Hello, I have some questions.
my pc is switching off instantly in a way that you can only turn it back on if you switch off the psu wait 3-4 seconds then switch the psu back on. The pc instantly starts up without having to press the power on switch. Sometimes it is weeks between system shutdowns.
NOTE: I have tried testing the hardware by swapping out parts between 2 am3 machines. it may be a combination of components. The ram isnt listed as compatible it was cheaper to buy a new motherboard (asus sabertooth am3+ 990fx). I have run all the software listing in some of my other threads.
- What could cause this outside of specific hardware malfunctions (psu, cpu, ram, motherboard and graphics card)?
- Could static build-up causethis issue?
- How can i find out if my case is grounded properly (case in my sig)?
- My pc case is open on both side at the moment, is that making this worse?
- Can there be a compatibility issue between an am3 phenom 2 1100t 6 core cpu and ram (listed in sig)?
- I should have stated this earlier but i have fitted an aftermarket gpu cooler (accelero twin turbo). This was my first attempt at it. The stock cooler included thermal tape/paste rather than heatsinks. I placed heat sinks in those locations
instead. those two have fallen of. could the graphics card cause this after curtain use or if a curtain level of its resources are called on. I should state that the system shutdowns continued to happen even with a second graphics card, but not with a third.
Note: nothing has been overcloocked.
G-card 1 - XFI HD6970 (with aftermarket cooler).
G-card 2 - Powercolor 4870 (Un-modified).
G-card 3 - XFI? HD 3400 (Non-gaming and unmodified).
During my tests, i plugged my spare PSU (modular) into my main pc plugged in my HD4870 turned on the pc. it loaded up, i opened net browser then i heard a very loud pop. the Graphics card was hot for 30 minutes after i removed it. i am asuming at this point that i used an incorrect modular cable for 1 or both of the psi-e 6pin connections.
I assure you that the shutdowns were happening long before the graphics card pop.
I am fully aware that over the past 4-8 months i have affectively flooded the forum with questions about system shutdowns. I
am sorry. i am a very desperate man. the withdrawal symptoms are getting to me.
Thankyou for your time and patience.