Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: hard drive failure

03 Oct 2012   #1

home premium 64 bit
 
 
hard drive failure

A few months ago I made the mistake of buying a used hard drive off Ebay. Last night it died on me and at the moment its in the freezer because Ive heard that freezing the drive can get it up and running long enough to get data recovered.
If that solution doesnt work has anyone got any other tried and tested methods I can try. The data on the drive isnt critical ( I never trusted it enough for that)so it isnt worth paying to get the data back but all the same I would like to recover the data if at all possible.thanks for any help going

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Oct 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (32-bit)
 
 

I suggest getting a professional to take a look at it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #3

home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by IanDrexP View Post
I suggest getting a professional to take a look at it.
that will cost and the data isnt critical
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Oct 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (32-bit)
 
 

You never know maybe its just a little problem, take it first for a check up. That should be free
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Depends on what you mean by failure.

The freezer method works when the failure is that the drive will not spin up or the heads are stuck (motor/mechanical problem).

But if the failure is in communication then the problem can be because some component on the circuit board is defective, or the physical connections are defective (sata socket, power socket, cables).

If the drive spins up and you can hear it running you can sometimes have success by replacing the circuit board in the drive with an exact match from another drive (which you have to buy and then destroy). This is a complicated process, definitely not plug and play, so it is still something best left to a experienced tech.
But if you've got nothing to lose it can be a 'fun' project, provided you can find a cheap drive to cannibalize.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #6

Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, OSX Maverick
 
 

Heating up the drive may allow you to backup data, if the freezing method doesn't work. Just don't heat it in the microwave...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #7

home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
Depends on what you mean by failure.

The freezer method works when the failure is that the drive will not spin up or the heads are stuck (motor/mechanical problem).

But if the failure is in communication then the problem can be because some component on the circuit board is defective, or the physical connections are defective (sata socket, power socket, cables).

If the drive spins up and you can hear it running you can sometimes have success by replacing the circuit board in the drive with an exact match from another drive (which you have to buy and then destroy). This is a complicated process, definitely not plug and play, so it is still something best left to a experienced tech.
But if you've got nothing to lose it can be a 'fun' project, provided you can find a cheap drive to cannibalize.
I should have said in my post that the drive is not spinning and is in an external caddy. Normally when the drive is idle the caddy displays a green light and when the drive is being written to it shows a red light. The caddy is now showing a red light always
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
 
 

Have you Tried checking the drive using a different method? Example: if its an IDE drive connect it to a computer with a known working IDE cable / power cable It may be the caddy at fault!!

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #9

home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Have you Tried checking the drive using a different method? Example: if its an IDE drive connect it to a computer with a known working IDE cable / power cable It may be the caddy at fault!!

Thanks
Ive tried the caddy with another hard drive..caddy works fine
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Testing the caddy is nice. But it is still a good idea to test the hard drive, connected internally in the PC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 hard drive failure




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: hard drive failure
Thread Forum
Solved Hard Drive Failure? or otherwise General Discussion
Hard drive failure Hardware & Devices
Solved Hard drive failure soon? Hardware & Devices
hard drive failure Performance & Maintenance
Possible Hard Drive Failure? General Discussion
Hard Drive Failure Hardware & Devices
win 7 hard drive failure Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33