Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How long do TFT Monitors last for?


10 Oct 2012   #1

Dual-boot: Windows 7 HP 32-bit SP1 & Windows XP Pro 32-bit SP2.
 
 
How long do TFT Monitors last for?

Hello guys,

How long do TFT Monitors last for? Please reply soon.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Oct 2012   #2

7 x64
 
 

Not sure but I have 2 that are going on 8 years old at least and I am typing this reply on one of them. It is connected to my main system in a Dual monitor setup.

As with everything it lasts as long as it lasts.

The other screen in the dual monitor setup is at least 6 years old and a LCD flat screen.
All of them are Dell models.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2012   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

usually until they are acted on by an outside force, cat, floor... things like that.
Or until the internal power coil burns up or capacitors cook.
There will be some minor loss of brightness over the years but seriously they will hold up pretty well if you treat them right at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Oct 2012   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. (On both machines)
 
 

Just one tip: if cleaning screen, use the correct cleaning fluid. I have seen laptops and monitors which have actually been "cleaned" with detergent, washing up liquid and worst of all, an abrasive 'scourer' type cleaner.

Get the proper kit, marked as LCD/LED screen cleaner - usually comes with a small brush and pump spray bottle, with a special pad or cloth to wipe dry. Also cleans spectacles, LCD/LED TV, etc. Gives a lovely finish to a laptop case, as well!
EDIT:

I once had a very cheap & nasty "Hansol" 17" monitor, which lasted only 19 months before it packed up. Stripped it, found the internal power coil as described by the Texas gentleman above. Tried to source a replacement, price was almost as much as a new monitor.

MORAL: you get what you pay for. Replaced it with a Hannspree 19", which I had for 3 years and my grandson now has in daily Gaming use for another 2 years.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
usually until they are acted on by an outside force, cat, floor... things like that.
Or until the internal power coil burns up or capacitors cook.
There will be some minor loss of brightness over the years but seriously they will hold up pretty well if you treat them right at all.
I am a cat and I find your comment offensive. Reported to Catmin.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2012   #6

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bertison View Post
Get the proper kit, marked as LCD/LED screen cleaner - usually comes with a small brush and pump spray bottle, with a special pad or cloth to wipe dry. Also cleans spectacles, LCD/LED TV, etc. Gives a lovely finish to a laptop case, as well!
Isopropyl alcohol is on the pharmacy aisle of most supermarkets and is the active ingredient in all the "proper kit". A couple of bucks will keep your screens clean for a looong time! Any clean microfiber cloth (lens cloth) will do. Be sure and clean while the unit is powered off.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2012   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SYSFAN1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
usually until they are acted on by an outside force, cat, floor... things like that.
Or until the internal power coil burns up or capacitors cook.
There will be some minor loss of brightness over the years but seriously they will hold up pretty well if you treat them right at all.
I am a cat and I find your comment offensive. Reported to Catmin.

People's exhibit 1.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How long do TFT Monitors last for?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: How long do TFT Monitors last for?
Thread Forum
Stuck in startup repair. How long is too long? BSOD Help and Support
Is Nvidia dual monitors a poor cousin to Windows 7 dual monitors?.. Graphic Cards
Monitors Hardware & Devices
Solved Not sure on POST error..one long (i thnik, 3 short) then another long Hardware & Devices
Recycling a movie from my harddrive is taking long long time. General Discussion
3 monitors Graphic Cards
Incredibly long delay from long on to desktop Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33