Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: USB Keyboard & BIOS Even With Correct Settings


20 Sep 2009   #1

 
 
USB Keyboard & BIOS Even With Correct Settings

A while back I bought a MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. Fine. Works, suits my needs. The only problem was that my keyboard and (Logitech USB mx610 cordless) mouse were not recognized when I used an Acronis rescue disk. I updated the bios on the board (badly needed...F3 to F11) and all was well.

To get into the bios, I had to plug in an old PS/2 keyboard, even though all the appropriate USB settings were set to allow the keyboard to work in 'DOS' mode. So, the bios is updated, my Acronis issues are resolved, but wierdly enough, I was able to get in the bios yesterday with the USB keyboard, but not today.
All the appropriate settings are still enabled (i.e., USB 1.0
Controller:Enabled, USB 2.0 Controller:Enabled, USB Keyboard
Support:Enabled, USB Mouse Support:Enabled. There is no USB Legacy Support setting, but according to Gigabyte, the Keyboard & Mouse Support settings cover that (and then there's the fact that the keyboard works in Acronis Rescue mode).
I have changed some of the settings, but none that should prevent the
keyboard from being recognized in 'DOS' (I think).
Any ideas? It's be nice not to have to plug in a PS/2 board everytime I
wanted to get into the bios.

Sorry if formatting is off...copied and pasted from a usenet post that wouldn't show up.

Thanks for any ideas,
James

Relevant System Specs:

Win7U 64bit RTM
GA-EP45-UD3R (bios F11)
8GB Gskill
Sata Drives
MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Sep 2009   #2

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

That "USB keyboard support" is the setting you need to have enabled. If it is....you may try a new port. If that does not work you may try the latest bios. If you have the latest bios, you may try using the front panel USB or changing ports for the front panel and the keyboard in different combinations.

I just got a new P55 board and had the same issue but a flash cured it.

I would try a different port or mobo header if you have not done it already.

Good luck!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #3

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nate42nd View Post
That "USB keyboard support" is the setting you need to have enabled. If it is....you may try a new port. If that does not work you may try the latest bios. If you have the latest bios, you may try using the front panel USB or changing ports for the front panel and the keyboard in different combinations.

I just got a new P55 board and had the same issue but a flash cured it.

I would try a different port or mobo header if you have not done it already.

Good luck!!
Hi Nate,
bios recently flashed to latest (and quite a performance gain in the process!). The different USB port is a good idea nad worth trying. Thanks!

James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Sep 2009   #4

 

If it worked yesterday, and not today, I have a feeling:

Did you do a warm reboot and go into the BIOS yesterday, and try a cold start directly into the BIOS?

I also had this problem more than once with my rig when I still had my Microsoft Digital Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader (which I later smashed b/c M$ would not take the time to re-tool the Digital Persona 64bit driver for the FP reader so it would work in Vista x64) and I had to keep a PS/2 KB plugged in at all times (or else handy) whenever I wanted to go into the BIOS....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #5

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
If it worked yesterday, and not today, I have a feeling:

Did you do a warm reboot and go into the BIOS yesterday, and try a cold start directly into the BIOS?
Both!

Quote:
I also had this problem more than once with my rig when I still had my Microsoft Digital Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader (which I later smashed b/c M$ would not take the time to re-tool the Digital Persona 64bit driver for the FP reader so it would work in Vista x64) and I had to keep a PS/2 KB plugged in at all times (or else handy) whenever I wanted to go into the BIOS....
That seems to be the reality here, as, now, I just can't get into the bios with this keyboard. The odd thing is that I was able to get into it with this KB after flashing to the latest bios. I don't remember if it was warm or cold boot, but subsequent attempts consisted of both. I only went with this USB board because it was difficult to find a Natural KB with the features I wanted in PS/2, but perhaps I'll have to go back on the hunt.

Any other iseas appreciated!

Thanks,
James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #6

 
 
Problem Solved!

Although I tired other ports, they were all powered USB2 hubs. It was suggested that I try plugging directly into a motherboard port. I did so, and am now in business. NAte suggested the mobo header, but it got right past me. Thanks!

Thanks to all for their suggestions. This is one I will remember!

Thanks again,
Jame
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
Although I tired other ports, they were all powered USB2 hubs. It was suggested that I try plugging directly into a motherboard port. I did so, and am now in business. NAte suggested the mobo header, but it got right past me. Thanks!

Thanks to all for their suggestions. This is one I will remember!

Thanks again,
Jame
I'm glad you got it sorted out. Maybe you can help me next time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 USB Keyboard & BIOS Even With Correct Settings




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: USB Keyboard & BIOS Even With Correct Settings
Thread Forum
what are the correct settings for the ide dvd drive Hardware & Devices
Keyboard doesn't send correct keystrokes Hardware & Devices
I cannot find the correct place to change the USB settings General Discussion
Solved BIOS: Can access BIOS utility, but cannot change settings. General Discussion
BIOS settings for HDD Hardware & Devices
Graphics Card Not Working when BIOS correct Graphic Cards
What is the correct setting in BIOS for eSATA? Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33