Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help regarding connecting Laptop TO Desktop using LAN CABLE


01 May 2012   #1

Windows 7 64 Bit
 
 
Help regarding connecting Laptop TO Desktop using LAN CABLE

Hello friends I am new on this forum
I just bought a laptop and I was trying to connect it to my desktop by using LAN CABLE for data transfer.
I have tried everything my way but it is not working

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections -> Local Area Connection -> Properties -> Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) -> Properties

I set my computer's ID to 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
GateWay : 192.268.1.1

I set my Laptop's ID to 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
GateWay : 192.268.1.1


What more I need to do to connect them?
Please help me as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 May 2012   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

If the cable isnt going through a router or switch it needs to be a "null" cable, also called a crossover. A regular cable wont work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2012   #3

Windows 7 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
If the cable isnt going through a router or switch it needs to be a "null" cable, also called a crossover. A regular cable wont work.

No sir I am connecting it directly to both the devices.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 May 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

This should Help you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2012   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Please go with what zigzag has said and use a crossover cable and not a standard one and these are usually marked as such. The way to tell is look at the colours and placing of the wires into each end if they look the same it is not a crossover cable.

Also, for peer to peer connection, IP adresses need to be different for them to "see" each other.

Hope this helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2012   #6

Windows 7 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ibshaw View Post
Please go with what zigzag has said and use a crossover cable and not a standard one and these are usually marked as such. The way to tell is look at the colours and placing of the wires into each end if they look the same it is not a crossover cable.

Also, for peer to peer connection, IP adresses need to be different for them to "see" each other.

Hope this helps.

Sir I have tried it with my friends laptop and it worked finely with the same cable but I am missing some settings I think so
Please guide me what more it needs to do
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2012   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nkam View Post
Sir I have tried it with my friends laptop and it worked finely with the same cable but I am missing some settings I think so
Please guide me what more it needs to do
you mentioned "same cable" which means the standard cable right? you should use what zigzag3143 suggested, a crossover cable would fix your problem.

Please click HERE for step by step on how to make crossover cable
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2012   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

I set my computer's ID to 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
GateWay : 192.268.1.1

I set my Laptop's ID to 192.168.1.2

Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
GateWay : 192.268.1.1


For you to be able to transfer data from one PC to another the IP addresses must be different - if you have them as stated above, it will not work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2012   #9

Windows 7 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by timbog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nkam View Post
Sir I have tried it with my friends laptop and it worked finely with the same cable but I am missing some settings I think so
Please guide me what more it needs to do
you mentioned "same cable" which means the standard cable right? you should use what zigzag3143 suggested, a crossover cable would fix your problem.

Please click HERE for step by step on how to make crossover cable

Oh thanks for pictorial answer but I am using Crossover Cable only
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2012   #10

Windows 7 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ibshaw View Post
I set my computer's ID to 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
GateWay : 192.268.1.1

I set my Laptop's ID to 192.168.1.2

Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
GateWay : 192.268.1.1


For you to be able to transfer data from one PC to another the IP addresses must be different - if you have them as stated above, it will not work.

I am sorry I set laptop's IP to 192.168.1.3
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help regarding connecting Laptop TO Desktop using LAN CABLE




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Help regarding connecting Laptop TO Desktop using LAN CABLE
Thread Forum
connecting libraries from my desktop to my laptop Network & Sharing
Difficulties connecting desktop(wired) & laptop(wifi) via Homegroup Network & Sharing
Help regarding connecting Laptop TO Desktop using LAN CABLE Network & Sharing
Resolution Issue when connecting Laptop to Monitor via HDMI cable Graphic Cards
Connecting to Xbox Live using Ethernet Cable, Laptop & USB Dongle Network & Sharing
Connecting laptop to desktop General Discussion
Connecting laptop to a desktop General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33