Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: a request to this de device has been cancelled

27 Jun 2012   #11
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

I would definitely check to see if your motherboard manufacturer has an updated chipset driver.

Even if they don't it might be a good idea to uninstall and reinstall the driver.

I would also still run the drive diagnostic as soon as you can. See if you can burn the ISO on another PC.

Glad to hear you are up and running.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Jun 2012   #12
amoretam

Windows 7 x64bit Home Premium
 
 

that s what I did following the link I posted!
downloaded and installed latest chip-set driver but not the Storage drivers (inside the drivers package) because they cause problems as he said..

thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2012   #13
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

So you ran WD diagnostics via Hiren's and found no problems, right? SMART revealed a healthy disk?

Those orphan files found by chkdsk are recovered files that the file system does not know where to place in the folder structure, or something along those lines (as far as I recall). I've found that most of the time they are remnants of temporary working files that can be deleted anyway.

And you've got it all up and running great?

No loss of data?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jun 2012   #14
amoretam

Windows 7 x64bit Home Premium
 
 

I don,t know for sure, That disc is a huge sample library for my Virtual Instruments. I cannot know for sure until I play all of those instruments to find out, and that is going to take forever....isn't there any other way to find out?

Also I still don,t know what happened...

would you please be so kind to help me understand what happened answering my questions in my last post? That is to prevent this from happening again, because if it happens in the middle of a session I am screwed.

Thanks man
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2012   #15
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by amoretam View Post
Also I still don,t know what happened...

would you please be so kind to help me understand what happened answering my questions in my last post? That is to prevent this from happening again, because if it happens in the middle of a session I am screwed.

Thanks man
It's really hard to say what happened. I would keep an eye out for those error messages in event viewer. If you removed and did not reinstall the storage driver I would guess you wouldn't get those warnings/errors any longer.

As far as chkdsk automatically running during your accidental reboot, it sounds like Windows may have set the dirty bit for that volume. The quote below is from MS command line reference for the FSUtil command and describes a little about why a chkdsk might be triggered on reboot:

Quote:
If a volume's dirty bit is set, this indicates that the file system may be in an inconsistent state. The dirty bit can be set because the volume is online and has outstanding changes, because changes were made to the volume and the computer shutdown before the changes were committed to disk, or because corruption was detected on the volume. If the dirty bit is set when the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the consistency of the volume.

Every time Windows starts, Autochk.exe is called by the Kernel to scan all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume.
Browse around the drive's folder structure to see if you notice anything unusual, anything that jumps out at you. Hopefully you were already somewhat familiar with it's folder structure. I don't think you have to "play all of those instruments to find out" but if you successfully "play" a certain percentage of them, without ever running into a problem, you can certainly feel more confident about it. The higher percentage the better.

In addition to keeping an eye on event viewer I would do two more things:
  • Find a way to back up all that data if it is important to you in any way.
  • Download the Window's version of WD Diagnostics from that same page I posted a link to. Just to keep an eye on that disk from time to time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2012   #16
amoretam

Windows 7 x64bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by F5ing View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by amoretam View Post
Also I still don,t know what happened...

would you please be so kind to help me understand what happened answering my questions in my last post? That is to prevent this from happening again, because if it happens in the middle of a session I am screwed.

Thanks man
It's really hard to say what happened. I would keep an eye out for those error messages in event viewer. If you removed and did not reinstall the storage driver I would guess you wouldn't get those warnings/errors any longer.

As far as chkdsk automatically running during your accidental reboot, it sounds like Windows may have set the dirty bit for that volume. The quote below is from MS command line reference for the FSUtil command and describes a little about why a chkdsk might be triggered on reboot:

Quote:
If a volume's dirty bit is set, this indicates that the file system may be in an inconsistent state. The dirty bit can be set because the volume is online and has outstanding changes, because changes were made to the volume and the computer shutdown before the changes were committed to disk, or because corruption was detected on the volume. If the dirty bit is set when the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the consistency of the volume.

Every time Windows starts, Autochk.exe is called by the Kernel to scan all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume.
Browse around the drive's folder structure to see if you notice anything unusual, anything that jumps out at you. Hopefully you were already somewhat familiar with it's folder structure. I don't think you have to "play all of those instruments to find out" but if you successfully "play" a certain percentage of them, without ever running into a problem, you can certainly feel more confident about it. The higher percentage the better.

