Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is my SSD drive driven by Sata3 or Sata2: How to know


08 Sep 2012   #1

windows 7 Pro x64
 
 
Is my SSD drive driven by Sata3 or Sata2: How to know

Hello

I suspect that my SSD drive , Intel SSD 320 120GB, does not operate at is full potential. It is plugged in the Sata3 device on my mainboard.

Looking at my Bios, I see that it is set to IDE. I did try to set it to the AHCI mode, but PC would not boot up

I did try the AS SSD Benchmark tool and I gorr a result of 163
It mention PCiIde BAD

Now, How do I know if my SSD drive is driven with Sata3. If not, how do I set it without re-installing Win 7

Any help appreciated

Martin



Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Sep 2012   #2
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

The 320 is a Sata2. If you want to go AHCI, you have to set the OS also to AHCI. AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2012   #3

windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
The 320 is a Sata2. If you want to go AHCI, you have to set the OS also to AHCI. AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista
Hello

I don't have my original box, but looking in Intel site, I found:

Intel® SSD 320 Series
(120GB, 2.5in SATA 3Gb/s, 25nm, MLC)

How do I set the OS to be AHCI?.

I should say that I had a better result before installing an old hard drive that had an OS intalled. The system took this new (old) drive as the main and it changed the loading drive. Since I did not regain thew same setup.

Have a good day

Martin
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Sep 2012   #4

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

If you do a clean install, go into your BIOS before hand and set the SATA ports to AHCI. That way, when you get everything up and running, everything will be set right. And, like WHS said, the Intel 320 series is a SATA II drive, not SATA III. I think WHS linked you to a guide that will allow you to change it to AHCI within the OS, if that is something you want to try then give it a whirl. A clean install will also work.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck with it and we will try to help as best we can!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2012   #5

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

The SATA speeds can be a bit confusing...........SATA II = 3Gb/s speed, while SATA III = 6Gb/s speeds. You also have to know if you have SATA II or SATA III ports on your motherboard. A SATA III drive is backwards compatible to SATA II and SATA I, but a SATA II drive will never be any faster than the physical limits of SATA II standards.

As far as how to change to AHCI from IDE, either use the guide that WHS posted to change it while in Windows, or get ready to do a clean install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2012   #6

windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
The SATA speeds can be a bit confusing...........SATA II = 3Gb/s speed, while SATA III = 6Gb/s speeds. You also have to know if you have SATA II or SATA III ports on your motherboard. A SATA III drive is backwards compatible to SATA II and SATA I, but a SATA II drive will never be any faster than the physical limits of SATA II standards.

As far as how to change to AHCI from IDE, either use the guide that WHS posted to change it while in Windows, or get ready to do a clean install.
OK, Thank you both for your help. I won't do another install and leave as it it. I got a Sata3 on my new main board, but If my SSD is not using it.

I'm quite lost in both AHCI or IDE so...... If it is not broken... don't touch it....

It work, but maybe not as fast as it should be Ok for me

Martin
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2012   #7

Windows 7 64 bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arjfca View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
The SATA speeds can be a bit confusing...........SATA II = 3Gb/s speed, while SATA III = 6Gb/s speeds. You also have to know if you have SATA II or SATA III ports on your motherboard. A SATA III drive is backwards compatible to SATA II and SATA I, but a SATA II drive will never be any faster than the physical limits of SATA II standards.

As far as how to change to AHCI from IDE, either use the guide that WHS posted to change it while in Windows, or get ready to do a clean install.
OK, Thank you both for your help. I won't do another install and leave as it it. I got a Sata3 on my new main board, but If my SSD is not using it.

I'm quite lost in both AHCI or IDE so...... If it is not broken... don't touch it....

It work, but maybe not as fast as it should be Ok for me

Martin
Your motherboard does not support SATA 3 (6 Gb/s), it supports SATA 2 (3 Gb/s). You have confused the link speed with the SATA revision. So your Motherboard and SSD are both SATA 2.

It will run better with AHCI.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Sep 2012   #8

windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arjfca View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
The SATA speeds can be a bit confusing...........SATA II = 3Gb/s speed, while SATA III = 6Gb/s speeds. You also have to know if you have SATA II or SATA III ports on your motherboard. A SATA III drive is backwards compatible to SATA II and SATA I, but a SATA II drive will never be any faster than the physical limits of SATA II standards.

As far as how to change to AHCI from IDE, either use the guide that WHS posted to change it while in Windows, or get ready to do a clean install.
OK, Thank you both for your help. I won't do another install and leave as it it. I got a Sata3 on my new main board, but If my SSD is not using it.

I'm quite lost in both AHCI or IDE so...... If it is not broken... don't touch it....

It work, but maybe not as fast as it should be Ok for me

Martin
Your motherboard does not support SATA 3 (6 Gb/s), it supports SATA 2 (3 Gb/s). You have confused the link speed with the SATA revision. So your Motherboard and SSD are both SATA 2.

It will run better with AHCI.
I did change my motherboard three days ago. I will change my system info later

New motherboard: Gygabyte B75M-D3H. This one do have a SATA3 port

Martin
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2012   #9
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

It is no big deal to set the OS to AHCI if you follow the link I posted earlier. If you can set it in the BIOS, you can do that too - piece of cake.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Sep 2012   #10

windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
It is no big deal to set the OS to AHCI if you follow the link I posted earlier. If you can set it in the BIOS, you can do that too - piece of cake.
Thank you WHS

I done it and it work just fine. Without your mention : It is no big deal to set the OS to AHCI I would not had replay with it

Have a good day

Martin
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is my SSD drive driven by Sata3 or Sata2: How to know




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Is my SSD drive driven by Sata3 or Sata2: How to know
Thread Forum
Is the motherboard in Samsung NP530U4B-S02IN laptop SATA2 or SATA3? General Discussion
Solved Any difference in Sata2 or Sata3 HDD cable Hardware & Devices
Solved Mystery 8 gig unallocated section on new Sata3 drive Hardware & Devices
Should I install SSD SATA3 on SATA2 motherboard? Hardware & Devices
Driven to distraction by audio problems Sound & Audio
Light Driven Computing News
sata2 hard drive boot issues Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33