Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New SSD Transfer Help

13 Jun 2012   #1
jeepmann4x4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 
New SSD Transfer Help

Ok the research is over and the ssd is in the mail (Samsung 830 128gb)....

Ive seen a lot of threads about new setup but I have a question,

I have Acronis True Image Home 2011 w/plus pack....
Can't I just Clone my hdd to the ssd?
Will it have the right alignment?
If I do the above will it perform at its best?

As you can see I'm new to ssd's...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Jun 2012   #2
essenbe
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Enterprise X64
 
 

It needs to be in AHCI mode and be properly aligned to do it's best. The fastest and easiest way is paragon Migrate (19.95). It will transfer the OS and programs and align the SSD in about 20 minutes. I have it and use it all the time. Reduce the size of your OS drive to less than the SSD and it will do the rest easily. You can move your user files to another drive or partition, delete the hyberfile and depending on the amount of ram, reduce the page file size. That is about all I do. I have OS and programs on the SSD, games and user files on spinning hard drives. That is all I go, except verify alignment and that trim is on, make sure defrag is off. Nothing else needs to be done, except enjoy the speed.

WHS has a tutorial on the subject SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2012   #3
jeepmann4x4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
It needs to be in AHCI mode and be properly aligned to do it's best. The fastest and easiest way is paragon Migrate (19.95). It will transfer the OS and programs and align the SSD in about 20 minutes. I have it and use it all the time. Reduce the size of your OS drive to less than the SSD and it will do the rest easily. You can move your user files to another drive or partition, delete the hyberfile and depending on the amount of ram, reduce the page file size. That is about all I do. I have OS and programs on the SSD, games and user files on spinning hard drives. That is all I go, except verify alignment and that trim is on, make sure defrag is off. Nothing else needs to be done, except enjoy the speed.

WHS has a tutorial on the subject SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System
I was (am) trying to do it without buying a new program....My OS Drive is all ready for the move, I have all my user files..ect.. on other drives, I resized my "C:" to 128gb (only has 55gb on it), hyberfile off,page file at 2gb (i have 16gb ram),defrag will be turned off...

What is a good way to verify alignment and that trim is on?

I do have access(friend) to an old version of Paragon Migrate OS to SSD v 10.0.17 (I think) Will it work?

Or how about Acronis True Image Home 2012? (I have 2011)

I just dont need another program that I'll only use once or for just one thing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Jun 2012   #4
essenbe
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Enterprise X64
 
 

I hope that version works, it's the version I use. It will have to be installed and activated on your computer first though. It will work fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2012   #5
jeepmann4x4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
I hope that version works, it's the version I use. It will have to be installed and activated on your computer first though. It will work fine.
Your talking about...Paragon Migrate OS to SSD v 10.0.17 (I think)? I had seen 2.0 was in the link, so was not sure.

how about this....What is a good way to verify alignment and that trim is on?


SideNote: All I can find about Acronis True Image Home is .....well some say it will, some say it will not.....and this kb for it ...
Solid State Drive Support in Acronis Products | Knowledge Base:
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2012   #6
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

jeepman,

First and foremost: Make a backup to an external USB drive so that you can recover from any disaster.

I use Win 7 Backup and Restore to make a backup to an external USB.

Since this will be your first time at this, then to make sure that we correctly advise you then please carry out:

HOW TO POST A SNAPSHOT OF DISK MANAGEMENT DISPLAY
Run disk management:
WIN |
type DISKMGMT.MSC | ENTER
This method gives you a display without the unneeded navigation pane.
WIN=key with Microsoft logo on top.



Maximize the output of Disk Management:
ALT-Spacebar
key combo | X key (selects Maximize) |
Drag the field separators (such as between Status and Capacity) to show entire field.


Make a snapshot:
WIN |
type SNIPPING | ENTER | New
Drag the cursor around the area you want to snip.
File | Save as | select save location and name | Save


Post the snapshot:
Post a File or Screenshot in Seven Forums

===========================================
thanks, karl
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2012   #7
essenbe
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Enterprise X64
 
 

Here is an old one I kept. The offset is the alignment.

