Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Mouse got light even before turning on power.

17 Jul 2012   #61
GradeAbra

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PwnFrnzy View Post
I remember having the same issue with standby power and having no BIOS option to change it, so I'm guessing you have the same dilemma I went through. I recommend you find a manual of your motherboard's model for this.
Okay, so there's a 3-pin jumper for standby power on your board with one of these buggers on it:


The jumper has all three pins labeled "1", "2", and "3".
The setting you have it on might be on jumpers 2 and 3, the power being at +5vSB to power the keyboard and mouse even when the system is turned off, usually for people who want to be able to wake their computer when it's almost fully turned off.
If you take the jumper and switch it to jumpers 1 and 2, it will put it at +5v and there will no longer be power fed to USB ports when the system is turned off. I think it may apply to PS/2 ports as well unless there is a different jumper.
Bro so i just need to find this jumper and change it to 1 and 2 thats it? Is there anything else i should take note?

And also i don't think the GIGABYTE mother board has this jumper, the only jumper i can find is the CMOS reset Jumper something like that..


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Jul 2012   #62
PwnFrnzy

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

Pretty much. I had an issue with post-shutdown powering of Human Interface Devices (keyboard and mouse) like you are and after I set the jumper to the 1-2 position the devices no longer received power after shutdown.
I'm looking at the manual for your motherboard and no such circuit exists on it. But there is a setting in BIOS that I think you may be missing.
Restart and go into BIOS and go to "Power Management Setup".
Two values labeled "Power On By Mouse" and "Power On By Keyboard" should both be disabled, either of them being enabled will allow them to be fed power after you shut down to both PS/2 and USB Human Interface Devices, thus causing your issue. Please check that and confirm both are disabled, they may be disabled by default, but it's best to check.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2012   #63
GradeAbra

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PwnFrnzy View Post
Pretty much. I had an issue with post-shutdown powering of Human Interface Devices (keyboard and mouse) like you are and after I set the jumper to the 1-2 position the devices no longer received power after shutdown.
I'm looking at the manual for your motherboard and no such circuit exists on it. But there is a setting in BIOS that I think you may be missing.
Restart and go into BIOS and go to "Power Management Setup".
Two values labeled "Power On By Mouse" and "Power On By Keyboard" should both be disabled, either of them being enabled will allow them to be fed power after you shut down to both PS/2 and USB Human Interface Devices, thus causing your issue. Please check that and confirm both are disabled.
Hi, I am aware of that too. Its called ErP Support. If i enable this there will be no more power fed to the PS/2 and usb port(Power On By Mouse" and "Power On By Keyboard" are both disabled.) However if i turn off the main switch and on again, the mouse light up again even though i did not turn on the computer.

When i tried using a Usb cable mouse, theres no more light.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Jul 2012   #64
PwnFrnzy

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

Best to double check the settings I listed. If not, then best I can label it down to is that your Motherboard has a defective transistor that won't disable power feeding to the PS/2 ports. We've gone through any and every possible thing that can cause the issue but we still get nowhere. Sorry man.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2012   #65
westom

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GradeAbra View Post
Bro so i just need to find this jumper and change it to 1 and 2 thats it?
What motherboard is so archaic as to still use jumpers? Jumper even increase manufacturing costs. The transistor (explained previously) is a superior solution that also costs many times less money. What board is so antiquated as to still use jumpers?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2012   #66
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

The transistor and associated circuitry costs more to install and implement than one little jumper. It would appear its a lot more reliable too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2012   #67
westom

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
The transistor and associated circuitry costs more to install and implement than one little jumper.
It would cost more only if the transistor was discrete. It's not. More reliable method, that costs significantly less, is the transistor. Any motherboard using jumpers in the past ten years would be archaic.

OP seeks an option that disconnects his mouse from an 'always on' power supply. Most often set in the BIOS. And stored in CMOS.

