Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: System refuses to boot after memory upgrade


04 May 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
System refuses to boot after memory upgrade

I've just tried to upgrade my PC's memory from 8GB to 16GB and have hit a rather worrying problem in that the PC now refuses to boot. Initially, once I'd replaced the old memory modules with the new ones, I got three beeps on power-up, which I quickly established was the result of my not properly seating the modules. Once I'd made sure they were firmly inserted I tried again, and this time all I get is the computer powering up - so all the lights come on and the fans kick into life - but then it powers down again without even attempting to boot: I don't even get to the BIOS. After a few tries I decided that it might be an issue with one or more of the new modules, so I swapped them back to the original 8GB kit and I still get the same problem. My PC is essentially DOA. Whilst I was inserting/re-inserting modules I did try to avoid and issues with static discharge. I wonder if perhaps I've disturbed a connector somewhere, although I couldn't see any signs of this when I re-opened the case to check.

The new modules are a 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 dual-channel 4-module kit (4x4GB). They were replacing a 4 module 8GB DDR3 dual-channel kit (4x2GB), so in both cases all four slots were in use. Motherboard is an Intel DP55WG, which is listed by Corsair as being compatable (16GB is the max for this motherboard). I've been running this system for two years prior to my upgrade attempt this evening, and it's been rock solid with no issues.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas I could try? Maybe I should reset the CMOS for instance? Note that I'm not a hardware guy, and messing around inside the case isn't something I normally even consider trying... But I thought that this would be a very simple, trouble-free upgrade!

I'd be grateful for any assistance as I really need this machine back up and running ASAP.

M

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 May 2012   #2

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bits
 
 

Check the voltage on the motherboard boot menu. Happened to me once.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 May 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by f1andy83 View Post
Check the voltage on the motherboard boot menu. Happened to me once.
But how do I do that if I can't even get to the BIOS? As I say, I'm no expert on these matters!

M
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 May 2012   #4

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bits
 
 

Good question. I forget how I handled that. I think you need to put the old memory back change the voltage to match the new memory and plug the new one after. But make sure you selecting the right voltage.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 May 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by f1andy83 View Post
Good question. I forget how I handled that. I think you need to put the old memory back change the voltage to match the new memory and plug the new one after. But make sure you selecting the right voltage.
But as I said in my original post, I tried putting the old memory back in and it still won't boot. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

M
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 May 2012   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Do I understand this correctly:

You can no longer boot with the ORIGINAL memory sticks?

Even with just 1 of the original 4 sticks?

It certainly sounds like something got dis-connected while you were inside the case or the RAM is not inserted correctly.

Did you notice the keyway on the bottom edge of the RAM sticks which must be honored if you intend to properly seat the sticks? Are those little locking arms on each end of the RAM slots up and locked into place?

Take another look inside for unconnected cables or empty connectors that you cannot explain.

You could pull out the battery for a minute or so to clear the CMOS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 May 2012   #7

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bits
 
 

I was gonna suggest holding the power button for 30 seconds with the power, and 30 seconds with the power cable unplugged. But the last. Post makes sense maybe something got disconnected by accident. Best thing is to leave the minimum amount of things plugged in and see if it boots up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 May 2012   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Do I understand this correctly:

You can no longer boot with the ORIGINAL memory sticks?

Even with just 1 of the original 4 sticks?

It certainly sounds like something got dis-connected while you were inside the case or the RAM is not inserted correctly.

Did you notice the keyway on the bottom edge of the RAM sticks which must be honored if you intend to properly seat the sticks? Are those little locking arms on each end of the RAM slots up and locked into place?

Take another look inside for unconnected cables or empty connectors that you cannot explain.
Yes, that's correct.

I didn't try with just one stick though, will give that a go in the morning. Is it possible that the RAM still isn't properly seated, even though I'm not getting a three beep warning from the motherboard? Perhaps I need to use a little more pressure. One issue I had is that the graphics card (ATI Radeon 5850) is right under the memory slots, making it awkward to access the clips at one side. Perhaps this is related.

M
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 May 2012   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mollysnoot View Post

I didn't try with just one stick though, will give that a go in the morning. Is it possible that the RAM still isn't properly seated, even though I'm not getting a three beep warning from the motherboard? Perhaps I need to use a little more pressure. One issue I had is that the graphics card (ATI Radeon 5850) is right under the memory slots, making it awkward to access the clips at one side. Perhaps this is related.

M
Are those locking arms on the RAM slots locked in the up position or not?

Did you notice the keyway or not?

Get the video card out of there temporarily if it is interfering.

It can take a lot of pressure to seat RAM, but if you've got the keyway mis-aligned it will never happen.

The keyway forces you to properly align since it is NOT at the midpoint of the stick. The sticks will go in ONLY 1 way. That is--there is such a thing as "backwards" and "backwards" will not work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 May 2012   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mollysnoot View Post

I didn't try with just one stick though, will give that a go in the morning. Is it possible that the RAM still isn't properly seated, even though I'm not getting a three beep warning from the motherboard? Perhaps I need to use a little more pressure. One issue I had is that the graphics card (ATI Radeon 5850) is right under the memory slots, making it awkward to access the clips at one side. Perhaps this is related.

M
Are those locking arms on the RAM slots locked in the up position or not?

Did you notice the keyway or not?

Get the video card out of there temporarily if it is interfering.

It can take a lot of pressure to seat RAM, but if you've got the keyway mis-aligned it will never happen.

The keyway forces you to properly align since it is NOT at the midpoint of the stick. The sticks will go in ONLY 1 way. That is--there is such a thing as "backwards" and "backwards" will not work.
They appear to be locked up, and the top ones clicked into place. The bottom ones didn't click up fully though - they needed a bit of manual assistance (very tricky with that card in the way). I'm starting to think it may be worth removing the graphics card, but I'm a bit wary of doing so as it looked pretty well fixed in. I did appreciate the the keyways/notches had to be lines up and I believe that they were.

Thanks for your help by the way.

M
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 System refuses to boot after memory upgrade




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: System refuses to boot after memory upgrade
Thread Forum
Random slow boot times after memory upgrade Performance & Maintenance
Solved Startup repair after SSD upgrade on dual boot system, need help! General Discussion
Solved Windows 7 Refuses to Boot Hardware & Devices
Computer refuses to boot, and I don't have Windows 7 disk General Discussion
Windows 7 refuses to password protect system a General Discussion
Windows 7 refuses to boot up BSOD Help and Support
How to Upgrade Vista to W7 on a Dual Boot System Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33