Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Default Function Keys not working in HP Pavilion tx2500z

14 Jul 2012   #1
roxx4u

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Default Function Keys not working in HP Pavilion tx2500z

I have a HP Pavilion tx2500z (model: KD436AV) laptop with Windows 7 64 bit OS installed. Since last few months, I am not able to use default function keys (F1, F2...F12) and other keys at the top row of the keyboard, including Pg Up, Pg Down, Home, End, Insert, Delete. However, all the Action Keys available on these keys are working without pressing Fn Key (e.g. Sleep, Brightness, num lock etc). I get same Action Key behaviour even after pressing Fn Key.

It looks like, somehow system is locked in action key mode and I am not able to come out of it. I tried to upgrade Bios (currently on latest F.0F version) and also tried to disable the Action Key mode in BIOS, but Action Key mode is not available in BIOS of this computer. Even to enter BIOS, I faced problem because F10 key was not working to enter BIOS setup. I had to connect external keyboard to enter BIOS.

I am disperately looking for help to come out of this situation. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Jul 2012   #2
bassfisher6522

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

I've seen some keyboards (not sure with laptops) that have a way to turn on/off the F keys with a key combination. You might want to check your laptop documentation and see if that is the case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2012   #3
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by roxx4u View Post
I have a HP Pavilion tx2500z (model: KD436AV) laptop with Windows 7 64 bit OS installed. Since last few months, I am not able to use default function keys (F1, F2...F12) and other keys at the top row of the keyboard, including Pg Up, Pg Down, Home, End, Insert, Delete. However, all the Action Keys available on these keys are working without pressing Fn Key (e.g. Sleep, Brightness, num lock etc). I get same Action Key behaviour even after pressing Fn Key.

It looks like, somehow system is locked in action key mode and I am not able to come out of it. I tried to upgrade Bios (currently on latest F.0F version) and also tried to disable the Action Key mode in BIOS, but Action Key mode is not available in BIOS of this computer. Even to enter BIOS, I faced problem because F10 key was not working to enter BIOS setup. I had to connect external keyboard to enter BIOS.

I am disperately looking for help to come out of this situation. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Are you sure the old BIOS did not have an "Action Key mode" setting? Is your new BIOS an update from HP?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jul 2012   #4
roxx4u

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure whether old BIOS had action key mode setting or not. Latest BIOS update was from HP. However, I did try to go back to old BIOS but it didn't help, though I couldn't check the settings as I was not able to enter BIOS setting using F10.

Would check my laptop documentation also, but I really don't have any hope there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2012   #5
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Are you sure you weren't just getting the timing wrong when trying to get into the BIOS? It doesn't seem that the action of those keys can be modified until after the chance you have to enter and make changes to the BIOS, in other words the BIOS has to load its configuration to apply its modifications (including action key modification). Sometimes those manufacturer customized boot splash-screens seem to interfere with the timing. Try tapping the key repeatedly, about a half second between taps, immediately after powering it on.

Other than that, you might have to check to see if there is any HP software on your install that can change the behavior of those keys. You probably have two or three HP folders in your Windows Start Menu.

Quote:
including Pg Up, Pg Down, Home, End, Insert, Delete
I don't think I've ever seen where those keys are modified by "action-key" settings. Could be wrong about that of course. Do those keys have colored icons or text indicating they can perform actions other than the standard "Pg Up, Pg Down, Home, End, Insert, Delete"?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2012   #6
roxx4u

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by F5ing View Post
Are you sure you weren't just getting the timing wrong when trying to get into the BIOS? It doesn't seem that the action of those keys can be modified until after the chance you have to enter and make changes to the BIOS, in other words the BIOS has to load its configuration to apply its modifications (including action key modification). Sometimes those manufacturer customized boot splash-screens seem to interfere with the timing. Try tapping the key repeatedly, about a half second between taps, immediately after powering it on.

Other than that, you might have to check to see if there is any HP software on your install that can change the behavior of those keys. You probably have two or three HP folders in your Windows Start Menu.

Quote:
including Pg Up, Pg Down, Home, End, Insert, Delete
I don't think I've ever seen where those keys are modified by "action-key" settings. Could be wrong about that of course. Do those keys have colored icons or text indicating they can perform actions other than the standard "Pg Up, Pg Down, Home, End, Insert, Delete"?
Yes, I timed it correctly and able to enter in BIOS using external keyboard. So it was not a timing issue. I do have actions assigned to Pg Up, Pg Down, Home, End, Insert, Delete keys e.g. Delete has sys req, Insert has Prt Sc, Pg Up has Pause etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2012   #7
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Any luck in finding HP software that can control how the keys function?

And yeah, thinking a little more on it, I'm pretty sure I have seen those keys with alternative actions assigned on some machines. Guess it's been awhile since running across one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2012   #8
roxx4u

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by F5ing View Post
Any luck in finding HP software that can control how the keys function?

And yeah, thinking a little more on it, I'm pretty sure I have seen those keys with alternative actions assigned on some machines. Guess it's been awhile since running across one.
I did find hp quick launch software but it doesn't provide GUI interface in consumer machines (see url below), I am looking for a permanent sort of solution.
Re: Envy 15 / windows 7 64bit / quick launch buttons / cust... - HP Support Forum
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2012   #9
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

have you tried re-installing the keyboard drivers?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Default Function Keys not working in HP Pavilion tx2500z




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I know what is the function of some keys in registry?
uhh That is a good Thread tittle :p well yeah, i mean when im in regedit, i want to know what some keys are for... but still it is just a big damn tree, im wondering how some people make tutorials of, how to change an option in desktop!, how did they know that if you modify certain keys you...
Customization
Function Keys
I recently bought a new computer with Windows 7 on it and some of the function keys are preset for volume control or screen brightness, for example. I play a MMO and part of it is using the function keys (F1, F6) for attacks or other preset actions. Unfortunately, when I last went in to play,...
Gaming
Function keys stopped working
All the function keys (Fn) key stopped working on my toshiba laptop. Any ideas?
Hardware & Devices
Can't use Function keys
I just got a Dell Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7. The book that came with it talks about Windows Vista. I've tried pressing the "Fn" key then the F(1,2..) key. The F(1,2..) key , then the "Fn" key. No matter what... nothing happens. What am I doing wrong. When Best Buy was "optimizing" it, did they...
General Discussion
Function keys (again)
Why have the function keys been disabled in Windows 7? I know from other threads and tutorials thatthere are ways of getting atthe functions (though not if your laptop is on the old side - my Toshiba Portege can't access the option to show both a display on its screen and a video projector for...
General Discussion
Function keys and W7
I have been trying Windows 7 on my laptop and when I tried using it with a video projector, while it worked, I was unable to get the Function F5 key to work - the one that toggles the display between laptop screen/external screen or both. All I could get was the video projector image and a black...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App