Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: PC case upgrade gone wrong, need help. Hardware/software problem.

21 Jul 2012   #21
BigDaddy0790

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rakesh27 View Post
ok this might sound stupid, check your motherboard standoffs, if one is not correctly in place it could be shorting the board.

For me, mine would boot up for 20secs or sometimes 2 mins before loosing power shutting off, after a day or so off messing about trying to find the solution it came to me when unplugged the whole lot.

I could see one standoff not screwed in properly, as soon as i did, everything was working fine...
Define properly. In my old case I lost some screws and mobo was being held with just 3 not best screwed ones. Now it's 6 from the new case package. Checked.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Jul 2012   #22
PSCO2007

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BigDaddy0790 View Post
Update 2: Tried using SeaTools for Windows by Seagate, their diagnostic utility. Tried short Generic test, it passed. Short drive self test (DST) failed. Both passed on my newer 1TB drive I just bought for storage. Should I take more tests or just try to fix it with the utility? Or just screw it and get a new drive instead of this one? I really don't want to do that.
Download the Dos test - burn to cd - this is a very comprehensive test.
Run the LONG test.
SeaTools | Seagate
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2012   #23
BigDaddy0790

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PSCO2007 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BigDaddy0790 View Post
Update 2: Tried using SeaTools for Windows by Seagate, their diagnostic utility. Tried short Generic test, it passed. Short drive self test (DST) failed. Both passed on my newer 1TB drive I just bought for storage. Should I take more tests or just try to fix it with the utility? Or just screw it and get a new drive instead of this one? I really don't want to do that.
Download the Dos test - burn to cd - this is a very comprehensive test.
Run the LONG test.
SeaTools | Seagate

A bit late for that, I'm in Germany atm, aka not at home. Decided to get a new Windows install and new HDD anyway, just in case it all gets fixed 100%.

I still want to know what that Windows backup thing does. Do I get a full copy of my HDD, meaning I can copy it to another HDD and then just remove this one booting from the new one?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Jul 2012   #24
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Most think Windows backup is not the most refined tool of its type---it's not particularly flexible and has some peculiarities compared to competing applications.

It creates an image file that can later be restored to another drive---not to be confused with copied to another drive.

It usually works. Sometimes it doesn't.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2012   #25
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

The best program to use for backup is Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download It is free and does a very good job. It will automatically make a backup to another drive. If your OS should become corrupt, you can just restore, which takes a short time and you are good to go again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2012   #26
BigDaddy0790

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
The best program to use for backup is Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download It is free and does a very good job. It will automatically make a backup to another drive. If your OS should become corrupt, you can just restore, which takes a short time and you are good to go again.
Main question is, will it also copy all data besides Windows? If not I might as well copy it all myself and just do a clean install, doesn't take that long anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2012   #27
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

It will include everything in the partition, regardless of what it is. You can image one or more partitions, separately or in one single image.

Since imaging programs aren't foolproof, they are a poor way to backup personal data.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2012   #28
BigDaddy0790

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
It will include everything in the partition, regardless of what it is. You can image one or more partitions, separately or in one single image.

Since imaging programs aren't foolproof, they are a poor way to backup personal data.
I'm still a bit confused, image? Isn't it supposed to be burnt on DVD or something? What I mean is is there a way to simply insert another 1TB HDD and clone my main one (has just one partition) there, then boot from it and have it all working? Or will it be easier to just copy all the files and clean install?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2012   #29
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Images are typically about half the size of the occupied space on a partition and thus would not fit on a single DVD.

You can use multiple DVDs to hold images, but they are much more problematic than hard drives for restoration purposes. Highly not recommended.

Cloning and imaging are 2 different things. Macrium can do both.

Cloning and imaging can both fail. It's up to you to make a wild ass guess as to whether you want to bother with it. Success rate?? Probably above 90%, plus whatever time you have to spend figuring out how to do it.

If in doubt, do a clean.

Clean is more reliable.

The only reason to do cloning or imaging is that they might save you some time--by avoiding the time to configure a clean install. But they don't always work. Take your pick.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2012   #30
PSCO2007

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BigDaddy0790 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PSCO2007 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BigDaddy0790 View Post
Update 2: Tried using SeaTools for Windows by Seagate, their diagnostic utility. Tried short Generic test, it passed. Short drive self test (DST) failed. Both passed on my newer 1TB drive I just bought for storage. Should I take more tests or just try to fix it with the utility? Or just screw it and get a new drive instead of this one? I really don't want to do that.
Download the Dos test - burn to cd - this is a very comprehensive test.
Run the LONG test.
SeaTools | Seagate

A bit late for that, I'm in Germany atm, aka not at home. Decided to get a new Windows install and new HDD anyway, just in case it all gets fixed 100%.

I still want to know what that Windows backup thing does. Do I get a full copy of my HDD, meaning I can copy it to another HDD and then just remove this one booting from the new one?
I use the Acronis Discwizard ( link I sent you).

It is fast and accurate.
It will backup your OS and settings and you can restore it and have everything you had before.

Burn the DOS test to a cd and in the future you can check the health of your hdds.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 PC case upgrade gone wrong, need help. Hardware/software problem.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Unsure if its a Software or a hardware problem
Bought a Dell L521X more than a month ago and I am having problems. I am running Windows 7 Professional. This has happened to me once already. And it just happened recently. When I am browsing the Internet or doing anything, the computer gets stuck. I cannot do anything. Mouse doesnt work....
Performance & Maintenance
Random BSOD - hardware or software problem?
Hallo everybody, I hope you can help me. I have continuos BSOD or pc freezing since two months. Dont know if it is an hardware, software or virus problem. I tried different programs and tests, but the pc still has this problem. This is a work station that run only original programs. I send the...
BSOD Help and Support
Virus or Software or Hardware Problem?
Win 7 HP has developed an extremely vexatious problem!!! When logging on or typing in Search or typing in Chrome even typing in Word or email. the number 8 keeps repeating itself continually eg; 888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 etc etc. Even if this key...
General Discussion
Laptop Windows 7 Problem/Software/Hardware? Keyboard problem
Okay, right now I'm currently trying to find out whats wrong with a keyboard that is on a laptop, after the computer starts there are some script errors, I don't know exactly what they are but I ran combo fix without safe mode and restarted the scripts went away...and it started working after...
Hardware & Devices
RAM upgrade problem-Wrong DDR
I have a Dell XPS M1530 with 3GB of Ram. I wanted to upgrade my laptop to 8gb of Ram so I got RAM as a Christmas present. It was DDR 3 RAM at 204 pin. I came to find out that I actually needed DDR2 at 200pin. I believe I can return them but here is what really sucks: all the DDR2 Ram is...
Hardware & Devices
BSOD, software or hardware problem?
I think HDAudio.sys is the problem but I'm not sure. can somebody check my dump file ?
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App