, Ultimate / Win8.1 / Win10 archived VM
 
 

You should use the same revision number as your drive.

Regards,
GEWB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2012   #16
redblade8

Windows 7...Ultimate x64
 
 

Alright. This one then looks good?
WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0 2060-701640-002 REV A pcb
I was looking at this one, and even contacted their support on it ( they have very quick support there ) Buying online can be iffy I guess, sometimes things can be fake/being sold as defective...So I hope that this goes ok..?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2012   #17
GEWB

Linux (Mint is primary) / XP, Win7 Home / Win7 Pro, Ultimate / Win8.1 / Win10 archived VM
 
 

If the data is important, give it a try as a last resort or send it to a professional recovery company.

Regards,
GEWB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 500GB WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue...not working right..?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
SATA 6 WD Caviar Black 1TB
Anyone playing with the new Western Digital SATA 6 Caviar Black HD (64meg Cache)??? I bought one the other day loaded Windows on it and it thrashes like crazy. My older SATA Blacks (32meg) are quiet as church mice. I read somewhere that this might be normal??? I find that hard to believe but......
Hardware & Devices
WD Caviar Blue on it's way out? + Device Error (1117)
First off, hope this is in an appropriate forum. Today, I turned on my PC to be met with a Windows startup repair window. After trying to find a solution (and failing), the pc turned off (I think it was meant to restart?). Well, I booted it up again, and it successfully made it into windows. I...
Hardware & Devices
toshiba L450-13R from wd 250gb blue to a wd 500gb black system recove
hello i was wondering could you help me im in a stick i have one of these TOSHIBA SATELLITE PRO L450-13R.well i have a blue wd 250 sata hdd in in and i wanted to update my hdd to a wd 500gb sata black hdd.so i got one and put it in to my laptop and put in my system recovery windows 7 home premium...
General Discussion
Western Digital WD2500 Caviar SE not working---files are trapped!
I recently changed the graphics card in my desktop, which caused a large crash that resulted in my computer absolutely refusing to boot, even when I install the old card. Anyway, I had 2 hard drives.. an 80GB boot drive with my OS and software, and a 250GB drive with all of my personal data (music,...
Hardware & Devices
Blue Screen out of the Blue, Was working fine for 9+ hours then c...
Well i had my computer on all day since i woke up @ 8 in the morning gaming and what not. It had finally crashed on me while i was playing dirt 2 a couple of mins ago. I had fixed all my previouse blue screen problems by not using any AMD OverDrive Settings for my Radeon HD 4850. My specs...
BSOD Help and Support
WD- 2TB Caviar Green won't initialize
Ok so first time posting here but i'm very hopeful for assistance in this. I have a 2tbWD Caviar Green hard drive SATA connection in a brand new system new install of windows etc. Also have a 500g WD hard drive with windows on it that works perfectly. So the problem is the bios sees the 2TB HD...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:33.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App