Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SSD controllers

28 Apr 2012   #1
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 
SSD controllers

Now a simple query(s) from a simple me.

I don't fully understand why the maker of an SSD does not make the controller chip.

It seems a bit like sticking a Toyota steering system in a Ford car or am I missing something?

I have Googled this query and have come up with some quite varying reasons

I have been using Crucial with mixed success and having used Corsair RAM a fair bit thought I might put one (Force series GT) in my tester machine but there has not been much mention of this brand and I am wondering if anyone else can recommend it please?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Apr 2012   #2
pbcopter

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

The SSD manufacturer buys most if not all components from other vendors, not just the controller.
They design the device but use available components to build it. However, they may contract with another company, with a particular expertise, to customize a component if needed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2012   #3
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post

It seems a bit like sticking a Toyota steering system in a Ford car or am I missing something?
Yes, you are missing something.

Many of the major sub-components of automobiles are NOT made by the brand on the car. It may well be that both Ford and Toyota use steering systems built by company X.

It's been that way for many decades and is true across many industries---not just automobiles and PCs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Apr 2012   #4
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post

It seems a bit like sticking a Toyota steering system in a Ford car or am I missing something?
Yes, you are missing something.

Many of the major sub-components of automobiles are NOT made by the brand on the car. It may well be that both Ford and Toyota use steering systems built by company X.

It's been that way for many decades and is true across many industries---not just automobiles and PCs.
Yeah I know Ignazatsonic I was really using that as a metaphore really - I suppose if you make lemonade you don't make the bottles or caps eh?

No I just can't think why a large memory maker like some of them are could not work out a controller for their own SSD? I reckon they would have enough bright sparks around to do that
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2012   #5
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
I just can't think why a large memory maker like some of them are could not work out a controller for their own SSD? I reckon they would have enough bright sparks around to do that
I'm sure they could.

But they don't.


That tells me there are economic reasons not to---less net profit per SSD sold.

Otherwise they would, all else being equal.

The skill set of current Crucial employees (just as an example) may not be highly correlated to the skill set needed to make controllers. They might need to make a bunch of new hires to do controllers--thus cutting profit margin.

If the fee charged by the controller makers were to double overnight, you might see a different outcome.

Likewise, if third-party controllers were seriously dodgy or significantly increased Crucial's support/warranty expenses, you might see a different outcome.

I doubt if there is anything mysterious about it. Sub-contracting has become the way of the world as skills have become so specialized.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2012   #6
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
I just can't think why a large memory maker like some of them are could not work out a controller for their own SSD? I reckon they would have enough bright sparks around to do that
I'm sure they could.

But they don't.


That tells me there are economic reasons not to---less net profit per SSD sold.

Otherwise they would, all else being equal.

The skill set of current Crucial employees (just as an example) may not be highly correlated to the skill set needed to make controllers. They might need to make a bunch of new hires to do controllers--thus cutting profit margin.

If the fee charged by the controller makers were to double overnight, you might see a different outcome.

Likewise, if third-party controllers were seriously dodgy or significantly increased Crucial's support/warranty expenses, you might see a different outcome.

I doubt if there is anything mysterious about it. Sub-contracting has become the way of the world as skills have become so specialized.
Yeah you're right it was a daft query in hindsight
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2012   #7
carwiz

Windows 7 Pro-x64
 
 

Quote:
Yeah you're right it was a daft query in hindsight
Not at all. Most folks simply don't realize the power of economy of scale and production cost reduction. Sort of like; why make 1 item for a $1 when you buy 10 for $2. You just let those that have the ability do their best at what they do lower your costs. Factories all over the World function this way. You would be amazed at how many companies are involved in making a single product. As a Toyota example, no less than 400 companies make parts for the Tundra truck factory near here. Some make individual pieces and others put pieces together to make assemblies that the Toyota factory uses to build the trucks. Those same companies are making parts for other manufacturers too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2012   #8
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Yeah mate my fault as usual mouth in gear brain somewhere back in the pits LOL!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2012   #9
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

It's a good question John. As they have said, it is economics. Also the companies who I know of who make SSD controllers, JMicron, Marvell, etc, also make SATA and LAN controllers so are the "experts" in control circuitry. My reasoning at least.
Samsung is the exception so far, they do make there own 3 core SSD controller.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2012   #10
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
It's a good question John. As they have said, it is economics. Also the companies who I know of who make SSD controllers, JMicron, Marvell, etc, also make SATA and LAN controllers so are the "experts" in control circuitry. My reasoning at least.
Samsung is the exception so far, they do make there own 3 core SSD controller.
Thanks Gary no mate it was a bit of a half baked question - I should have thought it out a bit better than that.

Having said that I was lookingat the Samsung today as a replacement and put the Crucial in the other machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SSD controllers




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Game Controllers
hey every one , please notice that I'm using Window7 RC 7100 , after clean installation and while connection my game controller i went to control panel but i couldn't find Game Controller Setting ? is it hidden if so how to make it visible and if not how can i get it , thanks A lot for the incoming...
Gaming
Query fan controllers
I fitted a Lamptron FC5 V2 controller a couple of days ago partly because enhanced to the look of the machine and I have extra fans fitted that are not needed to run at full tilt just yet. Now for the dumb query just what motherboard items does one attach the sensors to and how. My obvious...
Hardware & Devices
IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
Two questions. First, what are they? Second, is it normal to have 3 ATA Channel 0 and 3 ATA Channel 1? I only have one hard drive. http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/7161/capturetq.png
Hardware & Devices
Xbox 360 Controllers
I don't own a Xbox 360 or have used the controllers with a PC, my question is will any Xbox 360 controller work with windows or does it have to be a specific one?
Gaming
IDE ATA/Atapi Controllers
Something that has bugged me long enough that I will now as the question...is it normal to have 3 instances of 3 different controllers in the Device Manager? This doesn't include the controllers listed under Storage Controllers.
Hardware & Devices
system interrupt controllers?
Im using a gigabye ex58-ud5 mobo corei7 920 cpu 3 gig corsair 1333 mhz ram (locked at 1066 cos of intel supporting faster speeds only on the 1000$ processor) geforce 8800 GTS 640 mb 2 7200 rpm Seagate barracuda 200 gig hdds in raid0 now in my device manager ive got 9 items in other...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App