Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Spare 500GB Sata Dive


15 Oct 2012   #1

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 
Spare 500GB Sata Dive

Hi,I have a spare sata 500gb hdd.Thinking of getting a caddy to hold this drive so that I can make use of it,On the other hand I have seen desktop docking station for a hdd.
Just want to know which one would be the best to get.
A Caddy or the docking station?
Thanks in advance

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Oct 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64 (Windows 8.1, Linux Mint, Windows XP and others in VM)
 
 

I'm not sure what ports you have on your computer, but this is what I use and love it. It works very well and drives can be switched out in 10 seconds.
Newegg.com - Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U External Hard Drive SATA Enclosure Docking Station 2.5” & 3.5” USB 2.0 & eSATA
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

My only concern with the dock is that there is no cooling for the drive. If the drive runs cool, then this is probably a non-issue. I have both, drives in caddies and the dock linked above, and they both work very well. One advantage of the dock is that you can swap drives quickly. I use it on my desk to create images or recover data.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Oct 2012   #4

Windows 7 64 bit SP1
 
 

A drive is more susceptible to damage from static electricity in a dock, especially if you handle it a lot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2012   #5

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

Thanks all,It looks as if its going to be a caddy.
Big Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2012   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I use docks - USB2, USB3 and eSata. But I have many spare disks that I switch a lot - so that is more practical. For a single HDD I guess a caddy is OK.

Never had a cooling problem. The docks are open and the disk sticks out. I would think that a cheap caddy without a fan is more problematic.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2012   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64, SP1
 
 

I have also had good experience with the docks. Easy swapping and perfect for user data migration during re-builds etc.
Have rarely experienced heating problems but depends how much disk activity is going on of course.

A 1TB drive I was working with got a bit warmer than I liked once, but that was easily solved by pointing a small external USB fan at it. Did the trick very nicely.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2012   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I use docks - USB2, USB3 and eSata. But I have many spare disks that I switch a lot - so that is more practical. For a single HDD I guess a caddy is OK.

Never had a cooling problem. The docks are open and the disk sticks out. I would think that a cheap caddy without a fan is more problematic.
Since you have a lot of spare HDD, maybe you could answer this. I have had a HDD for four years and it still works, but I just feel like it could fail any day. Is there a such thing as a life expectancy on a HDD or is there a lot of chance involved? Thanks,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2012   #9
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I use docks - USB2, USB3 and eSata. But I have many spare disks that I switch a lot - so that is more practical. For a single HDD I guess a caddy is OK.

Never had a cooling problem. The docks are open and the disk sticks out. I would think that a cheap caddy without a fan is more problematic.
Since you have a lot of spare HDD, maybe you could answer this. I have had a HDD for four years and it still works, but I just feel like it could fail any day. Is there a such thing as a life expectancy on a HDD or is there a lot of chance involved? Thanks,
Jim, that is hard to say. I have about 20 external drives - all sizes and shapes. I had only one fail on me up to now and that was the controller inside the box (a WD). Once I took it out of the box and stuck it into a dock, it was working again.

I think those disks are pretty robust - unless you drop them. But from what I read from many others, there seems to be a life expectency between 2 days and 10 years.

Howeverr, I would not push my luck. If a unit shows signs of weakening, I would not put essential data on it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2012   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post

I think those disks are pretty robust - unless you drop them. But from what I read from many others, there seems to be a life expectency between 2 days and 10 years.

Howeverr, I would not push my luck. If a unit shows signs of weakening, I would not put essential data on it.
Thanks for the reply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Spare 500GB Sata Dive




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Spare 500GB Sata Dive
Thread Forum
C dive (GB) General Discussion
Can't Create Dive Image Backup and Restore
New hard dive General Discussion
Samsung 500gb Sata not getting detected Hardware & Devices
Missing 250 gb off hard dive out of a 1000 gb Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 Deep Dive Lab Event News
A deep dive into Windows 7 News

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33