In addition to keeping an eye on event viewer I would do two more things:
  • Find a way to back up all that data if it is important to you in any way.
  • Download the Window's version of WD Diagnostics from that same page I posted a link to. Just to keep an eye on that disk from time to time.
Alrite!, thanks a lot for your support.....! very generous of you
bye
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2012   #17
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

You're welcome!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2012   #18
amoretam

Windows 7 x64bit Home Premium
 
 

hey how you doing F5ing..
Here I come again with the same problem and same disk but this time Event Viewer says: the file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable please run the chkdsk utility.

When I run chkdsk it gets stuck at 73% and says: an unknown error occurred and something could not be corrected (something like that).

I ran WD diag utility quick test and results were PASS.

It is the second time it happens when I try to connected with this external power supply: Amazon.com: USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Cable Adapter For 2.5 3.5 HDD: Computers & Accessories

Maybe that Psu don't have enough power for a tb hdd??

I don't know but the most important now is that I don't loose all my data, remember that drive only has 20gb free.

Please let me know what can i do

Thanks a lot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2012   #19
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Sorry to see that problems with that drive have surfaced again.

When you do gain access again, you really ought to consider backing up all its data somewhere.

I've got a couple of those PATA/SATA to USB adapters. Both power supplies state they supply 1.5 amps for both 12v and 5v. I looked up specs for a couple of WD's 1TB drives and they state they consume 1.65 amps peak (I imagine that implies at power up). But I've used those same power supplies with many drives and never had an issue, even with 2TB drives requiring 1.75 amps peak.

Look in event viewer and search for wininit and/or chkdsk entries to find the results of the chkdsk that ran and could not repair whatever it was. When you find it you can post it here and we can take a look at it.

Did you run the WD diagnostics/test while connected to the adapter or straight to the motherboard? What did it say about SMART (ok/warning/fail)?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2012   #20
amoretam

Windows 7 x64bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by F5ing View Post
Sorry to see that problems with that drive have surfaced again.

When you do gain access again, you really ought to consider backing up all its data somewhere.

I've got a couple of those PATA/SATA to USB adapters. Both power supplies state they supply 1.5 amps for both 12v and 5v. I looked up specs for a couple of WD's 1TB drives and they state they consume 1.65 amps peak (I imagine that implies at power up). But I've used those same power supplies with many drives and never had an issue, even with 2TB drives requiring 1.75 amps peak.

Look in event viewer and search for wininit and/or chkdsk entries to find the results of the chkdsk that ran and could not repair whatever it was. When you find it you can post it here and we can take a look at it.

Did you run the WD diagnostics/test while connected to the adapter or straight to the motherboard? What did it say about SMART (ok/warning/fail)?
when the hdd did not wanted to boot I inmediately disconnected it from that adapter.

I ran WD diag/test while connected to the mobo..

right now i am running a chkdsk /r D: from the dvd installation (been reading around). It is stuck at 28% but it's been just 20 minutes, let see.


i will check for wininit when it's done and post results..

Than ks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 a request to this de device has been cancelled




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error
I had a 1TB WD Mypassport but having problem with corrupt Master Boot Record Tried to repair my external hard drive using bootrec /fixmbr bootrec /fixboot but i got this error message "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" :cry:
Hardware & Devices
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error
I have a Flash Memory 8GB. I can't Format it, i try format it with of DISK Managment and Command Prompt but i can't. http://www.up3.98ia.com/images/xsm0jmzg8rph7q817j3.jpg http://www.up3.98ia.com/images/yzkwmdjzrqrygb8i88p4.jpg http://www.up3.98ia.com/images/m0w7l5ybp06llxn1yxzu.jpg...
Hardware & Devices
How do I fix a 400 Bad Request? Size of a request header field exceed
Bad Request. Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand. Size of a request header field exceeds server limit. Cookie /n I have read about some fixes in Google. Some I don't trust. Some I don't understand. I have used ATF cleaner to clear away the cookies and all the...
Browsers & Mail
''the last backup was cancelled''
Hello all, I already have readed that if you backup your computer there are different sorts; system image and your files. If I klick ''Back up now'' (in System and Security\Backup and Restore) makes my pc also an system image? And when I did make a backup it sayes: Back up your files ...
Backup and Restore
HDD Error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device
Hi I recently did a clean install of W7 Professional. I installed W7 first on the SSD. Once the operating system was running I then proceeded to add the internal HDD (500G Seagate). Unfortunately the system just does not seem to recognise the HDD. Device Manager: In Device Manager->Disk...
Hardware & Devices
This operation has been cancelled
I have seem similar post but could not find it after I registered for this forum. Besides mine is a Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit problem combined with Outlook 2007 and perhaps the Internet Explorer 9 beta. I can;t guaranteee it but I believe it happened after I installed the IE9 beta, but can't...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App