Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.

Windows 7: Looking for a readyboost drive for an old T42.

11 May 2012   #1
FuturDreamz

Windows 8 Pro (32-bit)

Looking for a readyboost drive for an old T42.

My sister had=s an old ThinkPad T42 that I had upgraded to Windows 7 last year. It runs pretty well, but it's a little slow. I Had upgraded it to 1GB of RAM by replacing the DIMM below the keyboard, but I can't upgrade it to 2GB because the socket on the bottom of the laptop is damaged (presumably because someone forcibly tried to install DDR2 ram and when it didn't fit though it was a design flaw).

It has a CardBus slot that never gets used, so I was thinking of trying to find a flash drive that fits in it to use for ReadyBoot. I don't really want to use a USB drive, because then it sticks out and takes up one of the two USB ports.

Does anyone know where I could find such a drive? ideally 2GB or more?

My System SpecsSystem Spec

17 May 2012   #2
FuturDreamz

Windows 8 Pro (32-bit)

Anyone?
My System SpecsSystem Spec

Looking for a readyboost drive for an old T42.

Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
What is Readyboost?
Readyboost is NOT virtual RAM from a flash drive. Readyboost is NOT RAM at all. Readyboost is a cache used by your hard drive. Basically it copies stuff you normally use to the speedy Readyboost cache, where it can be used faster. Readyboost give an all round performance boost, and is more...
Hardware & Devices
Have SSD; would thumb drive Readyboost help performance?
I have a SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD, alas, driven only by a SATA-2 capable motherboard. Would a thumb drive Readyboost help performance? All my thumb drives are USB 2 (but I do have an active USB 3 adapter in the system). I have various sizes from 128MB to 32GB -- does size matter?
Performance & Maintenance
ReadyBoost Help!
I've been using my 4 GB Pendrive as ReadyBoost since last week. But I don't notice any improvement in my PC. My System Info : OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit CPU 3.00 GHz RAM 3098 MB(4 GB)
ReadyBoost drive keeps reporting problems on startup
I've got a 4G USB drive that I am using as a readyboost drive. Half the time it seems to work fine but frequently when I start my computer up I get a dialog "Do you want to scan and fix LEXAR (Z: ). There might be a problem with some files on this device or disk etc. Do you think the disk is...
Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 SP1 x64 and ReadyBoost Flash Drive
*Posted the same question on Neowin as I am looking for a wide variety of opinions, you will see why* HI, I know I will get flamed about using ReadyBoost at all but let me just fishing saying, in the system I just built for my wife it make a WORLD of difference. Call it the Placebo effect...
Win 7 randomly loses ReadyBoost key drive
I have just updated Vista home Premium to Win7. Most things are working fine, but Win 7 keeps losing my 8GB USB drive that I am using for ReadyBoost. At random (but most times) after a re-boot the drive shows up, but with no file contents shown. The legend in properties says that it cannot be used...
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd