Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Wireless G or N for a Network Printer?

20 Aug 2012   #11
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

It's much easier to setup if the printer itself is network capable, and not "shared" off of a host PC. Then you potentially have to deal with multiple driver versions, permissions, and keeping that PC on all the time. With a network printer, each computer connects to it directly.

That being said, you won't notice a difference in usage between G and N. Most quality home routers can support both at the same time, so worry about the actual features of the printer and related costs.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Aug 2012   #12
BIG RED

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

with a router configured for mixed mode, are you saying that both N and G devices would be running at N speeds? i thought it would occur differently. wouldn't it be more likely that the N devices would have to run at G speed then because the G devices would not be capable of running at N speed? i could be incorrect regarding this, since I am not very fresh on my networking standards.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2012   #13
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BIG RED View Post
with a router configured for mixed mode, are you saying that both N and G devices would be running at N speeds? i thought it would occur differently. wouldn't it be more likely that the N devices would have to run at G speed then because the G devices would not be capable of running at N speed? i could be incorrect regarding this, since I am not very fresh on my networking standards.
This is true, if you are running in mixed mode it will slow down the potential speed of the wireless N devices because it must slow down in order to talk to the wireless G clients.

Max wireless LAN speed in mixed mode will be just 54Mbps, but if you run in 802.11n Only' mode you can achieve 300Mbps. This is a significant increase in wireless LAN speeds.

The problem is that most printers I've seen can only handle wireless G which forces the network to run in the slower mixed mode. For this reason I ended up using Ethernet for my printer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Aug 2012   #14
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BIG RED View Post
with a router configured for mixed mode, are you saying that both N and G devices would be running at N speeds? i thought it would occur differently. wouldn't it be more likely that the N devices would have to run at G speed then because the G devices would not be capable of running at N speed? i could be incorrect regarding this, since I am not very fresh on my networking standards.
This is true, if you are running in mixed mode it will slow down the potential speed of the wireless N devices because it must slow down in order to talk to the wireless G clients.

Max wireless LAN speed in mixed mode will be just 54Mbps, but if you run in 802.11n Only' mode you can achieve 300Mbps. This is a significant increase in wireless LAN speeds.

The problem is that most printers I've seen can only handle wireless G which forces the network to run in the slower mixed mode. For this reason I ended up using Ethernet for my printer.
No, I had a mixed mode and could connect to my router with wireless N speeds on my wireless N computers even though I had a wireless G computer in the network. Maybe it is your router.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2012   #15
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

GeneO is correct. Mixed mode means exactly what the wording suggests...mixed. N devices run at N speeds, G devices run at G speeds.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2012   #16
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

It looks like n speeds will drop while the g device is actively using the wireless while in mixed mode.
Since it is a printer, speeds only drop while sending data to the printer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2012   #17
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
It looks like n speeds will drop while the g device is actively using the wireless while in mixed mode.
Since it is a printer, speeds only drop while sending data to the printer.
This is my understanding. The G devices and N devices run at their rated speeds when active, but all devices share a limited amount of bandwidth that is time sliced between them. Just like any device, the G device will use up some of the bandwidth available but it will use a bigger slice of the bandwidth for the same amount of data than an N device because its rate is lower. Therefore, the G device (or N for that matter) will only affect other device's rates when the available bandwidth is nearly saturated by the devices.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Wireless G or N for a Network Printer?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
using printer shared in a wireless network ??
hi all Ihave a work network in my office & all pc's connected to the internet via WIRELESS ROUTER , i 've cooncted a printer to one of these pc's & manke it shared .. how can i use it in the other pc's ?? because i cant find the printer
Network & Sharing
Wireless printer drops off the network
This is a common problem judging by the results of a web search. I'm hoping one of the good folks here knows of a solution that actually works! I have an Epson Artisan 810 printer that has wireless networking. My desktop connects to this printer by USB and the network by Ethernet. Our laptop...
Network & Sharing
Wireless not working after trying to add HP Printer to wifi network
So I have wireless internet in my house through an xfinity cable/internet modem. While I was trying to set up my new printer on the wireless network, my wireless stopped working. My computer is showing it has a full signal from my wireless network, however it unable to connect. Also, if I connect...
Network & Sharing
wireless network printer connection problem
I have an HP desktop running Windows XP Pro and I network to an HP notebook through a wireless router. I recently purchased a Gateway Laptop with windows 7 Home Premium. It found my wireless router immediately and I was able to get on the net. It also found my HP desktop so I could share files....
Network & Sharing
Windows cannot find printer on wireless network
I have a Macbook Pro that I just loaded a clean install of Windows 7 home 64 bit using bootcamp. I also have a canon printer. I loaded the printer's software in Windows, using a USB cable connected directly to the computer. The printer prints fine. But normally I have the printer connected to an...
Hardware & Devices
network wireless printer shows as computer
On a laptop I just added to the home workgroup, I see the wireless printer in the folder area under network as a computer. But when I go tro Devices and printer and ask to add a new printer it searches and does not find it.. So how come it shows as a computer & not a printer? How do I get it to...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App