-check-alignment.png

Or if you want to do it the easy way, download and install AS SSD, open the program and you don't have to run the test. In the upper left corner it will tell you firmware number, driver and alignment. Make sure you are in AHCI mode. AS long as all the numbers in As SSD are in green, you're OK. Bad ones will be in red.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2012   #8
jeepmann4x4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Here is an old one I kept. The offset is the alignment.

Attachment 216559

Or if you want to do it the easy way, download and install AS SSD, open the program and you don't have to run the test. In the upper left corner it will tell you firmware number, driver and alignment. Make sure you are in AHCI mode. AS long as all the numbers in As SSD are in green, you're OK. Bad ones will be in red.
Thanks, I downloaded that program the other day so i'll use it when ready.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jun 2012   #9
jeepmann4x4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
jeepman,

First and foremost: Make a backup to an external USB drive so that you can recover from any disaster.

I use Win 7 Backup and Restore to make a backup to an external USB.

Since this will be your first time at this, then to make sure that we correctly advise you then please carry out:

HOW TO POST A SNAPSHOT OF DISK MANAGEMENT DISPLAY
Run disk management:
WIN |
type DISKMGMT.MSC | ENTER
This method gives you a display without the unneeded navigation pane.
WIN=key with Microsoft logo on top.



Maximize the output of Disk Management:
ALT-Spacebar
key combo | X key (selects Maximize) |
Drag the field separators (such as between Status and Capacity) to show entire field.


Make a snapshot:
WIN |
type SNIPPING | ENTER | New
Drag the cursor around the area you want to snip.
File | Save as | select save location and name | Save


Post the snapshot:
Post a File or Screenshot in Seven Forums

===========================================
thanks, karl

Sure I'll post it up.... What are we going to try?


Attached Thumbnails
-diskmgmt.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2012   #10
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

that's nice and well, but completely unreadable.

Could you repeat that with something else other than black for a background?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New SSD Transfer Help




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Easy Transfer - Transfer To & From Computers
How to Transfer Files from One Computer to Another Computer with Windows Easy Transfer This tutorial will show you how to transfer your user files and settings from one computer to another using the Windows Easy Transfer tool.This feature is available in Vista and Windows 7. It can also be used...
Tutorials
Transfer of HDD
Hello. I want to transfer my Windows 7 Hard Drive to this other PC desktop. When I booted up with the PC, the Windows 7 logo started to load and then stopped. It gave me the message stating it failed to load and if I wanted to reload or check for errors, something to that effect. So, I realized...
Hardware & Devices
Windows Easy transfer can't transfer files from a 64-bit computer to a
I recently purchased a WD Passport external Harddrive, and have attempted to use it with transferring files from a laptop running Windows 7 32-bit to a desktop running Windows 7 64-bit. Windows Easy Transfer won't allow me to do this, giving me the error msg: "Windows Easy transfer can't transfer...
General Discussion
Can an Easy Transfer archive be used/read without using Easy Transfer?
This sounds like a dumb question, but here's the background. My daughter's XP laptop crashed (trashed hard disk that I doubt we can rescue much data from) and so we got her a Windows 7 computer. Unless we can rescue much of the old data from crashed XP, she's pretty much starting off empty. ...
General Discussion
Don't want to transfer user files with easy transfer
I migrated to a new machine using easy transfer. I copied my files (user and data) to a hard drive that I installed in my new machine. I copied everything back and it all worked fine. Over time (the last year) I have altered my config and even wiped the OS and did a clean install. My problem...
General Discussion
WHAT to Transfer?
I am going to replace this OLD/Tired W'XP Puter shortly with a Virgin W'7 64Bit Puter...........in Preparation for that day I am loading up a 16GB Flash Drive with everything I can think of. like My Favorites; My Photos......would you load and copy Cookies? I would LOVE to be able to someway...
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App