Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Looking for new Desktop $300-$400

16 Sep 2012   #1
shortmantuff

Windows 7 Home Premium x86
 
 
Looking for new Desktop $300-$400

Hey Guys,

My parents are looking for a new desktop for their home. They don't need anything special as all they do is play the preinstalled games and use the internet on their computer. Microsoft word is desired as well but 2007 is just fine (if it would be cheaper to purchase seperately that is fine as well). Anyone know of a good, reliable desktop within the $300-$400 price range?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Sep 2012   #2
UnknownReverent

MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by shortmantuff View Post
Hey Guys,

My parents are looking for a new desktop for their home. They don't need anything special as all they do is play the preinstalled games and use the internet on their computer. Microsoft word is desired as well but 2007 is just fine (if it would be cheaper to purchase seperately that is fine as well). Anyone know of a good, reliable desktop within the $300-$400 price range?
Where are you going to purchase the desktop? Online or in a store? A list of places that you're willing to buy from would be helpful. I'm assuming there's no personal preferences on hardware either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2012   #3
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Do they already have a copy of Microsoft Windows to put on this new computer? That's nearly $100 of the build price if you have to buy that for them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Sep 2012   #4
edwar

7 x64
 
 

Personally I'd go with a Dell. New if the cost fits or from there Refurbished site. Some of the Refurbs still have some of the original warranty left as they are Off Lease units coming back from corporations that usually get the top level warranty service.

In years past I have bought several Notebooks that still had 1+ year of warranty left with Onsite Next Business day service. On one such system they replaced everything but the bottom case. It was a new computer when they got done.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2012   #5
shortmantuff

Windows 7 Home Premium x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UnknownReverent View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by shortmantuff View Post
Hey Guys,

My parents are looking for a new desktop for their home. They don't need anything special as all they do is play the preinstalled games and use the internet on their computer. Microsoft word is desired as well but 2007 is just fine (if it would be cheaper to purchase seperately that is fine as well). Anyone know of a good, reliable desktop within the $300-$400 price range?
Where are you going to purchase the desktop? Online or in a store? A list of places that you're willing to buy from would be helpful. I'm assuming there's no personal preferences on hardware either.
I would be willing to purchase in a store or online. I've currently checked tigerdirect and newegg online but just wondering what you thought. I do like Asus computers but they are a little more pricey than the other competition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2012   #6
shortmantuff

Windows 7 Home Premium x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Do they already have a copy of Microsoft Windows to put on this new computer? That's nearly $100 of the build price if you have to buy that for them.
I would buy a computer that already has Windows 7 loaded. Unless you are talking about Microsoft Office in which that case I would have to purchase that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2012   #7
UnknownReverent

MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by shortmantuff View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UnknownReverent View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by shortmantuff View Post
Hey Guys,

My parents are looking for a new desktop for their home. They don't need anything special as all they do is play the preinstalled games and use the internet on their computer. Microsoft word is desired as well but 2007 is just fine (if it would be cheaper to purchase seperately that is fine as well). Anyone know of a good, reliable desktop within the $300-$400 price range?
Where are you going to purchase the desktop? Online or in a store? A list of places that you're willing to buy from would be helpful. I'm assuming there's no personal preferences on hardware either.
I would be willing to purchase in a store or online. I've currently checked tigerdirect and newegg online but just wondering what you thought. I do like Asus computers but they are a little more pricey than the other competition.
I honestly don't like Dell, so I wouldn't recommend that. That's my opinion though. As for buying one in general, just make sure it does have a warranty. I made that mistake when I bought my refurbished laptop. I'll take a look around. For stores, what do you mean? Like Best Buy and so forth?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2012   #8
edwar

7 x64
 
 

After looking at the Dell site they do have some for just under $400 but without a monitor. So I doubt you will find any that included a monitor in that price range. At least not new.

Do your parents now own a computer? If they do what is wrong with it? Why not just fix and or replace the part or parts in that one and reinstall the OS on it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2012   #9
UnknownReverent

MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by edwar View Post
After looking at the Dell site they do have some for just under $400 but without a monitor. So I doubt you will find any that included a monitor in that price range. At least not new.

Do your parents now own a computer? If they do what is wrong with it? Why not just fix and or replace the part or parts in that one and reinstall the OS on it.
I forgot to ask if a monitor was needed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2012   #10
shortmantuff

Windows 7 Home Premium x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UnknownReverent View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by edwar View Post
After looking at the Dell site they do have some for just under $400 but without a monitor. So I doubt you will find any that included a monitor in that price range. At least not new.

Do your parents now own a computer? If they do what is wrong with it? Why not just fix and or replace the part or parts in that one and reinstall the OS on it.
I forgot to ask if a monitor was needed.
All I want is tower. They already have a monitor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Looking for new Desktop $300-$400




Thread Tools






Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
icon created in xp-mode desktop not appearing in win7 desktop
first of all, thanks for all those who have aided me in getting to my virtual pc xp mode now please, a couple of NEW queries: query 1 I have installed a 16 bit DOS based application in the C: of the virtual XP Mode (it is a DOS based application, so there is no installing...
Virtualization
Desktop icon placement does not survive a desktop refresh or a reboot
Recently my desktop icon placement has not been able to stay put if I do a desktop refresh or a computer reboot. I have looked at many internet hits on this same topic and no solution suggested has worked. I've tried them all til I'm blue in the face! I have done the IconCache.db thing where...
General Discussion
Bing Desktop - Set Homepage Image as Desktop Background in Windows 7
How to Set or Unset Bing Homepage Image in Bing Desktop as Desktop Background in Windows 7 Bing Desktop is available for computers that are running XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8, as well as Windows Server 2008 and 2012, and is available in English (US), English (UK), French, German,...
Tutorials
Desktop creating two copies of files when moving items to desktop..
I've searched and I get not even one link on this. I have a clean install of Windows 7 plus Firefox and Dell Drivers.. My problem is it creates a ghost like file that really isn't there because if I delete one, the other becomes inaccessible and I have to manually refresh using F5. Also, when I...
General Discussion
Next Desktop Background - Add or Remove from Desktop Context Menu
Add or Remove "Next desktop background" from Desktop Context Menu in Windows 7 and Windows 8 A desktop slideshow is a slideshow of wallpaper images (pictures) of your choice on your desktop. When a desktop slideshow is being used in Windows 7 or Windows 8, Windows automatically adds Next...
Tutorials
Desktop icons i drag to desktop work but look ugly
I've looked around, no one else seems to be having this problem. I created shortcut icons for Word and the icons work fine but look like broken shortcuts. Most ppl suggest right click-properties-change icon. I do that and there are NO different options to choose from. Its a blank box. ...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:51.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App