Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: MSi P67A-GD55 B3, Intel SATA Problem still persists??? Pls Help

09 Oct 2012   #1
SYSFAN1

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 
Need desperate help MSi P67A-GD55 B3, Intel SATA Problem

Hi everyone, this is my first post and first thread in the forum. I hope y'all are doing fabulous.

I just bought an MSi P67A-GD55 B3 from someone yesterday. The board was brand new. It is a revision 3, which is supposed to fix Intel's SATA problems that used to be there before.
I just installed windows 7 Ultimate on it using a usb created by win 7 usb dvd tool, and installation and everything is good till it is at the part where it needs to reboot and then it either stays stuck at a black screen with the HDD light constantly on, or it will say "A disk read error occured Press ctrl+alt+del to restart"

I have literally tried EVERYTHING, from changing to AHCI mode, resetting the BIOS settings, and I have gone nowhere. Please help me on this. Also I tried a different HDD, it also did not work on this PC with the P67-GDD55 B3. I have used multiple hdds, tried the HDD on other PCs, and nothing helped. Also tried changing RAM. PLEASE Help me out, I would be ever greatful towards you.

Specs:

i5 2500
8GB DDr3(2GBX4)
500GB HDD
MSi P67a-GD55
HD6950 From HIS 2gb


I have no way to return on send it to MSi, since it would take me too much to ship it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Oct 2012   #2
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

That motherboard has 2 SATA controllers, one is SATA 2, one is SATA 3. The 2 white SATA ports are SATA 3, the 4 black SATA ports are SATA 2.

Is your hard drive plugged into one of the black ports? If no, then try that.

I'm guessing, but there may be a problem with the SATA 3 ports working until you can load the chipset driver. Which you can't do until you have an OS installed.
So my thinking is to install the OS on the drive while connected to SATA 2, install the chipset driver, then switch the drive to SATA 3, which will have no effect on the OS.

This is a workaround, not a solution. But let's see if that changes anything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2012   #3
SYSFAN1

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
That motherboard has 2 SATA controllers, one is SATA 2, one is SATA 3. The 2 white SATA ports are SATA 3, the 4 black SATA ports are SATA 2.

Is your hard drive plugged into one of the black ports? If no, then try that.

I'm guessing, but there may be a problem with the SATA 3 ports working until you can load the chipset driver. Which you can't do until you have an OS installed.
So my thinking is to install the OS on the drive while connected to SATA 2, install the chipset driver, then switch the drive to SATA 3, which will have no effect on the OS.

This is a workaround, not a solution. But let's see if that changes anything.
No, I tried all the ports but nome helped. It has Sata 6Gbps
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Oct 2012   #4
SYSFAN1

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Yay, same thing

My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2012   #5
SYSFAN1

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Please someone help me
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2012   #6
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Does the HD show up properly in the BIOS?

How did you boot to the DVD to install Windows? My suggested method would be to set the boot order to HD first, and then use the one-time boot order selection of the optical drive. (Actually, I prefer to make a bootable USB flash drive, and install Windows from that. Goes a lot quicker, particularly if you have to do it multiple times.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2012   #7
SYSFAN1

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Does the HD show up properly in the BIOS?

How did you boot to the DVD to install Windows? My suggested method would be to set the boot order to HD first, and then use the one-time boot order selection of the optical drive. (Actually, I prefer to make a bootable USB flash drive, and install Windows from that. Goes a lot quicker, particularly if you have to do it multiple times.)
Oops I mean I installed using a usb drive.
Install went fine, could format hdd and everything, but it'll either say "A disk read error occured, press ctrl+alt+del to restart" or it will get stuck at this black screen with the hdd light steadily on"(I waited 30 mins, nothing happens"

And all this happens when the installer needs to reboot and use the hdd to continue installing windows
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2012   #8
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

That isn't the issue fixed by Revision 3 of the boards. That was a degradation of performance over time. It sounds like you were given a board with dead or failing SATA ports. Have you tried resetting the CMOS of the board? How about installing using a disc? You could also try formatting the disk in diskpart using Shift+F10 once the toitle screen boots.

I'm not sure why sending the board back to MSI is out of the question, because that may be your only choice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2012   #9
SYSFAN1

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
That isn't the issue fixed by Revision 3 of the boards. That was a degradation of performance over time. It sounds like you were given a board with dead or failing SATA ports. Have you tried resetting the CMOS of the board? How about installing using a disc? You could also try formatting the disk in diskpart using Shift+F10 once the toitle screen boots.

I'm not sure why sending the board back to MSI is out of the question, because that may be your only choice.
Just tried installing with a disc and same thing :/

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR REPLYING YOU ARE AWESOME!
KEEP THEM COMING PLEASE
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2012   #10
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

I would first install that hard drive in another computer and run a hard drive diagnostic on it. Chkdsk /r for one, and the manufacturer's diagnostic for good measure. That is to rule out a bad hard disk.

Otherwise I agree with DeaconFrost. Perform CLRTC. If no joy: A defective MB.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 MSi P67A-GD55 B3, Intel SATA Problem still persists??? Pls Help




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Computer keeps BSOD and I have reformatted twice and problem persists
As title says my Computer keeps BSOD and I have reformatted twice and the problem still persists. I have looked for other quick fixes but none seem to be working so I think I am out of my element and need some assistance form people who know how to assess these mini-dumps. I ran driververifier.exe...
BSOD Help and Support
Random BSODs/crashes, corrupted files, problem persists after formats
Hello all! Sorry for writing too much, I'm just trying to include as much detail as I can(in my boring way). I have an extremely annoying problem, and formatting doesn't seem to help: It's something like a cycle, that gets worse and worse until I have to format because the system files are...
BSOD Help and Support
hal.dll problem persists due to upgrade?
Hi I first installed Windows 7 Home Edition, then upgraded to Pro Edition using Anytime Upgrade. I didn't get a disc for the Pro Edition, I just have the Home Edition disc. Now I'm trying to fix a hal.dll error but the system won't repair it. Is this because of the upgrade to Pro Edition? ...
General Discussion
Can't change CPU voltage on MSI 990xa-GD55 Mobo
Does anybody know why I can't increase the CPU voltage beyond 1.346000 V on my MSI 990xa-gd55 motherboard? I've tinkered with practically everything in the BIOS, and searched loads of forums and haven't found my answer. :/ http://imageshack.us/a/img37/7561/51387971.png
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Intel X25M 80 GB SATA SSD
I came across some ads in eBay for this drive @ $109.00 shipped. The price per GB is lower than I have found elsewhere, but looking at the picture and size (2.5"), they appear as though they are designed to fit a laptop, or connect externally to a PC. I don't want anything more to clutter my...
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:20.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App