Of course, numerous other (rare) problems can exist. For example, the motherboard could have a solder splash or a 'not completely isolated' PC trace. Inspection would easily find that unlikely possibility. Fixing the solder splash is trivial. A PC trace problem - not so easy. Bottom line - the 'always on' power supply is connected to PS/2 ports. The OP does not want that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2012   #68
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

i may have missed a post in this thread ,so bare with me,
i note you said when you plugged a wired mouse in the mouse lights went off, this leads me to think you have a wireless mouse, if this is correct then doesnt the mouse have an actual off/on switch,
turning the mouse off by a switch seems a bit obvious though,
just had to ask .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2012   #69
Kevin Ismail

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Hi GradeAbra

Sorry for not reading all 5 pages threads. If you go to this Spec in Gigabyte site you'll read the red printed this below quote.
Quote:
Unique Features
  1. Auto Green
  2. Smart Recovery
  3. Support for Q-Share
  4. Xpress™ BIOS Rescue
  5. @BIOS™
  6. Supports EasyTune
  7. Xpress™ Recovery 2
  8. Xpress™ Install
  9. Download Center
  10. Q-Flash™
  11. Support for On/Off Charge
  12. Support for Easy Energy Saver
It means your board has features including support for on off charge (via front panel USB whether your PC is on the state of on, sleep, even when it is off). Much clearer explanation can be found here in this Gigabyte site

It is very useful for charging your gadget in a way that it functions as quick charge (faster then normal charger).
This feature is now available with many PC and laptop, but for laptop mostly there is option to turn it off. (found it available on my Samsung netbook and Fujitsu notebook)


I don't have any idea about how to turn it off on the desktop version. But since it is a features said as On/Off charge, then you may just leave it as it is.



hope that help a little.


Kevin
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jul 2012   #70
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by westom View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
The transistor and associated circuitry costs more to install and implement than one little jumper.
It would cost more only if the transistor was discrete. It's not. More reliable method, that costs significantly less, is the transistor. Any motherboard using jumpers in the past ten years would be archaic.

OP seeks an option that disconnects his mouse from an 'always on' power supply. Most often set in the BIOS. And stored in CMOS.

Of course, numerous other (rare) problems can exist. For example, the motherboard could have a solder splash or a 'not completely isolated' PC trace. Inspection would easily find that unlikely possibility. Fixing the solder splash is trivial. A PC trace problem - not so easy. Bottom line - the 'always on' power supply is connected to PS/2 ports. The OP does not want that.
Contrary to what you might think, IMHO having jumpers on a motherboard does not make it archaic.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Mouse got light even before turning on power.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
turning on the fluorescent tube light wakes my pc from sleep
hi i have bizzarre issue when my pc is in sleep mode and i turn on the fluorescent tube light my pc wakes up from sleep . the pc is from a seperate power board on the wall and the on/off button of the fluorescent button is on seperate power board .. both are 1 meter apart on the wall. how...
Hardware & Devices
US B mouse stops working red light is still on
My usb mouse after a couple of random minutes stops working but ther red light is still on, the only fix seems to be restarting the computer, here is a list of things that I ave tried when the problem happens: -unplug and plug it again -tried another usb port -update drivers in the device...
Hardware & Devices
How do I prevent the mouse from turning my display on?
I'm talking just my monitor...Not the PC being in sleep mode. I want just the keyboard to turn on my display when it's in power down mode. I have gone into device manager and deselected (under mouse) the Allow This Device To Wake The Computer option but that doesn't work. This is for Windows...
General Discussion
Turning USB socket power off and on
In theory powered USB sockets (maybe USB2 and later) can control the power if the hardware supports it. I don't know if my H/W supports this function, but that's a mute point as I've never found any S/W that implements such control. Has Windows7 made any advance over XP in this arena? This...
Hardware & Devices
Where can I find a replacement power light?
I have an ASUS essentio and the power indicator light broke. Where can I find a decent replacement? It was connected through a 4 pin molex. Thanks! :geek:
Hardware & Devices
Computer turns itself off and power light stays on
Hey guys. The PC I'm on right now has been turning itself off randomly when I am using it. When it does this the power light is still showing, mouse is still lit up usb sytick still lit up etc. What could be the cause of this and how can I fix this?? Thanks:)
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:06.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App